Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last year I wrote a piece that respectfully argued that the Holy Father does not understand the Church in the United States. I wish I could say I was wrong, but the piece has held up. Pope Francis does not seem to understand the Church in the United States, especially its relationship to Vatican II. A recent interview from his diplomatic representative to the United States, His Eminence Cardinal Christophe Pierre, appears to shed some light on the Holy Father’s misperceptions.

In a recent interview with America Magazine, Cardinal Pierre claimed, “there are some priests and religious and bishops [in the United States] who are terribly against Francis as if he was the scapegoat for all the failures of the church or society.” He went on to say, “We are in the church at a change of epoch. People don’t understand it. And this may be the reason why most of the young priests today dream about wearing the cassock and celebrating Mass in the traditional (pre-Vatican II] way.”

Earlier in the interview he focused on the experience of South America, especially as expressed in the Aparecida document that forged a new way for the Church to evangelize, which Cardinal Pierre said was “invented” not by then Cardinal Bergolio (now Pope Francis), who was the president of the drafting committee, but by the Holy Spirit. Cardinal Pierre claimed the bishops of South America and Mexico, “developed a kind of dynamic of working together and looking for solutions together, to evangelize better, which is what the synod [on synodality] is all about. Nothing else: Better evangelization. And they accompanied the people in their suffering, in their difficulties, and their challenges.” He went on to claim that the bishops of the United States were wholly ignorant of this extraordinary development occurring south of them, implying that the Church here in the U.S. is less evangelical than in Mexico and South America.

Continued below.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why should they?

The USA and 1st World developed countries make up less than 1/3rd of
the worldwide Catholic population. In other words, the Vatican serves
the majority of 2/3rds and has to deal with the Catholics in those nations,
which are often oppressive.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"He disparaged how the Church here in the United States welcomes immigrants. “They knock on the door and they are rejected because America today is not an America that receives people, because there is a crisis here…. The church provides Mass for them, but then what? Do we as church help them to make a transition, say, from being Catholic in Mexico to being Catholic in the United States?”

Can't deny that.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"He disparaged how the Church here in the United States welcomes immigrants. “They knock on the door and they are rejected because America today is not an America that receives people, because there is a crisis here…. The church provides Mass for them, but then what? Do we as church help them to make a transition, say, from being Catholic in Mexico to being Catholic in the United States?”

What a bunch of bunk.
:doh:

WHO is America rejecting these days???
Why, we are even allowing terrorists and haters of America to walk thru our borders!
And then we are providing them all with transportation, food, clothing, shelter, and more ...

What a bunch of bunk ...

I will not argue with you ... I know you highly revere the pope, and all that he does ...
but for anyone to say America is not welcoming immigrants?
That is a lie. A total and complete lie.

Yes, maybe all of America is not smiling and waving flags at the 'newcomers' as we watch our Country being ILLEGALLY invaded ...
but oh yes, the Biden Administration is welcoming the invasion, and they are the ones setting U.S. policies.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last year I wrote a piece that respectfully argued that the Holy Father does not understand the Church in the United States. I wish I could say I was wrong, but the piece has held up. Pope Francis does not seem to understand the Church in the United States, especially its relationship to Vatican II.

Sorry, but I don't buy it at all.

Why do persons want to continue to believe that the pope is some old fuddy duddy who doesn't understand anything?
I do not see him that way at all.

I see the pope as being intelligent, capable, and very aware of what is going on in the RCC in America and all around the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimR-OCDS
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WHO is America rejecting these days???
Ok I think I need to clarify. Yes, we do admit thousands to the legal immigration process, which is still very broken. But the sentiment of the typical U.S. citizen is "Go back where you came from!" whether Latin, Arabic, or Asian.

Upvote 0