United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What do legalists wear at the beach?

When Bertrand Russell was told that nuns wear clothes when bathing indoors he said, "So God can see through walls but is foiled by cloth?"

Adam and Eve were naked in the Garden of Eden and they were not ashamed.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Real stiletto shoes actually do have a pointed heel like an awl. I’ve only seen one pair in my entire life and still wonder how in heck she was able to walk in them . What most of us call stilettos is just a very high narrow heel

Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 3:4

Anyone wearing not camel's hair and a leather girdle about their loins is obviously immodest, and our diet should consist of locusts and wild honey.

Also, make sure that you do not boil a young goat in it's mother's milk.

• Haha
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Real stiletto shoes actually do have a pointed heel like an awl. I’ve only seen one pair in my entire life and still wonder how in heck she was able to walk in them . What most of us call stilettos is just a very high narrow heel
They are certainly for a certain age, I think it was late teens for me, early twenties, when first beginning in the work force. But the extreme high heels were only for going to clubs. Not for work or anything else. It taught balance if nothing else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alright so ever since I became Christian I did my best to be modest.
And of course especially to Church.
But lately I’ve been wondering if I’m modest in the eyes of God.
According to this video, I’m not..
Even though I don’t wear leggings, or revealing stuff, I’m still immodest.
Because I show my calves in skirts. Someone in the comments said they can guarantee God is looking at me and seeing immodesty.

No, they can't GUARANTEE that God is looking at you and seeing "immodesty".
Maybe they they he should be seeing that, and if they were God, that's what they would be seeing - but they are not God, so they don't know what he sees.

If you regard something as too risque to wear; don't wear it.
A lot of Christians wear dresses etc that others would consider too short/revealing. But that's between the person wearing it and God.

I certainly wouldn't take advice from a Youtube video.

• Agree
Reactions: WDSobieski
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Modesty in the Israelite culture was/is very different from modesty in modern Christianity.
Culture ie: sociology is dated and what does 2020 show worldwide? In Christianity it’s still philosophy being controlled by psychiatry. It doesn’t work because it’s lost a sense of the here and now. It’s lost the Presence :(

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not yet. My Priest is handling a sick household and I don’t want to bother him with these rather non essential questions yet
I understand, but it should be a simple question for him to answer, and I'm sure you'd value his opinion. So when he is free....

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’ve noticed some women romanticize this supposed Christian modesty thing. It’s usually a phase. Of course dress according to your faith or feel called to use a head covering. But I find a lot of these groups more concerned with their clothes and appearance than anything else in their Christian walk. And that’s a wrong motive imo. Personally, I thought the lady in the op looked like she belonged to a cult.
Yea, I did think it was a little weird, no judgement for God only knows, but, always good to be aware.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because I show my calves in skirts. Someone in the comments said they can guarantee God is looking at me and seeing immodesty.
Another thing in these videos is head covering. I usually (or try to) cover with lace. They said lace isn’t a covering at all.
So basically a little bit of leg showing and you’re a goner.
And pretty much, that all I’m wearing is wrong. I felt so ashamed and am wondering is this how God sees me? Immodest?

How does God see you?

am guessing you are a born again believer? ypu sound like you are. if so, then God sees you as:

-Accepted in the Beloved
-The righteousness of christ Jesus (yes, Jesus DID impute His righteousness to all of those who sincerely repent and believe in Him)
-the salt of the earth, a city on a hill, shining for Him
- a royal priesthood, a holy nation (Gentile church grafted into Israel/the Jews. jewish believer s and gentile believers are now one in Jesus)
-His beloved bride
-REDEEMED by the blood of the lamb
- a citizen of Heaven
-made holy by the blood of Jesus and dearly loved
-He rejoices over you with singing
- perfect, no flaw in you
-forgiven
-no longer condemned but alive in Christ
- as weet fragrance unto Him

Secondly, the ways these women are dressed, i wonder if they a sect rather than a Bible based church? not saying this to be unkind, or event hat they not saved, i just wonder if they actually belong t one of those churches where salvation and holiness depend on looking a certain way and folwoing certain rules (eg Amish, Plymouth Bretheren, Mormon) Now there are some very pure in heart and lovely people from those faiths and amy of them do embody Jesus in the way they love and serve their community (i remember a news story a decade or so ago when a shooter kiled little children in an Amish community and the elders decided the whole community was to show forgiveness. it impressed me so much!) But if youa re anything like i am (and many other believers), prone to anxiety, doubts about your standing with God, maybe some tendancies towards OCD/Scrupulous type, you may want to stay away from videos like this.

I would recommend you focus on teaschings about your identity in Christ and how Jesus has finishd His work of atoning for your sins on the cross and that you are made holy before Him and ready to continue to overcome sins in His strength (not your own, cos that wil never work) and any teachings that preach salvation is through faith in the blood of Jesus alone. yes, we are to live holy, with His help, but be careful of believing your works are what save or damn you.

i actually used to live under pretty strict legalistic teachings and ended up so anxious and unwell over it i became suicidal and unable to function. not trying to scare you, am just saying, be careful. yes, there were certian things in my life that had made me more vulnerable ot thi skind of thing (raised by strict angry father who was very extreme in his christian views and made me feel i would never be good enough for either him or God) but i do believe that becoming ensnared in this kind of teaching can be in itself very damaging. people have left the faith over these fear based teachings

Peter and Paul did address the use of elaborate clothes and jewels and hairstyles being used to show off wealth and being like a way of saying "i have more status than you, therefore am better than you." i believe the translations of the verse on pearls and braids doesnt actually say "dont ever wear braids of jewels" but the word "merely" is used- "do not let your outward adorning be "merely" expensive clothes, braided hair etc" i believe the problem is some modern translations have left out the word "merely" which does leave a different impression entirely

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How does God see you?

am guessing you are a born again believer? ypu sound like you are. if so, then God sees you as:

-Accepted in the Beloved
-The righteousness of christ Jesus (yes, Jesus DID impute His righteousness to all of those who sincerely repent and believe in Him)
-the salt of the earth, a city on a hill, shining for Him
- a royal priesthood, a holy nation (Gentile church grafted into Israel/the Jews. jewish believer s and gentile believers are now one in Jesus)
-His beloved bride
-REDEEMED by the blood of the lamb
- a citizen of Heaven
-made holy by the blood of Jesus and dearly loved
-He rejoices over you with singing
- perfect, no flaw in you
-forgiven
-no longer condemned but alive in Christ
- as weet fragrance unto Him

Secondly, the ways these women are dressed, i wonder if they a sect rather than a Bible based church? not saying this to be unkind, or event hat they not saved, i just wonder if they actually belong t one of those churches where salvation and holiness depend on looking a certain way and folwoing certain rules (eg Amish, Plymouth Bretheren, Mormon) Now there are some very pure in heart and lovely people from those faiths and amy of them do embody Jesus in the way they love and serve their community (i remember a news story a decade or so ago when a shooter kiled little children in an Amish community and the elders decided the whole community was to show forgiveness. it impressed me so much!) But if youa re anything like i am (and many other believers), prone to anxiety, doubts about your standing with God, maybe some tendancies towards OCD/Scrupulous type, you may want to stay away from videos like this.

I would recommend you focus on teaschings about your identity in Christ and how Jesus has finishd His work of atoning for your sins on the cross and that you are made holy before Him and ready to continue to overcome sins in His strength (not your own, cos that wil never work) and any teachings that preach salvation is through faith in the blood of Jesus alone. yes, we are to live holy, with His help, but be careful of believing your works are what save or damn you.

i actually used to live under pretty strict legalistic teachings and ended up so anxious and unwell over it i became suicidal and unable to function. not trying to scare you, am just saying, be careful. yes, there were certian things in my life that had made me more vulnerable ot thi skind of thing (raised by strict angry father who was very extreme in his christian views and made me feel i would never be good enough for either him or God) but i do believe that becoming ensnared in this kind of teaching can be in itself very damaging. people have left the faith over these fear based teachings

Peter and Paul did address the use of elaborate clothes and jewels and hairstyles being used to show off wealth and being like a way of saying "i have more status than you, therefore am better than you." i believe the translations of the verse on pearls and braids doesnt actually say "dont ever wear braids of jewels" but the word "merely" is used- "do not let your outward adorning be "merely" expensive clothes, braided hair etc" i believe the problem is some modern translations have left out the word "merely" which does leave a different impression entirely
Thank you my friend, I am definitely prone to those worries and I will for surely stop worrying about it. I’m sorry to hear about your father growing up but am glad you are saved and have the Greatest Father that no earthly father can compare too now. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No Bible passages are actually used regarding modesty in a sexual way, but for me i think a question of common sense is to not have tops too low cut or skirts too high cut, or jeans too tight etc... and maybe let jewels and make up and hair be nice and pretty but not excessive or distracting? if yiu ask God He himself will show you what he expects of you. He had me give up eye make up for a season once because i was using it in a wrong way, to impress people. i wasnt just doing it because i liked eye make up, i felt ugly without it and inferior. after my make up "fast" i found i could take or leave make up and it has no hold on me anymore. but that was me- and soe women can wear that and feel no conviction at all about it?

ALSO, it helps to remember. many different churches around the globe have different dress codes, different standards of modesty. in a Nigerian church for example, having sleeveless dresses is a no no, because they consider armpits and bare arms to be erotic and a temptation to men. in the UK where i live, a spaghetti strap top in summer (provided it doesnt show bra straps or is cut low) is perfectly acceptable for a hot church service in the middle of June. many USA churches in the Bible belt would be fine with a t shirt but not spaghetti straps. IN Italy, some churches don't like trousers on women. in the middle eastern churches they require pretty much everythign covered- in my teens i went on holiday to Israel with a christian tour group and we visited a Greek Orthodox Church in Galille. two of the women in our party had to wait outside. why? because they were wearing shorts. just ordinary slightly above the knee shorts. but that was not acceptable in Israel in a GO church.

Upvote 0

XAPLTOS

May 11, 2020
U.S.
✟19,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another thing in these videos is head covering. I usually (or try to) cover with lace. They said lace isn’t a covering at all.
And pretty much, that all I’m wearing is wrong. I felt so ashamed and am wondering is this how God sees me? Immodest?

God sees you as His daughter and that should be the point. Ask God what is modest not people who want you to conform to their idea of modesty. He’ll give you peace on it.

Upvote 0

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Just sit back, take a deep breath and relax. You’re perfectly fine dressing according to the setting or for your own comfort, and not for seeking attention. Don’t get too stressed about how modest is it, that’s something very subjective and for the videos, don’t take them too literally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think men wore pants at the time the bible was written and long after. The ones they wore were undergarments like she said. If wearing pants is immodest men should not wear them either.

This is what God commanded Moses to be made for the high priests.

th

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think men wore pants at the time the bible was written and long after. The ones they wore were undergarments like she said. If wearing pants is immodest men should not wear them either.

th
Gosh that’s girly! *joking* ;)

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

th
Look at all them fine gems wrought into them!

Upvote 0