Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Have you never put the question to a priest?
Not yet. My Priest is handling a sick household and I don’t want to bother him with these rather non essential questions yet

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The second video has a picture of someone with a hairnet on.. what in the world is immodest about the top of someone's head?

It also shows someone who might be wearing a skirt down to their ankles ... there is a difference between attractive and immodest. Some folks get so turned around as to think that looking attractive "is" by definition immodest. When you see someone running down the street in normal running shorts that are not short-short you think "sports" and "athletics" .. and that is pretty much it.

If they put a skirt on top of those shorts that goes down to just below the knee , and walk normally instead of jog -- does it suddenly become "immodest"??
No clue ‘bout the hair. I think head covering and modesty are two different subjects. Hair covering is more symbolic than modest

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I first became a Christian the Pentecostal pastor wore a long black dress and nothing else.

One night my wife and I had to rush to Wednesday night Bible study; she didn't have the chance to change from her jeans. The Pastor said "a woman who wear men's clothing is an abomination to God" Of course I was furious! Nobody had the right to call my wonderful wife "an abomination to God" for any reason. I lost all respect for her and we left the church shortly thereafter.

Please! Do not listen to legalists who want you to be ashamed and be under their moral judgments. Be your own woman and do what you think is right -- under God's grace, not Old Testament law.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I first became a Christian the Pentecostal pastor wore a long black dress and nothing else.

One night my wife and I had to rush to Wednesday night Bible study; she didn't have the chance to change from her jeans. The Pastor said "a woman who wear men's clothing is an abomination to God" Of course I was furious! Nobody had the right to call my wonderful wife "an abomination to God" for any reason. I lost all respect for her and we left the church shortly thereafter.

Please! Do not listen to legalists who want you to be ashamed and be under their moral judgments. Be your own woman and do what you think is right -- under God's grace, not Old Testament law.
That ‘pastor’ sounds like a fun gal. ;)

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright so ever since I became Christian I did my best to be modest.
And of course especially to Church.
But lately I’ve been wondering if I’m modest in the eyes of God.
According to this video, I’m not..
Even though I don’t wear leggings, or revealing stuff, I’m still immodest.
Because I show my calves in skirts. Someone in the comments said they can guarantee God is looking at me and seeing immodesty.
Another thing in these videos is head covering. I usually (or try to) cover with lace. They said lace isn’t a covering at all.
So basically a little bit of leg showing and you’re a goner.
And pretty much, that all I’m wearing is wrong. I felt so ashamed and am wondering is this how God sees me? Immodest?

I think you have been trapped by a very legalistic video. First there is no absolute standard as to what modest and immodest is. If it causes men to look more than once- then it probably could be immodest.

It is as much a heart issue as an actual length issue.

And lace is most definitely a head covering! If you are married, then anything you wear on your head is showing respect for your head (your husband).

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think you have been trapped by a very legalistic video. First there is no absolute standard as to what modest and immodest is. If it causes men to look more than once- then it probably could be immodest.

It is as much a heart issue as an actual length issue.

And lace is most definitely a head covering! If you are married, then anything you wear on your head is showing respect for your head (your husband).
Thanks! I’m not married but I love the symbolism of “God’s daughter” in it. :) and yes I feel much more comfortable in the apparel I own :)

Reactions: nolidad
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks! I’m not married but I love the symbolism of “God’s daughter” in it. :) and yes I feel much more comfortable in the apparel I own :)
Hmnn, I’ve never heard of a veil to be referred to as God’s daughter’s covering when it has just been detailed as a husband’s sign of respect. Of course, either way, it is respect to Christ, but one of letter and the other of spirit. One of shadow and the other spirit addressed, but still is symbolic as are all rituals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
C8DC8220-FC21-479A-AD13-40FB6B84957F.jpeg
The only caveat I have about minis and micro minis is that you do have to know how to sit down in them . Aside from that I had no issues wearing any of them ( when I was younger;) Leggings are sooooo comfortable that most women in NYC wear them , especially now. Of course unless you’ve got nice legs and ankles ,you need to stay away from calf length skirts because they’ll make your legs look horrible

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As I’ve stated before the longer skirts are actually dangerous if you need to run or defend yourself . This type of so called modesty is actually rather stupid . Wear what you want .

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Corona virus is somehow bringing LEGALISTS out of the woodwork.

I never seen such nonsense about clothing as I have the last 3 months.
I’ve noticed some women romanticize this supposed Christian modesty thing. It’s usually a phase. Of course dress according to your faith or feel called to use a head covering. But I find a lot of these groups more concerned with their clothes and appearance than anything else in their Christian walk. And that’s a wrong motive imo. Personally, I thought the lady in the op looked like she belonged to a cult.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Corona virus is somehow bringing LEGALISTS out of the woodwork.

I never seen such nonsense about clothing as I have the last 3 months.
. Part of it is due to fear over this pandemic. I agree it’s stupid and is actually superstitious. “If I become oppressive or misogynist then I won’t die from this disease “

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I’ve stated before the longer skirts are actually dangerous if you need to run or defend yourself . This type of so called modesty is actually rather stupid . Wear what you want .
So are stilettos but that never stopped most.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But
stiletto heels are usually chosen not forced on you by someone else. I’ve worn them too. ( and kicked them off as soon as I got home as they’re very uncomfortable )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But
stiletto heels are usually chosen not forced on you by someone else. I’ve worn them too. ( and kicked them off as soon as I got home as they’re very uncomfortable )
Obviously no one forced you to wear them ;) I was proud that I could run in mine. ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I once gave a ghost tour on the campus of a large university. The library there is said to be haunted by the ghost of a woman who was murdered in the stacks. I told the group that the woman was killed with a stiletto. One of the people on the tour shouted “They killed her with a shoe?” Apparently she was unaware that a stiletto is also a small dagger.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I once gave a ghost tour on the campus of a large university. The library there is said to be haunted by the ghost of a woman who was murdered on the stacks. I told the group that the woman was killed with a stiletto. One of the people on the tour shouted “They killed her with a shoe?” Apparently she was unaware that a stiletto is also a small dagger.
Oh learn something new!!! lol

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That ‘pastor’ sounds like a fun gal. ;)

Like many legalists she thought she was doing the right thing. Beware of those Christians who put others under the law. They have no understanding of being under God's grace.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like many legalists she thought she was doing the right thing. Beware of those Christians who put others under the law. They have no understanding of being under God's grace.
Kind of funny she was stickler for all that while being a female pastor.

• Winner
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0