Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm a cessationist who believes that cessationism is very misunderstood. Continuationists can characterize cessationists as those who "deify Scripture" (I'm not even sure that's possible), who don't believe in the Holy Spirit, who don't rely on the Holy Spirit, and who don't believe that God works miraculously today. I believe these are mischaracterizations. To clear things up a bit, here's a list of what I, as a cessationist, deny and affirm:

Here's what I deny as a cessationist:
  1. That the apostolic sign gifts continued after the age of the apostles. These would include gifts of authoritative healing (Peter didn't pray for a person to be healed, he simply healed them), tongues, and prophesy.

2. That there is any further authoritative revelation from God outside of the canon of Scripture.
Here's what I affirm as a cessationist:
  1. The Christian life is not possible without the power of the Holy Spirit.
  2. God still heals today.
  3. Miracles still occur today.
  4. God still speaks today (through Scripture and through preaching).
  5. All people have gifts from the Holy Spirit - believers and non-believers.
Clear as mud?

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm a cessationist who believes that cessationism is very misunderstood. Continuationists can characterize cessationists as those who "deify Scripture" (I'm not even sure that's possible), who don't believe in the Holy Spirit, who don't rely on the Holy Spirit, and who don't believe that God works miraculously today. I believe these are mischaracterizations. To clear things up a bit, here's a list of what I, as a cessationist, deny and affirm:

Here's what I deny as a cessationist:
  1. That the apostolic sign gifts continued after the age of the apostles. These would include gifts of authoritative healing (Peter didn't pray for a person to be healed, he simply healed them), tongues, and prophesy.

2. That there is any further authoritative revelation from God outside of the canon of Scripture.
Here's what I affirm as a cessationist:
  1. The Christian life is not possible without the power of the Holy Spirit.
  2. God still heals today.
  3. Miracles still occur today.
  4. God still speaks today (through Scripture and through preaching).
  5. All people have gifts from the Holy Spirit - believers and non-believers.
Clear as mud?
Exactly :oldthumbsup: couldn't of said it better myself and therefore I won't even try.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well in my case being a Lutheran it would be expanded in the effectivity (sorry I made that up :|) of Word and sacrament.

Some cessationists affirm that God works miraculously and powerfully through the sacraments.

Upvote 0