variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thank heavens Trump has provided a conservatism that is non-intellectual and gauche -- neither elite nor of the people.

Aside from the irony, it's odd that someone would fit into their criticism of the national review that they speak for elites when the national review publishes an editorial calling for basic truthfulness and not leading a cynical assault on the bedrock principles of the republic.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's wrong. Any irritation on my part owes to the posts that are trying to make out that NR is something that it isn't. National Review itself is now so insignificant that it could hardly be the cause of any serious irritation. ;)

The editorial is just one more voice trying to reason with people who have forgone the idea of reason.

Your reaction to it was "they're not that important anymore" is basically you saying here that your political fellows have devolved into a irrational mob.

The idea that you needed to dismiss the National Review by saying that they aren't that important is also notable in that you didn't actually react to any of the substance of their claims.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Aside from the irony, it's odd that someone would fit into their criticism of the national review that they speak for elites when the national review publishes an editorial calling for basic truthfulness and not leading a cynical assault on the bedrock principles of the republic.

The founders were certainly the elites of their day, and one of their greatest fears was the booboisie's influence on democracy.

"The body of people ... do not possess the discernment and stability necessary for systematic government ... [they are] frequently led into the grossest errors by misinformation and passion" --Alexander Hamilton.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The founders were certainly the elites of their day, and one of their greatest fears was the booboisie's influence on democracy.

"The body of people ... do not possess the discernment and stability necessary for systematic government ... [they are] frequently led into the grossest errors by misinformation and passion" --Alexander Hamilton.

Also irony, the electoral college in this instance championed by the founders worried about mobs did the exact opposite of it's job and made sure a popular demagogue was elected instead of who most people voted for.

Now in this election it is making people mistrustful in the system because the election was technically close enough to claim fraud in when in reality millions of votes separated the winner and loser.

Their fear of mobs ironically empowered mobs.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It once was that. But no more.

Today, NR is a favorite of the tiny crop of "NeverTrumpers" who spend all their time campaigning for the Democrats. And that's about all.
I would be rather surprised to see NeverTrumpers be that fond of National Review. Yeah, they'll criticize Trump some (as they should, he deserves criticism even from a conservative standpoint), but prior to the election I remember even more criticisms being aimed at Biden--and Biden's still getting slammed there, right now for his appointment choices.

It's true that right now they're aiming an especially high (for them) amount of criticism at Trump, but only because Trump right now probably deserves nothing but criticism for how badly he's handled basically everything since the election.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...thus insuring that they would be process in large batches *after* other votes were counted.

Like I said, you opine on more than you understand. If you had read and understood the article, then you would have known that what you just said is irrelevant. It's not just about quantities of votes and timing.

I'm not going to attempt to teach you advanced math. The best I can do is beg you to keep your opinions to yourself when you haven't got a clue.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Thank heavens Trump has provided a conservatism that is non-intellectual and gauche -- neither elite nor of the people.

this_trump_family_portrait_will_make_you_ponder2.jpg

Every time I see the Trump crib, I am reminded that it was used as the home of a wife murdering billionaire who was having a sexual relationship with his underage step daughter in the movie “The Devils Advocate”.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your reaction to it was "they're not that important anymore" is basically you saying here that your political fellows have devolved into a irrational mob.
I have the feeling that if I'd said "the sky is blue," your interpretation of that statement would have been identical to the explanation you gave here. ^_^

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have the feeling that if I'd said "the sky is blue," your interpretation of that statement would have been identical to the explanation you gave here. ^_^

The national review criticized Trump because of his rampent and obvious lies and your response was partisan spin and deflection. It's obvious that you don't intend to actually address the substance of their criticism.

Calling attention to your lack of credibility is going to be one of my responses to that. I'm glad you find it funny.

Some would more offended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Your "feelings" are noted, and shall be given the seriousness they deserve.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's a matter of self-discipline--or maybe just a mark of maturity--not to come all unglued simply because someone on a discussion group has an opinion that doesn't agree with one's own. ;)

To have a disagreement people usually have to make some effort to be addressing the same topic.

Upvote 0