Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's the same thing the Catholic Church and many others would say. That is, the Sabbath remains what and when it was; we just have decided to make Sunday (for obvious reasons) the day on which we choose to worship.

It is technically incorrect, therefore, for "Seventh Day" people to charge that the rest of us have moved the Sabbath or changed the day.

Upvote 0

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's the same thing the Catholic Church and many others would say. That is, the Sabbath remains what and when it was; we just have decided to make Sunday (for obvious reasons) the day on which we choose to worship.

It is technically incorrect, therefore, for "Seventh Day" people to charge that the rest of us have moved the Sabbath or changed the day.

The Bible does prophecy that SOMEONE will "change" the Sabbath.

And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time. Daniel 7:25.

The ONLY LAW of God's that has anything to do with TIME is the 4th Commandment...that has to do with the Seventh Day Sabbath....

The Catholic Church takes credit for CHANGING the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday...and sadly Protestants have followed their lead and worship on Sunday, instead of on Sabbath. There is nothing holy about Sunday, anymore than there is about Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does prophecy that SOMEONE will "change" the Sabbath.
Very well, but the explanation I gave earlier is the one that Methodists and most other Christian churches would give in response to a charge that the Christian church had changed or moved or done away with the Sabbath.

The Catholic Church takes credit for CHANGING the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday
No, it does not. In fact, the reason that Catholics are not permitted to discharge their Sunday obligation by attending a Mass on Saturday evening is precisely because it is still considered by the Catholic Church to be the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very well, but the explanation I gave earlier is the one that Methodists and most other Christian churches would give in response to a charge that the Christian church had changed or moved or done away with the Sabbath.

No, it does not. In fact, the reason that Catholics are not permitted to discharge their Sunday obligation by attending a Mass on Saturday evening is precisely because it is still considered by the Catholic Church to be the Sabbath.

Sorry, but I have to differ with you....

Here are 3 quotes from Catholic sources.

“We have made the change from the seventh to the first day, from Saturday to Sunday, on the authority of the one holy, catholic, apostolic church of Christ.” {Bishop Seymour, Why We Keep Sunday}

“Is Saturday the seventh day according to the Bible and the Ten Commandments? I answer yes. Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the seventh day -Saturday- for Sunday, the first day? I answer yes. Did Christ change the day? I answer no! Faithfully yours, J. Card. Gibbons.”
{The Catholic Mirror, official publication of James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore Sept. 23, 1893}

“Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change was her act…”
{Letter from C.F. Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons on October 28, 1895}

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but I have to differ with you....

Here are 3 quotes from Catholic sources.

You're perfectly entitled to differ with me, even though I think you missed the most obvious point.

None of these comments from individuals (not the church) who lived long ago says anything about the Sabbath. Please note that they all speak instead of the day on which the church observes its principle worship service.

Upvote 0

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Albion! I'm sorry! I said that wrong...the Catholic Church didn't CHANGE the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, but they did tell people to worship on Sunday INSTEAD of Saturday. They have dedicated Sunday as the HOLY day, instead of the Bible Sabbath. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion! I'm sorry! I said that wrong...the Catholic Church didn't CHANGE the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, but they did tell people to worship on Sunday INSTEAD of Saturday. They have dedicated Sunday as the HOLY day, instead of the Bible Sabbath. Sorry for the confusion! :)

:)

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I'm not sure if I got you here?
of course the Sunday obligation to attend mass is fulfilled if you attend a mass on Saturday evening!? if it is a mass which isn't always the case anymore due to the severe lack of priests. and if the liturgy of the following Sunday (the next day) is used i.e. the epistles and the gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I got you here?
of course the Sunday obligation to attend mass is fulfilled if you attend an mass on Saturday evening!?

My apologies, but I'm glad you called it to my attention.

I meant to write "the reason that Catholics are permitted to discharge their Sunday obligation...." and somehow typed a "not (permitted)" in there instead. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 19, 2013
United States of America
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. (Romans 14:5, 6 ESV)

Upvote 0