Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alright so ever since I became Christian I did my best to be modest.
And of course especially to Church.
But lately I’ve been wondering if I’m modest in the eyes of God.
According to this video, I’m not..
Even though I don’t wear leggings, or revealing stuff, I’m still immodest.
Because I show my calves in skirts. Someone in the comments said they can guarantee God is looking at me and seeing immodesty.
Another thing in these videos is head covering. I usually (or try to) cover with lace. They said lace isn’t a covering at all.
So basically a little bit of leg showing and you’re a goner.
And pretty much, that all I’m wearing is wrong. I felt so ashamed and am wondering is this how God sees me? Immodest?
Please consider Romans 8:20 and one reason we were given a little vanity. Vanity causes you to want to be saved.

Rom.8
  1. [20] For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because I show my calves in skirts. Someone in the comments said they can guarantee God is looking at me and seeing immodesty.
Another thing in these videos is head covering. I usually (or try to) cover with lace. They said lace isn’t a covering at all.
And pretty much, that all I’m wearing is wrong. I felt so ashamed and am wondering is this how God sees me? Immodest?
Modesty starts as an outer truth ...

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Worry. I guess I see these people as “way-more-reverent-than-me”
And try to see if this is true or not

What makes them more reverent? Why are you looking to them instead of the Holy Spirit for direction? You have a Counselor within. That's your GPS. Not YouTube.

~Bella

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I visited this Youtube channel. I recognize this woman's group right away since I used to roll (ish) with these types in my early 20's, long before I became Orthodox. They never really accepted me, I was seen as one of the more "rebellious" ones. Thank God I got out of there before they indoctrinated me.
These groups are the ultra-conservative Christians that the leftists point to when accusing all Christians as treating women as "domestic slaves and babymakers".

They are "KJV onlyists," which means they see the KJV bible (preferably 1611 edition) as the most superior translation "ordained by God." Many, though not all, will be quite snobbish about it. You see them online- they often write very zealously in ALL CAPS with many !!!!!!!!! and at least a 6 verse Bible quote every 4 lines in bold, red or blue font. :D

This woman displays the typical dress expected of women. In addition they have many other legalistic rules like all unmarried men and women have to be at least 6" apart at all times, no opposite-sex relationships without parental supervision, no dancing, no cards, no alcohol, and rock music or music with any kind of beat, is of the Devil. Only classical and hymnal music are acceptable for godly people.

To be fair, these people are not all as crazy as I have made them sound. There are some very nice, humble, people who- while a bit misled- truly love God and want to serve Him. These teachings typically come from a pastor or leader who establishes himself as being more knowledgable of the Bible, than average. He easily convinces people, because they have no/little education, and "he sounds right and he's a nice man." If they do not listen to any other perspective, it is very easy to believe the pastor and become indoctrinated.

Back to the question of modesty. True modesty is of the heart and comes from humility and love for others. If that is right, you will probably make good decisions about your clothes... I wouldn't worry about it too much... And these people might even acknowledge that, but they add all these external rules as a definition of modesty, while often judging others, which is based on their failure to interpret the Scriptures correctly- having not had any real training on how to interpret.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I visited this Youtube channel. I recognize this woman's group right away since I used to roll (ish) with these types in my early 20's, long before I became Orthodox. They never really accepted me, I was seen as one of the more "rebellious" ones. Thank God I got out of there before they indoctrinated me.
These groups are the ultra-conservative Christians that the leftists point to when accusing all Christians as treating women as "domestic slaves and babymakers".

They are "KJV onlyists," which means they see the KJV bible (preferably 1611 edition) as the most superior translation "ordained by God." Many, though not all, will be quite snobbish about it. You see them online- they often write very zealously in ALL CAPS with many !!!!!!!!! and at least a 6 verse Bible quote every 4 lines in bold, red or blue font. :D

This woman displays the typical dress expected of women. In addition they have many other legalistic rules like all unmarried men and women have to be at least 6" apart at all times, no opposite-sex relationships without parental supervision, no dancing, no cards, no alcohol, and rock music or music with any kind of beat, is of the Devil. Only classical and hymnal music are acceptable for godly people.

To be fair, these people are not all as crazy as I have made them sound. There are some very nice, humble, people who- while a bit misled- truly love God and want to serve Him. These teachings typically come from a pastor or leader who establishes himself as being more knowledgable of the Bible, than average. He easily convinces people, because they have no/little education, and "he sounds right and he's a nice man." If they do not listen to any other perspective, it is very easy to believe the pastor and become indoctrinated.

Back to the question of modesty. True modesty is of the heart and comes from humility and love for others. If that is right, you will probably make good decisions about your clothes... I wouldn't worry about it too much... And these people might even acknowledge that, but they add all these external rules as a definition of modesty, while often judging others, which is based on their failure to interpret the Scriptures correctly- having not had any real training on how to interpret.
Best explanation I heard. Wow. Thank you.

Reactions: WanderedHome
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2020
St. Charles
✟15,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Celibate
Ever since I became Christian, I did my best to be modest especially to Church. But lately I’ve been wondering if I’m modest in the eyes of God. According to this video, I’m not. Even though I don’t wear leggings or revealing stuff, I’m still immodest because I show my calves in skirts. Someone in the comments said they can guarantee God is looking at me and seeing immodesty. Another thing in these videos is head covering. I usually (or try to) cover with lace. They said lace isn’t a covering at all. So basically a little bit of leg showing and you’re a goner. And pretty much, that all I’m wearing is wrong. I felt so ashamed and am wondering is this how God sees me? Immodest?
Well, as long as you are mostly covered it's fine. You don't need to hide the entirety of your body. I don't know how you dress but if you dress similarly to this:
Coming Soon.jpeg
Купить платье в английском стиле_ модные привычки и табу.jpeg

then your good.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ever since I became Christian, I did my best to be modest especially to Church. But lately I’ve been wondering if I’m modest in the eyes of God. According to this video, I’m not. Even though I don’t wear leggings or revealing stuff, I’m still immodest because I show my calves in skirts. Someone in the comments said they can guarantee God is looking at me and seeing immodesty. Another thing in these videos is head covering. I usually (or try to) cover with lace. They said lace isn’t a covering at all. So basically a little bit of leg showing and you’re a goner. And pretty much, that all I’m wearing is wrong. I felt so ashamed and am wondering is this how God sees me? Immodest?
Well, as long as you are mostly covered it's fine. You don't need to hide the entirety of your body. I don't know how you dress but if you dress similarly to this:
View attachment 277431View attachment 277430

then your good.
Similar, yea. I don’t own skirts like that [yet! I ordered one but Amazon was being mean to me. :mad:] Since they are a bit shorter I wear tights with them.
Or dresses.
Love sweaters. God Bless that is my ideal modesty!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that it’s best to be modest now because when you meet The Good Lord, you will most assuredly feel modest.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
View attachment 277431View attachment 277430

then your good.

They are gorgeous clothes. perfect for autumn, winter

have you any pics for modest clothes or summer? like short sleeved or sleevelss modest clothes?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yes- there are plenty of references to jewellery and jewels in the Bible. God sure loves gemstones.
It reminds me of this article from Watchman Nee ~ The glorious church ~

In Revelation we find not just one kind of precious stone, but all kinds of precious stones. All these precious stones are a product of burning. Unlike gold they were not formed by God in a moment of time but obtained after being wrought upon after many long years of God working. Precious stone isn’t something that is obtained when we become a new creation, rather it’s formed thru God’s burning, day after day. Certain ways of melting certain metals together produces various kinds of precious metals.

The precious metals represent the work of the Holy Spirit. When we’re saved we obtain God’s nature, but from that time, day after day, the Holy Spirit has been working the nature of God into us so that we may bear the fruit of the Spirit.There’s not just one fruit of the Spirit, there is love, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, and may others. The Holy Spirit must continually work in us to cause to bear all these different kinds of fruit. When we were saved, God imparted His life into us. But the fruit of the Spirit is not something imparted to us by the Father, His golden gift is salvation. We bear these fruits when the Holy Spirit works within, even so precious stone is something formed in us thru the Holy Spirit by means of many different circumstances.

Not only has God shared His nature with us, but day by day He is making us a certain kind of people who can bring glory to His name. … What the Holy Spirit forms in us by means of the environment will abide forever (foundational to our character)

• Friendly
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

then your good.
I like that style, classic comfort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unapologetically_Wild

Apr 13, 2020
Wautoma
✟12,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hm I do agree some clothes are inappropriate for modesty.
I have seen girls with prom dresses in which they could not properly sit because it barely covered up you know what in CHURCH. With 5 inch heels and bare backs and shoulders. More bling than the rest of the church combined.

However - I also don't know if this girl was saved or a "plus one" for a guy and wanted to wear what to her seemed to be her "Sunday Best".

So I am not sure.

But I always felt in church especially we should be very presentable but also modest - just because I don't want to draw a mans eye from the Lord onto my bare back or whatever. However - I despise dresses and I wear Pants and I am a sucker for Leggings and skinny high waisted jeans - it's what I feel most like myself in and I would be VERY hard pressed to give that up.

And I do not believe that the Lord casts us off for wearing certain clothes. We are to be presentable inside.. Our heart's and minds, our contrite spirits and hearts our worship. According to Levitical law a man who cuts his beard is a sinner. < . < Well - good luck all you sinners...
Levitical law was more a Governing law - (according to my cousin who is a pastor and history major/ college professor) It was to govern the People of israel after leaving the place of slavery.

That is why "an eye for an eye" and "Love your enemies" do not contradict themselves.
One is a law of spirituality one was a law to govern the nation of Israel specifically, which was to protect the individual - it did not support violence so much as to say - the retribution to a person - should be equal to the harm done.

also I strongly believe that the Holy Spirit leads us all - In Romans 12 it is clear - that if we are CONVICTED of something in our spirit as sin - and we still do it - then to US it IS a sin. Even if it might not be to a friend.

Example for me personally (And I have stumbled over and over on this issue).
Harry Potter - I grew up with it - I literally grew up with Harry and all his friends. He was my only friend in that time. This book led ME into witchcraft. Because I was desperate to have a slice of Hogwarts in my reality.
And that was the door that was opened. And I ran through it willingly.

So now - I know it still like the back of my hand - if I see a person with a Harry Potter tattoo - I want to high five them and find out what house they are in - it's instinct. BUT to me that is sin. Because I am must more easily ready to speak of this than the Gospel to people I've never met.

I got rid of all my books and movies and try to refrain to be too excited anytime I see or hear rumors about this fandom (which to me is incredibly hard). But for my cousin - him and his family have read the books. End of story. They are stories and do not alter their view of God or the world. It is fiction.

So - in this case I would say - if you feel you are immodest - if you feel the need to dress in a matter as this woman describes - you should do it and not feel condemned! But if you do it because you think that will make God love you "MORE" that my dear just isn't possible. None of our works can achieve that for us.
So examine your own heart - find out why this is so heavily on your mind and heart and then follow what you believe to be true - frankly I cannot give you the permission to dress either way - because only GOD can do this.

I watched the first video and I found this lady to be very gentle and meek and I loved her voice and honestly - I feel like to dress like that would feel probably incredibly safe. If I had a father who cared about my virtue and wanted me to dress like that I might have rebelled (but at my age today) I would much rather he wanted me to be virtues than to laugh at me for being a virgin at 18. (which he did btw) lol

So examine this and then make a decision for yourself!!

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Modest is a relative term that depends largely on culture. There are, for example, nudist Christian churches. Those who go there practice nudism so naked bodies in the pews don’t excite them. It largely depends on what you are used to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I wear Jesus t-shirts and blue jeans, a Jesus Saves cap. People give me a hard time I don't care, I am evangelizing without saying a word. Praise God

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Modest is a relative term that depends largely on culture...
And conscience.

In the same culture we have plenty of different opinions about what is modest and what not. And majority of people living in a sexualized culture do not even care about modesty at all.

Therefore we can meet all kinds of people from covering their whole body to almost naked people in the same culture/country.

Christians should, of course, go with more extreme views about what is appropriate than common folks.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you never put the question to a priest?

I would of course add "... or pastor, or minister?"

And that's one of the reasons why we have clergy, isn't it? So we don't need to get our theological advice from random strange people on the Internet.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0