Trump tweets his opinion of Yovanovitch as she testifies to Congress

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It seems particularly bad among Baby Boomers, who are one of the most narcissistic generations ever. This was, after all, the original "me" generation.
Actually the Baby boomers were more individualistic, & more socially conscious then their previous parents generation but maintained traditional values as they grew older. They became highly successful , the most health conscious generation so far & were successful workaholics who built much of the infrastructure we have today.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yovanovitch should have run for president then ... and then she could have led the nation and implemented foreign policy in the manner she wants to.

Given that she didn't do that, her job was to implement foreign policy for Donald Trump. It's not complicated.

Except absolutely no-one has produced any evidence showing her not implementing Donald Trump's stated foreign policy.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Actually the Baby boomers were more individualistic, & more socially conscious then their previous parents generation but maintained traditional values as they grew older. They became highly successful , the most health conscious generation so far & were successful workaholics who built much of the infrastructure we have today.

They were a generation that grew up in a time when jobs were plentiful, working people made good money and housing could be bought at low cost. We're talking about white boomers not black boomers obviously, given that for much of that time black boomers were still being treated like sub-humans by much of the country.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

It's their behavior as they've gotten older that I notice the most. Most seem to think that younger people can have no genuine insights into the world. There's also a surprising amount of crass, blind traditionalism. I believe it's an overreaction to their time in the 60's and 70's.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
They were a generation that grew up in a time when jobs were plentiful, working people made good money and housing could be bought at low cost. We're talking about white boomers not black boomers obviously, given that for much of that time black boomers were still being treated like sub-humans by much of the country.

Exactly. Boomers learned to be conservative, individualistic, and play it safe because that's what payed off for them. Hence the narcissism.

Younger people, though, realize that kind of world doesn't exist anymore, and the ones that haven't been discouraged through tacit voter supprression and cynical apathy (brought to you by their elders, the boomers) realize that solidarity and political action is needed to address problems that are bigger than the individual. That's what fuels politicians like Ocasio-Cortez. She's not a radical as much as she's simply from a different generation. And the Boomers just look at her and see an extremist.

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I never think of people's race when I meet & interact with people. Race never comes into the conversation.

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Boomers learned to be conservative, individualistic, and play it safe because that's what payed off for them. Hence the narcissism.

Younger people, though, realize that kind of world doesn't exist anymore, and the ones that haven't been discouraged through tacit voter supprression and cynical apathy (brought to you by their elders, the boomers) realize that solidarity and political action is needed to address problems that are bigger than the individual. That's what fuels politicians like Ocasio-Cortez. She's not a radical as much as she's simply from a different generation. And the Boomers just look at her and see an extremist.
I disagree, they did not play it safe, they were creative & hard workers, and having a strong sense of individual freedom is not a definition of narcissism, sorry. We will have to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I disagree, they did not play it safe, they were creative & hard workers, and having a strong sense of individual freedom is not a definition of narcissism, sorry. We will have to agree to disagree.

Being a hard worker and being creative are two different things.

My dad played it extremely safe, so did most of the boomers in my family. None were entrepreneurs or artists or anything like that. And it did pay off for them financially, for the most part. They pursued jobs in the military or in large corporations. That's very conservative and very safe, the sort of mentality you see in a country like Japan, where people used to look to economic security through conformity in a large organization.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Being a hard worker and being creative are two different things.

My dad played it extremely safe, so did most of the boomers in my family. None were entrepreneurs or artists or anything like that. And it did pay off for them financially, for the most part. They pursued jobs in the military or in large corporations. That's very conservative and very safe.
I guess that defines "your" family.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Stereo-typing and bigotry is founded on racial emphasis.

It's funny how often that kind of statement is made by people who are part of the racial majority rather than minority. Not always, but usually.

"I don't even see color!' tends to ring a little hollow if you've spent your life experiencing racism and your family members actually lived through a time when they were literally treated like sub-humans who couldn't even look at a white person directly without receiving a beating or worse.

Have you considered that rather than an entire generation was just more creative and hard working than others, that just maybe that generation had a lot more opportunity to express their better characteristics? Perhaps if today's generation could also afford to live, raise a family and purchase a home on a normal salary, they might be able to let their creativity and entrepreneurialism out a little more?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess that defines "your" family.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were not typical boomers. Most boomers had their rebellious fun in the 60's and 70's and then had kids, felt parental induced guilt, and swung conservative in a reactionary manner, including all the instincts for security that we see on display in today's political landscape.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's funny how often that kind of statement is made by people who are part of the racial majority rather than minority. Not always, but usually.

"I don't even see color!' tends to ring a little hollow if you've spent your life experiencing racism and your family members actually lived through a time when they were literally treated like sub-humans who couldn't even look at a white person directly without receiving a beating or worse.

As far as Boomers go, that is an exaggeration for most areas of the country. Post-WWII, the country was gradually becoming more racially tolerant (after all, the military desegregated after WWII), with perhaps some exceptions such as the deep south. It just didn't happen as fast as the civil rights establishment wanted. And of course, the Soviet Union could always use racial inequality as propaganda as an example of the failure of capitalism (and it did so, and sought contacts and influence with black Americans and civil rights leaders)

In my mom's family, socializing between blacks and whites did not result in any kind of threats, even if absolute socially equality did not exist. Blacks were considered an ethnic group, but not "sub-human" per se. To a certain extent "separate but equal" wasn't a total contradiction, at least in peoples minds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were not typical boomers. Most boomers had their rebellious fun in the 60's and 70's and then had kids, felt parental induced guilt, and swung conservative in a reactionary manner, including all the instincts for security that we see on display in today's political landscape.
Whatever you say.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,435,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yovanovitch should have run for president then ... and then she could have led the nation and implemented foreign policy in the manner she wants to.

Given that she didn't do that, her job was to implement foreign policy for Donald Trump. It's not complicated.

A prudent leader would exploit her experience, knowledge and integrity. The latter, of course, was the tripping point for Trump and his corrupt cronies.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Witness intimidation during her sworn-in testimony is not the same as merely critcizing someone.

Schiff delivered the message, then led her to her response.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That hasn’t been my experience. I’ve known plenty of older people who think they know everything. And that’s not even limited to the Fox News-viewing crowd.

Most older people keep their opinions, and their knowledge, to themselves...so no one really knows (not me though. I like to share). :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Except absolutely no-one has produced any evidence showing her not implementing Donald Trump's stated foreign policy.

Trumps foreign policy is getting other nations to pay more for their own defense. I don't think Yovanovitch's duties include this.

Upvote 0