catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind that it's known that it's about 4 weeks between someone being infected with Covid19 and dying of it. For those that are in more danger, and might die.

So the death rate lags the infections by about 4 weeks, and that means roughly 3 weeks lag on graphs, since Covid detections are often about a week after exposure.

_115500679_us_cases_deaths14nov-nc.png

Covid-19 pandemic: Tracking the global coronavirus outbreak

So the gigantic upward trend means health care workers are in risk of being overwhelmed. They might end up needing in many places a lot of helpers and also triage. But this time there won't be many states in the U.S. really that have hospital medical staff to spare. Other sources of medical workers will be needed in many places.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not saying this is the case in every state, but I saw as of yesterday at a little before 1500 the overall bed usage in GA ( some areas were higher stood at a little short of 80%; meanwhile adult vent use stood at just over a quarter.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, if nothing else, the uptick in cases proves beyond all shadow of a doubt that the "wearing of masks will prevent the spread!" mantra is a crock of baloney. If that was true, after nine months of mandated mask-wearing, the disease should have abated by now. Instead, it's gaining steam again, in spite of mask-wearing.

Which simply proves the veracity of the old proverb that says, "Under the most rigorously-controlled conditions of heat, pressure, chemical application, and a host of other variables, any given biological organism will do pretty much whatever it cotton-pickin' well pleases."

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, if nothing else, the uptick in cases proves beyond all shadow of a doubt that the "wearing of masks will prevent the spread!" mantra is a crock of baloney. If that was true, after nine months of mandated mask-wearing, the disease should have abated by now. Instead, it's gaining steam again, in spite of mask-wearing.

Which simply proves the veracity of the old proverb that says, "Under the most rigorously-controlled conditions of heat, pressure, chemical application, and a host of other variables, any given biological organism will do pretty much whatever it cotton-pickin' well pleases."

Yeah.....I mean it's not like there is around 40+% of the country that have a really huge belief in their 'god' telling them that you shouldn't wear masks and what not. My wearing a mask only marginally protects me from you, if your not wearing one It's useless.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im a food delivery guy and these restaurants are showing no regards for the rules. Over the weekend a few of them were at full capacity when I think they are supposed to be at half. Also, there was no designated line for people that were there for pickup orders. Everyone was standing pretty much right next to each other while waiting

I did my best to find a corner to hide in and keep my face facing away from people. This is how it is at least 3 of the restaurants I got assigned to pick up food from. Im not the type to tell on people or report things but im disgusted that these restaurants are putting profits over peoples health. No one else seemed to care except me. They were all standing right next to each other acting like what would have been normal a year ago

People are being careless so its no surprise to me that the virus is spreading and hospital beds are filling up

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im a food delivery guy and these restaurants are showing no regards for the rules. Over the weekend a few of them were at full capacity when I think they are supposed to be at half. Also, there was no designated line for people that were there for pickup orders. Everyone was standing pretty much right next to each other while waiting

I did my best to find a corner to hide in and keep my face facing away from people. This is how it is at least 3 of the restaurants I got assigned to pick up food from. Im not the type to tell on people or report things but im disgusted that these restaurants are putting profits over peoples health. No one else seemed to care except me. They were all standing right next to each other acting like what would have been normal a year ago

that's ironic because here in Canada, all the resteraunts that I frequent are closed to people, and the few that I see that do have a couple of tables you can sit at and they are all really far apart.

The thai resteraunt I eat at a lot, there is one window, and most people sit in the car or stand back like 10+ feet when not their turn.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
that's ironic because here in Canada, all the resteraunts that I frequent are closed to people, and the few that I see that do have a couple of tables you can sit at and they are all really far apart.

The thai resteraunt I eat at a lot, there is one window, and most people sit in the car or stand back like 10+ feet when not their turn.
I think greed is a big problem here in America as well as pride and arrogance. But I think its great that the restaurants are taking this serious where you live and Canada has a better culture then America

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not saying this is the case in every state, but I saw as of yesterday at a little before 1500 the overall bed usage in GA ( some areas were higher stood at a little short of 80%; meanwhile adult vent use stood at just over a quarter.
I think 2 things helping Georgia some, for a little while at least.

First hand learning seems necessary to many people, who won't believe until it happens in their own town to people they know... Most every state has a lot of people that won't wear masks until people they know are dying....

It's like a certain part of the people can heed warnings, but another part of the people cannot learn from warnings and instead have to learn the hard way -- by having it hit their locale (and kill).

But Georgia learned that first-hand lesson (local deaths) during their own summer surge, part of the summer surge in the Southern states. (when hot weather forced people indoors, and the virus spreads far faster indoors)

North and South Dakota are hit very hard because the cold weather arrived in their states first (as normal in the fall; long before the Southern states), and they hadn't yet learned that first-hand lesson of local deaths. So a lot of people went indoors and didn't wear masks.

They are hit really hard.

But that cold weather will arrive in the South too...

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's just ordinary common sense that if someone is coughing out virus, if they wear a mask, it will catch the great majority of those little spit particles carrying the virus, preventing most of it from going out into the air towards other people.

Just common sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

One weakness that won't save Georgia and other places, is that last time what helped keep them from collapsing was that they could get doctors and nurses and supplies from states that were not hurt, that happened especially in texas last time, this time though every state is being hit, so can't just give more from elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah.....I mean it's not like there is around 40+% of the country that have a really huge belief in their 'god' telling them that you shouldn't wear masks and what not. My wearing a mask only marginally protects me from you, if your not wearing one It's useless.
Wonderfully, research has proven that if you wear a mask it protects you also(!) -- even if it is only a well fitting thin paper mask (though lately KN95s are available too) -- because it greatly reduces the amount of virus you breathe in, and having only a small initial exposure makes you a lot less ill when you get the virus.

More about masks helping protect the wearer:

And it's not only the proven theory, long around, but now also supported by observation also with Covid 19 also (just as theory would predict) --

" As governments and workplaces began to recommend or mandate mask wearing, my colleagues and I noticed an interesting trend. In places where most people wore masks, those who did get infected seemed dramatically less likely to get severely ill compared to places with less mask-wearing.

"It seems people get less sick if they wear a mask."

Cloth Masks Do Protect the Wearer — Breathing in Less Coronavirus Means You Get Less Sick

And:
Growing Body Of Evidence Suggests Masks Protect Those Wearing Them, Too

The CDC now says the same -- that masks help the wearer also.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

What mask wearing? Every time I see a bunch of crowds, very few people are wearing them. That's because [eop[le will do whatever cotton-;picking thing they want to do.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im not the type to tell on people or report things but Im disgusted that these restaurants are putting profits over peoples health.

Considering that the number or restaurants which have closed---permanently---since April has surpassed 100,000 nationwide, if this trend continues you may not have to worry about them putting profits over people's health: there won't be any restaurants to spread disease, they'll have all gone out of business.

Tough luck for the folks that made their living providing food for people, but hey, eating is overrated anyway, right? ;)

It might end up being tough luck for you, too, as a food delivery guy....after all, if there are no restaurants to deliver food to, you'll be out of a job along with the restaurateurs, won't you?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What mask wearing? Every time I see a bunch of crowds, very few people are wearing them. That's because [eop[le will do whatever cotton-;picking thing they want to do.
Yeah, it's like in post #9 above I think.

People are being careless so its no surprise to me that the virus is spreading and hospital beds are filling up
A lot of people have been told the false idea that masks don't help and also the false idea that the virus isn't that dangerous to most people. In reality it's been up near the order of general danger as the 1918 pandemic we all the "Spanish Flu" -- but fortunately not for young adults like that flu.

We have the advantages over 1918 in that we detected it early and some people wore masks early, and we had a big reduction in spread early on in April-May, slowing it down in a powerful way that didn't happen with the Spanish Flu early on. If not for that, we'd have similar deaths like 500,000+ already. But the early response helped avoid that, at least early, and now we are seeing more and more ways to combat it arriving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the number or restaurants which have closed---permanently---since April has surpassed 100,000 nationwide, if this trend continues you may not have to worry about them putting profits over people's health: there won't be any restaurants to spread disease, they'll have all gone out of business.

Tough luck for the folks that made their living providing food for people, but hey, eating is overrated anyway, right? ;)

It might end up being tough luck for you, too, as a food delivery guy....after all, if there are no restaurants to deliver food to, you'll be out of a job along with the restaurateurs, won't you?
Being old enough to remember severe recessions, I know big recoveries are what America has done over and over. At some point when this virus is under control, the economy can/ought to come back a lot faster than many realize.

If a person still has their health/life, they can return to work as the economy recovers.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The guidelines were put into place to make things safer for people. They should be taking steps to make sure people have at least a few feet of personal space if 6 feet isn't possible. However, shoulder to shoulder is a recipe for disaster. I will spare my sympathy for restaurants that actually attempt to follow guidelines

Just one more thing...theres no such thing as luck. So if I end up without a job, I will trust the Lord and look for another. Have a good day sir

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of people have been told the false idea that masks don't help and also the false idea that the virus isn't that dangerous to most people. In reality it's been up near the order of general danger as the 1918 pandemic we all the "Spanish Flu" -- but fortunately not for young adults like that flu.

We have the advantages over 1918 in that we detected it early and some people wore masks early, and we had a big reduction in spread early on in April-May, slowing it down in a powerful way that didn't happen with the Spanish Flu early on.

One of the characteristics of the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 (along with numerous other diseases we don't normally encounter here in the USA anymore----smallpox, scarlet fever, measles, leprosy, etc.) was that back in the day, quarantine was primarily restricted to the people who were already infected, whilst the healthy population was permitted to go about its business unhindered.

Nowadays, of course, the healthy have to be locked down along with the infected, so the entire economy of the world can grid to a complete halt, and people can starve to death in their homes (or maybe freeze, now that the weather is getting colder) in order to halt the spread of the virus.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well too bad there wasn't money that was meant for these businesses that instead went to corporations that already made millions...

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the characteristics of the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 (along with numerous other diseases we don't normally encounter here in the USA anymore----smallpox, scarlet fever, measles, leprosy, etc.) was that back in the day, quarantine was primarily restricted to the people who were already infected, whilst the healthy population was permitted to go about its business unhindered.

Nowadays, of course, the healthy have to be locked down along with the infected, so the entire economy of the world can grid to a complete halt, and people can starve to death in their homes (or maybe freeze, now that the weather is getting colder) in order to halt the spread of the virus.
Yes, that's what happened (past tense). You may like hearing that Biden is saying no big lockdowns --

Biden aide says no U.S.-wide COVID lockdown planned as West Coast states advise against travel

Note a very key difference from 1918 -- this virus spreads easily from people before they show any kind of symptoms at all (and some don't ever get symptoms even while they spread it to others) -- meaning that just waiting for symptoms and then quarantining that way as the main strategy would not work, and you'd get 1 million+ deaths if that's was the only primary strategy.

Upvote 0