United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And conscience.

Conscience is relative. Indigenous peoples in many places in the world walk around naked and don’t have any issues. The human body is not sexualized to them.

In the same culture we have plenty of different opinions about what is modest and what not. And majority of people living in a sexualized culture do not even care about modesty at all.

Therefore we can meet all kinds of people from covering their whole body to almost naked people in the same culture/country.

Have you been on topless beaches in Europe? You can always pick out the Americans because they are the ones staring. The locals don’t pay much attention. Women going topless is the norm for them.

Christians should, of course, go with more extreme views about what is appropriate than common folks.
Do you dress like My former Amish neighbors? They would probably agree with you.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Conscience is relative. Indigenous peoples in many places in the world walk around naked and don’t have any issues. The human body is not sexualized to them.

Have you been on topless beaches in Europe? You can always pick out the Americans because they are the ones staring. The locals don’t pay much attention. Women going topless is the norm for them.

Do you dress like My former Amish neighbors? They would probably agree with you.
I am not indigenous people, I do not visit beaches nor swimming pools, I do not know Amish people.
I am a protestant living in the Central Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not indigenous people,

OK, that doesn’t disprove my point that they go naked without shame. Their culture isn’t sexualized. You don’t need to be a member of an indigenous tribe to understand that, you just need to study them.

I do not visit beaches nor swimming pools,

Too bad. Your loss. Swimming is very healthy.

I do not know Amish people.

They are delightful people. They dress plain. They do not use technology. You won’t see one of them driving a car. They wouldn’t raise a finger in self defense.

I am a protestant living in the Central Europe.

The Amish are Anabaptists who once lived in Switzerland. I’m surprised you haven’t studied them.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
OK, that doesn’t disprove my point that they go naked without shame. Their culture isn’t sexualized. You don’t need to be a member of an indigenous tribe to understand that, you just need to study them.
I study my own life in my culture, in my religion and in my surroundings. I do not have to accept all exotic habits from all the places of the planet as good, interesting or even important.

I can be very easily healthy without swimming.

They are delightful people. They dress plain. They do not use technology. You won’t see one of them driving a car. They wouldn’t raise a finger in self defense.
The Amish are Anabaptists who once lived in Switzerland. I’m surprised you haven’t studied them.
Good for them, thats their choice.

• Informative
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So let’s get back to the advice since debate is not allowed here. Showing one’s calves in a skirt is not considered immodest.
And if it is, there is no difficulty in covering them... if I understand righthly what "calves" are supposed to be :)

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I study my own life in my culture, in my religion and in my surroundings. I do not have to accept all exotic habits from all the places of the planet as good, interesting or even important.

I can be very easily healthy without swimming.

Good for them, thats their choice.

This isn’t a debate forum so I’m not going to get into a debate. As I said several posts ago, modesty depends on culture. In some cultures it is acceptable to go naked and people do so without shame.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
upload_2020-5-30_9-58-16.jpeg

:p

• Informative
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This isn’t a debate forum so I’m not going to get into a debate. As I said several posts ago, modesty depends on culture. In some cultures it is acceptable to go naked and people do so without shame.
I think you as American should accept multiculturalism, because there is no united culture around you, but its composed of various ones. So its about your conscience, which ways of dressing you want to accept as proper for you personally.

You can dress as an Amish you wrote about, as a strict catholic girl or as wild secular drunk teens on beaches. Your choice, your conscience.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you as American should accept multiculturalism, because there is no united culture around you, but its composed of various ones. So its about your conscience, which ways of dressing you want to accept as proper for you personally.

You can dress as an Amish you wrote about, as a strict catholic girl or as a wild secular drunk teens on beaches. Your choice, your conscience.
Sir, this is not a debate forum. We are simply giving advice to the OP. You appear to be trying to turn this into a debate.

• Agree
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sir, this is not a debate forum. We are simply giving advice to the OP. You appear to be trying to turn this into a debate.
I only react to you, should I leave your posts where you quote me without a response or what?

Keep your own rules.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The Amish are Anabaptists who once lived in Switzerland. I’m surprised you haven’t studied the.
Sir, I can’t swim.
Lol but I’m sure Amish people are wonderful, I do not agree with their ways but if their heart is in Christ that's all that matters.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And conscience.

In the same culture we have plenty of different opinions about what is modest and what not. And majority of people living in a sexualized culture do not even care about modesty at all.

Therefore we can meet all kinds of people from covering their whole body to almost naked people in the same culture/country.

Christians should, of course, go with more extreme views about what is appropriate than common folks.

i guess if your conscience tells ypu to be extreme, then go for it! mine does not. i feel ungroomed without perfume, deodorant, styled hair, plucked eyebrows, shaved arms, legs etc my only thing my conscience bothers me on is not wearing clothes that show my thighs or breasts or midriff. so i cover those.

i dont understnad the prohibition on swimming or goign to the beach? nowhere in Bible is this forbidden? i swim for health reasons. i wear a modest one piece bathing costume with a t shirt over it and a kind of lycra skirt covering my thighs. i feel fine about that!

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sir, I can’t swim.
Lol but I’m sure Amish people are wonderful, I do not agree with their ways but if their heart is in Christ that's all that matters.

i think this is key. God knows our hearts and we are secure in Him. He keeps our salvation as long as we dont reject Him. Be encouraged, sister, you are doing well and God loves you. you have a beautiful heart, too. you desire to honour Jesus and He is thriled with that!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Worry. I guess I see these people as “way-more-reverent-than-me”
And try to see if this is true or not

The leaven of the Pharisees is not reverence for God, it's just self-indulgence.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@SeekingGloryOnThisJourney i relate to many of your struggles mental health wise and spiritually. i foudn a more realxed church which didnt have all these rules about dress. i wonder if you may be helped by trying a different congregation or denomination? somethign more about grace based salvation than works based salvation. it worked for me. just a thought. and my scupulosity/OCD was so bad i broke down completely and wa suicidal and self harming very badly. so i was able to recover andkeep my condition under a degree of control- so may work for you too?

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

HermanNeutics13

May 8, 2013
✟32,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In many ways, the view of modesty as often portrayed is backward from the Bible. The 1 verse that addresses modesty 1 Timothy 2:9 Likewise, I want the women to adorn themselves with respectable apparel, with modesty, and with self-control, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes.
It says a lot less about the length of your skirt and a lot more about humility and not showing off. Why do they never talk about women wearing fancy jewelry and too much makeup as being modest?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In many ways, the view of modesty as often portrayed is backward from the Bible. The 1 verse that addresses modesty 1 Timothy 2:9 Likewise, I want the women to adorn themselves with respectable apparel, with modesty, and with self-control, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes.
It says a lot less about the length of your skirt and a lot more about humility and not showing off. Why do they never talk about women wearing fancy jewelry and too much makeup as being modest?

Probably because skirt length was not an issue at that time and culture. I bet even the prostitutes wore long skirts. What women did to show that they were a prostitute was to uncover their heads and wear fancy hairstyles and makeup. Which is why uncovering the head was viewed as shameful. A prostitute in our culture would not think about her head or hair like that, she would wear a low top and a micro-mini to show off as much of her body as possible. Whatever respectable women did, prostitutes made sure through all the ages not to follow. In the 1890s showing your ankles was scandalous, because respectable women didn't show them, no one thinks that now. Times change and what is respectable changes, now they have barely anything left to shed.

Upvote 0