Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I spent a little over 2 hours sitting in the theater watching the new Ghostbusters movie. I prematurely misjudged it, thinking the reboot of the original movie would be all messed up. I thought it was okay. It was not horrible. It was just okay and it was fairly funny too. There were some familiar faces I recognized like the marshmallow man and Slimer. There were other familiar faces too but I will not give any of it away. There was one particular young adult in the theater who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the movie because she kept laughing out loud and talking. Her parents (I think) kept telling her to be quiet and she also jammed to the theme song right there in the walkway as the credits were playing after the movie was over. She had a good time. Overall, the movie was not terrible and the original movie was not put to complete shame.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that with regards to TOS Trek movies, the even numbered ones were much better than the odd numbered ones.

I like the original series but the Next Generation series is my favorite. I really like the newer Star Trek movies though.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Three weeks in a row now. When I go to Mass I sit in the same seat usually. But I swear this tall lady chooses the seat right in front of me each time. Blocks my view. Today I moved to another seat just after she arrived. :)

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul, your story reminded me of an incident that happened to me one time in church. Shortly after my family and I started attending the church we do now, this little old lady came up to me and told me I was sitting in her seat. She quickly informed me that she and her husband (who was now deceased) had been sitting in the same seats in that pew for years. She seemed highly affronted that I had dared to sit in 'her' seat. But lucky for her, I respect my elders, so I humbly apologized and moved to another seat in another pew. Our pastor later came up to me after the service was over and apologized. He also thanked for me for being gracious and for moving to another seat. We are in a new church building now, so she cannot tell anyone else who is new that they are seating in the seats that she and her husband had been sitting in for years.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
so I humbly apologized and moved to another seat in another pew.
That was gracious of you to move, Red. Some have this idea of seat ownership as you mentioned. It affects your concentration too.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I fell asleep during the first Star Trek movie. A bunch of times.

Actually, we have that in common (Speaking of Star Trek: The Motion Picture- from the late 70s, not the reboot). That whole 20 minute scene where they encounter that blue nebula and just gape at it put me to sleep almost every time I saw it (And I mean that literally... I actually lost conciousness as if I were suffered from a Vulcan nerve-pinch). And I love Star Trek.

I literally rewatched every episode of TNG and DS9 in chronological order on Netflix within the last few years- 14 seasons times 26 episodes each. And the old TOS movies- AFTER the first one are great. Star Trek IV is hilarious. I loyally have been in the theater fo every movie starting with Star Trek VI up to and including Star Trek XIII on Friday.

I hear there is a director's cut of The Motion Picture that shortens the gaping at the blue stuff scene a tad... So it might literally be better for people watching it now. But the VHS copy I used to have was the original cut. I made a move where I had to pay to ship some boxes and had limited space about 12 years ago. I brought Star Trek 2-9 or 2-10 (Don't recall if Nemesis was out on DVD yet, had the first 9 on VHS, though for sure) with me, and I left Star Trek: The Motion Picture behind on account of space and shipping cost considerations. ;) Really trimmed it down. ;)

They were trying too hard to be 2001: A Space Oddessy instead of Star Trek in that 1st one from the 70s IMO. They got it right after that (and before that on TV). Not that 2001 was bad, but the pacing was such that you couldn't strike lightnimg twice with the same format. *Although* the original Solaris (in Russian, with sub-titles, not the American remake with George Clooney) came very close, especially for Soviet era Russian cinema.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
On a side note, the only black and white movie I like other than "It's a Wonderful Life" is something called "On the Beach". A classic of pre-color cinema. Not the color remake as a made for TV movie, the original black and white film from the late 1950s. Some commentators have credited it with averting a real world nuclear holocaust because of the effect it had on American movie goers and the pressure they put on their politicians in response to it. A key thing to remember is that when they look at the calendar in the movie and see its the early 60s, that's supposed to be a few short years into the future for the people watching the film when it came out in the late 50s. A lot of modern viewers miss that, and its important. Really, everyone should watch that movie, even today. Highly recommended.

I should mention that my mother watched it on my recommendation and did not like it. Apparently it was "too depressing". I don't know what she expected from a film about a nuclear holocaust, but you've all been warned. ;)

Some very famous actors in there. Much of it is set in Paul's and Paidiske's native Australia- although the film makers seem to have overlooked that Australians generally don't have American accents. ;) Colin would like it, too, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I have officially stepped into the world of the iphone. My husband bought me an iphone5s yesterday. He wanted me to get an iphone6, like his, but I decided to start off small and move my way up, if I wanted to. So, bye bye Android. But now some of my children have been trying to convince me to give them my old Android phone.

Upvote 0