Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most WOF teachers teach tithing. In fact I don't think I have ever heard a WOF teacher teach against tithing for the NT church.

I guess I am a different brand of Woffer. I do not believe that tithing is for NT believers. I have several friends that are WOF that also do not believe in tithing.

Are there any other WOF people out there that do not believe in tithing?

Elimelech

Aug 13, 2007
✟8,002.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Most WOF teachers teach tithing. In fact I don't think I have ever heard a WOF teacher teach against tithing for the NT church.

I guess I am a different brand of Woffer. I do not believe that tithing is for NT believers. I have several friends that are WOF that also do not believe in tithing.

Why would you not believe in tithing?

the writer to the Hebrews who was clearly new testament said... Heb. 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

Jesus is still in the business of receiving tithes and when we tithe we testify that he is alive... the fact that it testifies that he is alive is speaking of after the resurrection, tithing is still for the new testament church...

E.

Upvote 0

Pastor Russ

Mar 22, 2009
United States
✟7,681.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Woffer-

I used to think that WOF meant we believed the Bible, cover to cover. Tithing is the greatest act of worship you can offer. When you bring your tithe, you are expressing to God your trust in His Covenant. Your statement kind of reminds me of Ross Perot when he ran for President. Someone asked him if he went to church, to which he replied he did. Then he volunteered something very interesting, he said, "Yea, but as soon as that preacher mentions an offering I reach down to my back pocket and button the button because I know that preacher is going to try and steal my money." Your money and your heart are tied together, what you value most, you spend your money on.

Upvote 0

Jedi.Kep

Jul 30, 2009
Earth
✟16,160.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If you don't believe in tithing, does that mean you believe in Spirit lead giving? Something else? I heard of people being against tithing, but giving much much more than 10% in the offering every week. One I talked to gave 30% every week. I thought that was cool, but I wondered how he came up with 30% for his number.

Anyway, why do you believe the way you do?

Upvote 0

Pastor Russ

Mar 22, 2009
United States
✟7,681.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
"I guess I am a different brand of Woffer. I do not believe that tithing is for NT believers. I have several friends that are WOF that also do not believe in tithing.

Are there any other WOF people out there that do not believe in tithing?"

The question was asked, am I saying do I not believe in tithing?

No, I am using a question to show how WOF people are in fact getting awy from the Word of God. When I got a hold of the Word of God, I believed it cover to cover, still do. I did not pick and choose parts of the Bible because I did not want to put that part of the Bible into practice. I accepted the Word as it is, the inspired, inerrant Word of God.

Does that explain?

Upvote 0

the.Sheepdog

You must be born again!
Oct 26, 2008
Sanford, FL
✟31,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
does for me. But what is truth here? That a tithe is a work of the law, or that offerings are from the heart?

should I tithe because the law says I have to give 10%

or should I give whatever in offerings out of a love filled heart?

some might think if they give the required 10% they have paid for "works" their lot

Upvote 0

Breeze7

be blessed to be a blessing
Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Visit site
✟15,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tithing is 10%. It belongs to God. Everything we have is from God and all He asks from us is to give back 10% of all our income and take it to our local church, God's house. We get to keep the other 90% and give offerings as we desire.

When we take care of God's house, He takes care of ours.

When you tithe the Bible says the windows of heaven will be opened above you and pour out a blessing you don't have room enough to contain. It is also the only thing (that I am aware of) in the Bible that causes God to rebuke the devour in our lives.

Tithing is part of the law and even in the NT it is clear we are to continue tithing. Jesus told the Pharisees they should continue to do it in Matt 23:23.

However tithing is really a matter of the heart. And the first people to tithe did so before there was a law. Look at Abraham and Jacob making vows back in Genesis.

Where your treasure is that's where your heart will be. - Matt 6:21

Your heart follows your treasure. Where is your heart? You can choose to have it be in the things of God.

So if our love and fear for God doesn't move us to give to God even if it wasn't a law, like Abraham did, we can still get our heart in the right place by obeying God's Word and tithing.

It seems people are so fearful when it comes to money. If they only knew how much they are missing out on by not obeying God in this area, they would turn that fear in to faith in an instant. God doesn't ask us to do something we are not capable of doing...

Anyway that's my 2 cents and I believe tithing is for every single Christian.

Be blessed to be a blessing -
Brenda

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Can you double amen something?

Personally I think that now we are under grace and not under law it is ridiculous and legalistic to insist that we give 10% of our income to the Lord.

It should be far more than that, because we have a far better covenant.

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can you double amen something?

Personally I think that now we are under grace and not under law it is ridiculous and legalistic to insist that we give 10% of our income to the Lord.

It should be far more than that, because we have a far better covenant.

Well, amen to that.

People do get wierd when it comes to money, including those that that seem to have determined that their obedience to an Old Testament Law of 10% somehow endears them to the Father.

I got news for you. Nothing but the cross of Christ, His fulfillment of the law in your place and ones faith in that finished work endears one to God.

Tithing is certainly New Testament, but it is not 10%. That is too narrow an interpretation, and when you put it in such legalistic terms you then have to define 10% of what? The increase? The spoil? The gross or the net? Loans? Gifts? What about welfare? Food stamps? How many rules can we make to cover all the eventualities? Do we eat our tithe before the temple as the law instructs us? Or do we estimate our value and convert it to the local currency and give it to the pastor? Do we bring it to the house of God once a year, as the law instructs, or give it week by week?

C'mon people. Some/many have taken the WOF message and turned it into a new set of rules to be followed, as if our obedience to such will then garner the favour of God. Dont you know that nothing garners the favour of God but what Christ did for us, and our subsequent faith in that finished work? Gods favour is a promise, not an earned income.

Let me put it this way. Tithing is for today, like circumcision is for today, and like the sabbath is for today. Paul says that circumcision is of the heart for the believer, not in the flesh; and he also says that we who believe enter into the sabbath rest, because it is now a rest of faith, not the observance of a rest day. Similarly, tithing is for today, but it is not a dollar amount or a percentage, it is a matter of the heart, and obeying the Spirit of God.

Peace...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Tithing is certainly New Testament, but it is not 10%.

"A tithe (from Old English teogoþa "tenth") is a one-tenth part of something."

SOURCE: Tithe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The very word "tithe" means 10%.

I remember awhile ago someone asked the question "how much do you tithe"? I remember answering him sarcastically "how much do you pay for a $5 pizza"?

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"A tithe (from Old English teogoþa "tenth") is a one-tenth part of something."

SOURCE: Tithe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The very word "tithe" means 10%.

I remember awhile ago someone asked the question "how much do you tithe"? I remember answering him sarcastically "how much do you pay for a $5 pizza"?

I would agree with you that tithing is 10%. Wiki says it, so it must be true! (lol, just joking, of course the tithe is 10%).

Of course, Male circumcision is the removal of some or all of the foreskin (prepuce) from the penis.

SOURCE: Circumcision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And also, Sabbath or a sabbath is generally a weekly day of rest and/or time of worship that is observed in Abrahamic religions and other faiths.

SOURCE: Sabbath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yet in both instances, we have a slightly metaphorical New Testament Model, that is not in agreement with the literal meaning either currently or in biblical history.

This doesn't by itself prove that the tithe is in the same category, however, it does show that it is reasonable to believe that it is, and undermines the credibility and certitude of saying simply "The tithe means 10%".

I dont say any of this to argue with you, I have great respect for you, and you are simply stating the predominant wisdom of current WOF theology, which I also respect; however, I don't hold WOF tradition to be sacred, and rightfully question some things. This is one of them.

However, to be fair, I don't really have any axe to grind about it, as long as ones conscience is clear, they are in good standing with the Father. My only beef is that this issue can cause condemnation among some, if it is taught as a matter of obligation, rather than liberty. I have even heard som teach about making up misssed tithes, to keep the devourer at bay, as if God responds to our obedience, rather than the fulfilled obedience of our Lord Jesus. If that is how they wish to play it, they are welcome to their own righteousness, but I will wear the righteousness of my Lord instead.

It is interesting to note, that there is no talk of the tithe outside of the gospels, excluding the one mention in Hebrews. It appears that the early church maintained their tithe to the jewish temple, and gave freewill offerings to the church. I wonder what some preachers would say to that today? There is after all no instruction in the Bible to give the tithe to the local church. This is simply an inference, not neccesarily a bad one, but an inference nonetheless.

Peace...

Upvote 0

God<Is>Good

Blessed by the Best
Oct 26, 2009
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians:
9:6: Remember this: he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly. He who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
9:7: Let each man give according as he has determined in his heart; not grudgingly, or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.
9:8: And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that you, always having all sufficiency in everything, may abound to every good work.
9:9: As it is written, "He has scattered abroad, he has given to the poor. His righteousness remains forever."
9:10: Now may he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food, supply and multiply your seed for sowing, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;
9:11: you being enriched in everything to all liberality, which works through us thanksgiving to God.
9:12: For this service of giving that you perform not only makes up for lack among the saints, but abounds also through many givings of thanks to God;
9:13: seeing that through the proof given by this service, they glorify God for the obedience of your confession to the gospel of Christ, and for the liberality of your contribution to them and to all;
9:14: while they themselves also, with supplication on your behalf, yearn for you by reason of the exceeding grace of God in you.
9:15: Now thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift!

sorry this came out so large, copy and pasted from an online bible reference. Anyway, we(my family) have started to tithe. On top of tithing we give offerings and special offerings and missionary offerings and etc. whatever the Lord puts on our hearts to give. I'm not saying any of this to bring glory to myself or anything. What i'm saying is, before i started tithing, God healed me, saved me, gave me a second chance, blessed me with answered prayer, and has been so good to me and my family. I felt in my heart that I should tithe. So i do. Not everyone agrees about preachers making money off the gospel, but thats how they make their living, and thats what brings the gospel forth to the church. It's biblical. Paul and the apostles in the first church went out with nothing and worked for their keep while they spread the word but later he says this in 1 Corinthians 9:7-12:
7 Who at any time serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat the fruit of it? Or who tends a flock and does not 1use the milk of the flock?
8 I am not speaking these things according to 1human judgment, am I? Or does not the Law also say these things?​
9 For it is written in the Law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing.” God is not concerned about oxen, is He?​
10 Or is He speaking altogether for our sake? Yes, for our sake it was written, because the plowman ought to plow in hope, and the thresher to thresh in hope of sharing the crops.
11 If we sowed spiritual things in you, is it too much if we reap material things from you?​
12 If others share the right over you, do we not more? Nevertheless, we did not use this right, but we endure all things so that we will cause no hindrance to the gospel of Christ.

anyway, i personally feel that we should tithe. it supports the ministry and whether or not the church or person recieving the blessing has the right motives, i believe the person giving will still be blessed regardless because of their faith and obedience to God.

my .02. :) oh and i had a question...what is the difference between WOFand full gospel? I'm asking because I believe what is written, no more no less, well except what the Holy Spirit leads me to believe as far as instruction and such.

Be blessed!

Upvote 0

MikeVan

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
✟7,672.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
We don't tithe, but that's not my decision, it's my husband's. I wish I could, but he says we need to pay off our debts first.

Find SOME way to give then. Giving will pay those debts off MUCH faster, even tho it goes against the world way of thought. If you seek by faith, you will find.

Upvote 0