Status
Not open for further replies.

Defender of the Faith 777

Apr 13, 2002
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Would you ever convert?  Under what circumstances?

I know that many of us try to act really strong in our faiths, but under what circumstances would you convert?

I'll go first.  All it takes is Scripture for me.  I'll always believe in Jesus, but with the Bible, I will most definently believe what it says.

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From what to what?

Muslim conquerors of the Middle East posited the terms of their victory this way: "We would like you to convert to Islam and if you do you will receive full citizenship. If you do not convert, we require you to pay tribute. If you do not pay tribute, we will kill you." In such a situation I would probably choose to pay tribute while considering emigrating.

Inquisitions? Don't know. I have a low threshold for pain. I would think renouncing one's faith under such circumstances would be excused by a loving God.

For marriage? No. In the marriage I'm in I demanded church involvement and faith. We're Protestant and I would've considered Catholicism if it had mattered to my love. In the case the "to whom does it matter most?" rule applied.

Upon receipt of New Knowledge? Wait and see what comes up for that, but doubtful.

BTW, I didn't get to post in the thread dissing Bush for saying the martyred astronauts went to Heaven including the Jew and the Hindu before it was closed, but wished I had gotten a chance to defend our Prez. He was right. The concept that other religionists are doomed to Hell is certainly not part of the OT tradition and is a perversion of the NT concepts. If it was true, I certainly would not want to go to Heaven. This is personal w/ GWB because he previously believed Non-Christians all went to Hell and his mother convinced him otherwise. During that argument W picked up the phone and called Billy Graham who cautioned him against making such categorical statements. Even so I would not renounce Christianity unless I found after death that God was unjust. I do not believe I will, though.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As far as converting my faith? I don't see that as a possibility, but even Paul thought that he was doing right untill God knocked him on his butt.

But for my beliefs. I am changing all the time.
In the beginning of my faith, I didn't change anything. Still had sex, still smoked pot, still was a selfish lazy bum. :)

I used to think that t.v. had no influence on you...... now I don't have t.v. and disagree with that statement.

I used to smoke pot, untill Romans 13

My pastor said, "You don't know, untill you know." So I try to keep an open mind on alot of things, so as to try and sow things that edify, in my life, and to cut off the things that don't edify.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

linda4jesus

Are you Rapture Ready?
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
✟424.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Texas Lynn

The concept that other religionists are doomed to Hell is certainly not part of the OT tradition and is a perversion of the NT concepts. If it was true, I certainly would not want to go to Heaven.

Texas Lynn,

Do you realize that you are breaking the Second of the Ten Commandments by saying that? You have made a god to suit yourself. Your god would never send anyone to Hell, because he couldn't. He doesn't exist. He's a figment of your imagination. You have made a god you feel comfortable with.

Did you know that the God of the Bible - the God you have to face on the Day of Judgment - commands you to be perfect? He is perfect, and He will judge you with a perfect Law that demands perfection."

The idea that God will take pity upon someone because they were a good person who just happened to be Hindu is unscriptural. There is only one path to God and that is through His Son, Jesus Christ. No one else.

I would like to point you to several scripture references.

Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above very name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

John 3:16-18 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Matthew 10:22 All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To touch on what linda4jesus said, I have just recently converted. I followed a god who did not exist. He was a christian god I made up, a nonthreatening, peace loving, long haired, hawaiian shirt wearing god who just loved me for who I was. Then I converted to the God of the bible. I am still learning and have a long, long way to go, but it didn't take long for me to understand that my "other" god was a figment of my imagination (along with a smattering of Catholic catechism from my youth). So I guess my answer would be yes, I'd convert.

Upvote 0

Live4Jesus

Dec 31, 2002
VA
Visit site
✟1,365.00
Jesus is the Word of God. the word of God walking... once you get saved and have real relationship with Him, know He's around, know the Holy spirit as a reality, a life changing force I don't know how you go back on that..

But like Sunstone says... we are always learning... how to walk in step more perfectly with Him.

We don't watch tv here either, just teaching tapes and movies we know are worthwhile viewing n the vcr... but no random junk ever. If it doesn't edify, get rid of it. Otherwise it's a burden on your relationship with Jesus.

I used to tell people, one day I was arrested (by Jesus) and then along came the Holy Spirit to convict me... I guess I was sentenced to life at some point... Not a choice anymore here. Praise God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Live4Jesus

Dec 31, 2002
VA
Visit site
✟1,365.00
Originally posted by Michael0701
To touch on what linda4jesus said, I have just recently converted. I followed a god who did not exist. He was a christian god I made up, a nonthreatening, peace loving, long haired, hawaiian shirt wearing god who just loved me for who I was. Then I converted to the God of the bible. I am still learning and have a long, long way to go, but it didn't take long for me to understand that my "other" god was a figment of my imagination (along with a smattering of Catholic catechism from my youth). So I guess my answer would be yes, I'd convert.

I think I knew that god... yea. The real one is quite real ain't He?

Can't see Him, but He's there He's surely there...

Sounds like you had a life shaking experience like me Michael0701. Cool isn't He?

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by linda4jesus
ZooMom,

Convert to what? - To life in Jesus Christ

From where? - being lost in 'religion'

This is what the OP stated.

Would you ever convert? Under what circumstances?

I know that many of us try to act really strong in our faiths, but under what circumstances would you convert?

I'll go first. All it takes is Scripture for me. I'll always believe in Jesus, but with the Bible, I will most definently believe what it says.

I am really not getting what you are saying from the OP.
:help: Am I missing something? The title of the thread says 'ALL Christians', so what religion are we lost in? Christianity? :scratch:

Upvote 0

linda4jesus

Are you Rapture Ready?
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
✟424.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by ZooMom
This is what the OP stated.

Would you ever convert? Under what circumstances?

I'll go first. All it takes is Scripture for me. I'll always believe in Jesus, but with the Bible, I will most definently believe what it says.

I am really not getting what you are saying from the OP.
:help: Am I missing something? The title of the thread says 'ALL Christians', so what religion are we lost in? Christianity? :scratch:

ZooMom,

I believe that so many people are lost in a religion....they forget or don't grasp what Jesus' message was. He brought the 'good news' to us. He told us to die in HIM....not a religion.

We can go around saying that we are christians all day long, but unless we give Him 100% of ourselves...we are lost.

It doesn't matter what church you attend; Catholic, Lutheran, Non-Dem, Methodist, Church of Christ, etc. If you aren't dead in Him, then you truly are dead.

If I'm not 'getting' your question, you may need to break it down for me....:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.