Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering about the triquetra symbol...I was under the impression that it signified the Trinity of God, the Son and the Holy Spirit which made me think it was a beautiful symbol. When visiting Ireland, I was excited to get a pair of earrings of this symbol because of the meaning to me and I think the design itself is lovely. Upon further reading, I was dismayed to find people of Pagan and Wiccan beliefs incorporate this symbol in their teachings. I found out that it has roots in Paganism and Christians simply adopted it to have a new meaning. I wanted to wear them, but I in no way want to align myself with evil beliefs and misrepresent who I am.

This also brings me to the subject of other traditions we practice today that are stemmed from Pagan practices such as different holidays and even many wedding traditions. Where do we draw the line on what is aligning with sinful beliefs and what is simply just something that originally meant something, but no longer is done for those purposes? Even my wearing of a wedding band was once a Pagan practice!

Deuteronomy 12:29-31 says, " The Lord your God will cut before you the nations you are about to invade and dispossess. But when you have driven them out and settled in their land, and after they have been destroyed before you, be careful not to be ensnared by inquiring about their gods, saying, “How do these nations serve their gods? We will do the same.” You must not worship the Lord your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the Lord hates."

Is participating in certain traditions and holidays that once had Pagan roots what God was talking about in this passage?

The earlier Christians "overwrote" Pagan holidays and rituals by making them Christian through attaching new meanings. Is this permissible or is it just adopting heathen traditions and calling it Christian?

Would like to hear insight!

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The earlier Christians "overwrote" Pagan holidays and rituals by making them Christian through attaching new meanings. Is this permissible or is it just adopting heathen traditions and calling it Christian?
I, among others, do not believe it to be appropriate. Some things, like the rainbow, however, belonged to the Godly first.

Also, it depends on whether the original item had spiritual underpinnings or not. If it is a secular artifact of a particular culture, it can be taken as a cultural identity. God desires the worship of every "tongue and nation."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

To me, it defies the meaning of the word tradition if you adopt a practice or symbol that is similar to one associated with heathens...if you don't also attach the same meaning to whatever it is!

As you describe the issue you are contemplating, those would not be heathen traditions, therefore.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm wondering about the triquetra symbol...I was under the impression that it signified the Trinity of God, the Son and the Holy Spirit which made me think it was a beautiful symbol. When visiting Ireland, I was excited to get a pair of earrings of this symbol because of the meaning to me and I think the design itself is lovely. Upon further reading, I was dismayed to find people of Pagan and Wiccan beliefs incorporate this symbol in their teachings. I found out that it has roots in Paganism and Christians simply adopted it to have a new meaning. I wanted to wear them, but I in no way want to align myself with evil beliefs and misrepresent who I am.

This also brings me to the subject of other traditions we practice today that are stemmed from Pagan practices such as different holidays and even many wedding traditions. Where do we draw the line on what is aligning with sinful beliefs and what is simply just something that originally meant something, but no longer is done for those purposes? Even my wearing of a wedding band was once a Pagan practice!

Deuteronomy 12:29-31 says, " The Lord your God will cut before you the nations you are about to invade and dispossess. But when you have driven them out and settled in their land, and after they have been destroyed before you, be careful not to be ensnared by inquiring about their gods, saying, “How do these nations serve their gods? We will do the same.” You must not worship the Lord your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the Lord hates."

Is participating in certain traditions and holidays that once had Pagan roots what God was talking about in this passage?

ALL of us were pagan--or worse--before Jesus claimed us.

And just what pagan holidays and rituals did Christianity "overwrite"?

Actually, celebrating 25 December as the nativity of Mithras was something started by Julian the Apostate after the Christians had been using it.

For further information about this, read THE APOSTASY THAT WASN'T.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am inclined to think that this is a very individual matter. At the same time we should avoid stumbling others.

Consider the matter of the healing of Naaman in 2 Kings 5.

Here is a man - a servant of a Pagan King Aram - healed of leprosy and asks one favour of Elisha.

18 Yet may the LORD forgive your servant this one thing: When my master goes into the temple of Rimmon to worship there, and he leans on my arm, and I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the LORD forgive your servant in this matter.”

19“Go in peace,” said Elisha.

So here is a man being forgiven in advance for bowing (not in his heart) to the pagan god Rimmon.

So we can easily over blow the empowering of paganism.

Each to his own, but some refuse to celebrate Christmas for example and in so doing they unwittingly empower the Pagan roots to themselves.

Others celebrate this special remembrance with a good heart honouring God for sending His Son.

Like it says in Romans 14, do what you do as unto the Lord but avoid stumbling others.

If however you have a triquetra that has been ritually dedicated for some ungodly purpose, pray about it and either destroy it or deal with any associated spirits seeking to influence through it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My focus is on what I, as a Christian do, and why I do it.

During Christmastime, I put up a tree. I give gifts to relatives. And I remember that God sent Jesus Christ in the flesh born of the virgin Mary as part of his redemptive plan, and some of the OT prophesies that point to it. I do not believe that the tree will bless the harvest for the next year, I do not sacrifice livestock to false gods (as pagans did with Yule) and I do not drink toasts to false gods. My worship is focused on the God of the Bible, no other.

During the Easter season, I eat candy and hard-boiled eggs. I enjoy a feast with my family. And I remember the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I celebrate his triumph over the grave. I do not worship any other gods or goddesses, fertility or otherwise.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where do we draw the line on what is aligning with sinful beliefs and what is simply just something that originally meant something, but no longer is done for those purposes?

This is a matter of personal conviction and preference. We don’t recognize Christian holidays in my home. I exchange gifts with my family but outside of that there’s no acknowledgement. Our desire is for daily communion with the Lord and that suffices.

Sometimes I do seasonal decorations. But I haven’t put up a tree in years and have no intention of doing so unless my partner feels otherwise. I don’t feel my faith is hindered by that decision and I’m walking in my purpose and experiencing His favor.

Its the fruit that counts. That’s my focus.

• Agree
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There is no reason to believe that Messiah was born in December or even in the winter. It seems highly unlikely that Caesar would have sent out the masses for a census in the dead of winter. Plus the shepherds kept their flocks in shelters in the winter, especially at night. Why were they "watching"? Because, many believe, the lambs were being born then, in the spring. Think Lamb.
You can research and see how pagans celebrated December 25th long before our Savior was born.

As for Easter, it never ever falls on the true Resurrection Day. That day would cycle around Passover each year. Passover it based on a lunar, not solar, calendar. So, no way it would ever be on Sunday every years. The RCC sets the date for Easter and, again, it is never coordinated with Passover. Ditto "Good Friday."

Easter is another name for Ashtar, a pagan sex goddess whose symbols were the bunny and the egg. So every time I used to say "Let's decorate some Easter eggs" what I really was saying was "Let's decorate some eggs in the tradition of a pagan sex goddess" and in relation to nothing at all having to do with the Resurrection.

I give Hanukkah gifts in December. Though "Christmas" is not seen in the Bible, we see the Savior going to the Feast of Dedication there, i.e. Hanukkah.

Messiah told the Pharisees, "Thus you nullify the Word of YHWH" aka God "through your tradition that you handed down. And you do many things like that."

It took me a few years to give up Christmas and Easter, but really it wasn't a big problem after all.

Deut. 12:14 "You must not worship the LORD the way they [the pagans] worship." The Lord is speaking. He means what He says and says what He means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0