Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Another question for those LCMS posters in the know. I just saw something VERY weird on Lester Holt’s Nightly News. They had a story about UFOs and showed video footage of them. They were cone shaped. I also watched a video about this online...I think it was shown on the Today Show where an object flew, dipped into the ocean, split and then disappeared.
It’s said the Pentagon in investigating.

I’ve never believed in UFOs or being visited by life from other planets but after seeing this, I’m not so sure.
@Daniel9v9, IF life would be found on another planet, would the LCMS acknowledge it?
Does life in outer space fit with the Bible or does the Bible and LCMS not allow for the possibility of life in other planets?

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, the LCMS believe in truth wherever it may be; on earth or in space. So, hypothetically, if we discovered life in space, then the LCMS and other Orthodox Lutherans would of course recognise it.

If we were to find microorganisms, then that's a simple explanation — the whole universe share elements, so I don't think it would be radically strange if we found microorganisms in space. We have to remember that earth is in space and the whole universe share properties (though there are probably many properties that we don't know of). It's not like earth and space are two entirely separated environments. So, microorganisms in space wouldn't really challenge the Bible. But at least to my knowledge, we haven't found microorganisms in space, and it's my understanding that microorganisms can't survive long outside of earth. So I think this evidence of the unique climate here on earth that makes life possible. And that's a gift from God.

I think it's highly unlikely that we'll find creatures, or even more unlikely, sentient beings, in space. However, hypothetically, if we did, we would recognise it as true, but something that the Bible is silent on.

Let me just add to this here that UFO footage is probably not extraterrestrial — it's more likely things like weather phenomena, drones, man-made equipment, military exercises, or sometimes simply pranks. And sometimes, it's a political move to distract people from other issues. This happened in the 50's and 60's. There's an article here if you're interested: C.I.A. Admits Government Lied About U.F.O. Sightings (Published 1997)

I think we can safely assume that life, animal and human life, is only found on earth. And unless there is any hard evidence otherwise, I see no reason why we should worry about it.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Another question for those LCMS posters in the know. I just saw something VERY weird on Lester Holt’s Nightly News. They had a story about UFOs and showed video footage of them. They were cone shaped. I also watched a video about this online...I think it was shown on the Today Show where an object flew, dipped into the ocean, split and then disappeared.
It’s said the Pentagon in investigating.

I’ve never believed in UFOs or being visited by life from other planets but after seeing this, I’m not so sure.
@Daniel9v9, IF life would be found on another planet, would the LCMS acknowledge it?
Does life in outer space fit with the Bible or does the Bible and LCMS not allow for the possibility of life in other planets?
Well you can't have an omnipotent God and say He can't create life on other worlds. Besides the idea of life on other worlds has been discussed in theological circles since the 12 century iirc. It's just that nowadays people are led to associate that life on other planets will somehow disprove the existence of God. Which is totally false.

• Agree
Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, the LCMS believe in truth wherever it may be; on earth or in space. So, hypothetically, if we discovered life in space, then the LCMS and other Orthodox Lutherans would of course recognise it.

If we were to find microorganisms, then that's a simple explanation — the whole universe share elements, so I don't think it would be radically strange if we found microorganisms in space. We have to remember that earth is in space and the whole universe share properties (though there are probably many properties that we don't know of). It's not like earth and space are two entirely separated environments. So, microorganisms in space wouldn't really challenge the Bible. But at least to my knowledge, we haven't found microorganisms in space, and it's my understanding that microorganisms can't survive long outside of earth. So I think this evidence of the unique climate here on earth that makes life possible. And that's a gift from God.

I think it's highly unlikely that we'll find creatures, or even more unlikely, sentient beings, in space. However, hypothetically, if we did, we would recognise it as true, but something that the Bible is silent on.

Let me just add to this here that UFO footage is probably not extraterrestrial — it's more likely things like weather phenomena, drones, man-made equipment, military exercises, or sometimes simply pranks. And sometimes, it's a political move to distract people from other issues. This happened in the 50's and 60's. There's an article here if you're interested: C.I.A. Admits Government Lied About U.F.O. Sightings (Published 1997)

I think we can safely assume that life, animal and human life, is only found on earth. And unless there is any hard evidence otherwise, I see no reason why we should worry about it.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The Bible IS silent on this, correct?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible IS silent on this, correct?

Eh, The Trinity and angels aren't from the Earth so technically they are "aliens". I was raised in a Lutheran church but this is my own opinion :)

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Or a simpler answer is that UFO's are demonic.
Look at creation.com and use search for UFO.
There are a series of articles by a Christian UFO investigator.

Looking at this site will not cause you to no longer be Lutheran or turn weird.

But it will show you the truth about UFO's.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally feel that using the excuses of "demon" to explain away the unexplained is just not something that we should lean on. Maybe as a possibility, but not a certainty. Just saying it is supernatural shuts down the conversation about what it could be. That could be one of the possibilities to investigate, but I would personally not lean towards that explanation.

Covert operations from humans, or possibly other natural explanations (including off world or other scientific explanations) are far more likely in this case. I believe in the supernatural, in demons and angels, but I don't think it works here.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well you can't have an omnipotent God and say He can't create life on other worlds. Besides the idea of life on other worlds has been discussed in theological circles since the 12 century iirc. It's just that nowadays people are led to associate that life on other planets will somehow disprove the existence of God. Which is totally false.
I completely agree with this statement.

• Agree
Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It actually looks like the same thing coming down from the sky as is represented on the U.S one dollar bill. That pyramid capstone thing (with the weird eyeball on it, as if the same represents the "watcher of men") which is a little ironic the same was pictured long before now. Could cause one to wonder whether those who designed the first knew before hand that there were these sorts of things, a lucky guess prolly. Well, so as long as the U.S Pentagon approves the whole pyramid capstones in the sky as legit, I guess calling "them" ufo tin foil hat people will be pretty much off limits huh? lol

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It actually looks like the same thing coming down from the sky as is represented on the U.S one dollar bill. That pyramid capstone thing (with the weird eyeball on it, as if the same represents the "watcher of men") which is a little ironic the same was pictured long before now. Could cause one to wonder whether those who designed the first knew before hand that there were these sorts of things, a lucky guess prolly. Well, so as long as the U.S Pentagon approves the whole pyramid capstones in the sky as legit, I guess calling "them" ufo tin foil hat people will be pretty much off limits huh? lol

History did not begin with the United States. The symbol of the eye in a triangle is an ancient symbol of God that is often seen in Church art much older than US currency. The triangle represents the trinity, and the all-seeing eye represents the omnicience of God. Not uncommon in European Churches; Catholic, Lutheran and even Anglican; this one is in a Catholic Church, God radiating wonderous light, shining like the sun, surrounded by 7 winged creatures; Looks like The Revelation to me.
134299860.dLNrg2OW._DSC7398am.jpg

Inside a triangle, it is a Christian symbol, no triangle, Egyptian symbol.

Maybe UFOs are a distraction to draw us away from our faith??? I care about my faith, I don't care about UFOs.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
History did not begin with the United States. The symbol of the eye in a triangle is an ancient symbol of God that is often seen in Church art much older than US currency. The triangle represents the trinity, and the all-seeing eye represents the omnicience of God. Not uncommon in European Churches; Catholic, Lutheran and even Anglican; this one is in a Catholic Church, God radiating wonderous light, shining like the sun, surrounded by 7 winged creatures; Looks like The Revelation to me.
134299860.dLNrg2OW._DSC7398am.jpg

Inside a triangle, it is a Christian symbol, no triangle, Egyptian symbol.

Maybe UFOs are a distraction to draw us away from our faith??? I care about my faith, I don't care about UFOs.

Yeah I do understand that there are some symbols that come from various religious groups, and some (whether they do or not) just seem pretty creepy to me. Even the triangle with the single eye (watcher eyeball). That ressembles more of a capstone ready to be set in place atop an Egytian pyramid. The artwork just reminded me of a secular atempt at something religious or something, pagan like, but so do other things. It was just ironic that these UFO's in the sky are pyramid shaped, that those are somehow legit (and accepted as legit) at this particular time too.

Could be though, I have thought about some things.

And I really do not care about them, never got into the whole UFO stuff, but did find that fascinating that the two things appear similar though, who would have thought of a pyramid shape ship? Thats weird, I am still not convinced regardless of what the Pentagon says, theres just too much technology on our side of things to make things appear to be there so its hard to trust my own eyes these days.

Upvote 0