dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He's absolutely wrong. Scam alert. Synergy of vitamins happens in your body, not in a suppliment. Only if you have a vitamin deficiency, will it not happen. The primary synergy occurs with vitamin E, which you will always have enough of, it you each a balanced diet with oils, meats, and vegetables.

Thanks for you point about Vitamin E.

However my point still holds that certain interactions occur in the form it (Vitamin C) is stored outside the body which can slow reduce degradation over time. For instance at lower than room temperature and in combination with sugar in juices degradation has been shown to be lower.

I never said synergy happened in a suppliment, I should have made it clearer perhaps that synergy of vitimins occurs in our bodies. The point was that an activity or synergy takes place. That is the point, they don't just work in isolation inside the body.

To avoid any potential for confusion however I removed the link.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
However my point still holds that certain interactions occur in the form it (Vitamin C) is stored outside the body which can slow reduce degradation over time. For instance at lower than room temperature and in combination with sugar in juices degradation has been shown to be lower.

This is true. And I wonder about a jar of multivitamins sitting on the shelf for a year, thinking of how much potency is lost over time. I don't bother taking vitamins because I make a point of eating so that I get all that I need from my diet. So I won't research that, but I bet you could find it if you cared.

If you're severely reducing food intake, it's probably a good idea to be very particular to include foods with the vitamins you need. Or, in a pinch, a multivitamin. Your body doesn't know the difference.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My uncle was a pharmacist. He used to visit every Sunday and sit around the kitchen table. He knew I was becoming interested in nutrition at that time.

Its an interesting topic, this discussion has got me interested. But I am certainly not going to believe everything i read online either. I take a balanced approach - medical science has led to some helpful discoveries, and there is some wisdom also in traditional medicine too, I don't believe in pitting the two against each other, but try to find studies if I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is true. And I wonder about a jar of multivitamins sitting on the shelf for a year, thinking of how much potency is lost over time. I don't bother taking vitamins because I make a point of eating so that I get all that I need from my diet. So I won't research that, but I bet you could find it if you cared.

If you're severely reducing food intake, it's probably a good idea to be very particular to include foods with the vitamins you need. Or, in a pinch, a multivitamin. Your body doesn't know the difference.

Yeah they were never meant to be taken in place of a healthy diet, only when one had reduced food intake, perhaps due to illness, or because a person could not take some foods.

I have a packet of multivitamins i don't take them every day, but this discussion has impressed on me the benefits of getting them through natural sources. My mother who is 88 had repeated bouts of cistitis, for which she got a prescription each time from her doctor to get rid of the infection. I done some research on prevention a while ago and found cranberry was said to be helpful as a preventative (note: if one has a urinary tract infection, they need to see a doctor), so I got her some cranberry suppliments in tablet form. More recently I found some advice online suggesting cranberry juice might be better absorbed by the body, so I got her that instead, she hasn't had the infection again so far, so whatever the reason - thanks be to God for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I done some research on prevention and found cranberry was said to be helpful as a preventative (note: if one has the infection, they need to see a doctor), so I got her some cranberry suppliments in tablet form. More recently I found some advice online suggesting cranberry juice might be better absorbed by the body, so I got her that instead, she hasn't had the infection again so far, so whatever the reason - thanks be to God for that.

My wife had the same experience. Some nutritionists say that it really isn't an effective prevention for cystitis, but she hasn't had a problem since she started drinking cranberry juice. It is, BTW a really good source of vitamin C.

I figure it does no harm, and does a great deal of good. I just make sure the refrigerator has a supply of single-serving bottles of cranberry juice.

• Friendly
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its an interesting topic, this discussion has got me interested. But I am certainly not going to believe everything i read online either. I take a balanced approach - medical science has led to some very helpful discoveries, and there is some wisdom also in traditional medicine too, I don't believe in pitting the two against each other, but try to find confirmations if I can.

Medical science is great. I always get the diagnosis from a doctor. But I do not accept the treatment quickly. I have found wonderful solutions several times once I knew what the problem was.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah they were never meant to be taken in place of a healthy diet, only when one had reduced food intake, perhaps due to illness, or because a person could not take some foods.

I have a packet of multivitamins i don't take them every day, but this discussion has impressed on me the benefits of getting them through natural sources. My mother who is 88 had repeated bouts of cistitis, for which she got a prescription each time from her doctor to get rid of the infection. I done some research on prevention a while ago and found cranberry was said to be helpful as a preventative (note: if one has a urinary tract infection, they need to see a doctor), so I got her some cranberry suppliments in tablet form. More recently I found some advice online suggesting cranberry juice might be better absorbed by the body, so I got her that instead, she hasn't had the infection again so far, so whatever the reason - thanks be to God for that.
Multivitamins are almost impossible to do right unless it requires you take ten-twenty capsules at a time. Its a farce more often than not. Best way is to eat excellent quality foods and make sure to include real fermented vegetables with your meals. Digestion is the key.

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I had a urinary tract infection, and the doctor practically commanded me to get on antibiotics. When I told him I would rather use a natural means to combat it, he told me that if I do not get on antibiotics, the type of infection I have could put me in the hospital.

After doing some research as to what can cause such an infection in the bladder, I soon discovered what my biologic dentist had warned me about was true. Root canals remain infested (though relatively pain free after the procedure) with a mutated bacterial infection. To survive the cut off of oxygen and the blood supply, the surviving bacteria mutates into a more dangerous anaerobic bacterial infection. I immediately made an appointment, and soon had the root canal extracted. Within a few days the infection cleared.

Later when speaking with a urologist, he explained how root canals can cause what is called a focalized infection that can infect various organs in the body. Mine so happened to target my bladder.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I had a urinary tract infection, and the doctor practically commanded me to get on antibiotics. When I told him I would rather use a natural means to combat it, he told me that if I do not get on antibiotics, the type of infection I have could put me in the hospital.

IMO your doctor was correct. Once someone has a bladder infection, the normal way for it to be treated is with antibiotics.

As you say there may be other reasons why some people are more prone to develop a bladder infection in the first place.

I know you probably understand most of this but just in case it isn't clear to anyone else reading.

The controversy is about people mistakenly thinking it is effective as a treatment once one has an infection. It is not, it only at best reduces likelihood in some people of an infection occuring, or re-occuring.

The thing to get clear is that cranberry juice doesn't treat (relieve symptoms of ) cystitis, neither is it a cure as if drinking a bottle of it would mean you never got a bladder infection again. The distinction is that as a natural means it may have some preventative value (according to some, but not all studies).

Cranberry supplementation in the prevention of non-severe lower urinary tract infections: a pilot study - PubMed

The disparity in studies may be due to the fact that some cranberry juice products are cocktails (such as some summer fruits cordials. And even while they are labeled as Cranberry Juice some products are four juice blends - so check the label), and as such may not contain very much real cranberry juice. Its not clear to me which products have been trialed.

Another thing to bear in mind is that cranberry juice may interact with some medications, for instance blood thinners, so checking with ones doctor first is not a bad thing.

But as far as bladder infections it is not perfectly preventative. It has to be taken like everything else in moderation. If in spite of taking it one does develop a bladder infection, then that has to be treated medically, usually with antibiotics, not by continuing to drink or increase one's intake of cranberry juice.

The theory is no more than that in the case of bladder infections, it may reduce likelihood of an infection occuring. If some people make it out to be a cure once you have an infection, they are incorrect about why health food advocates recommend it. Cranberries, and cranberry juice unless one has some inability to take it, is a source of vitamin C also.

Also bear in mind some juice products are concentrate and need diluted.

Sorry for this being off-topic, but since the topic was broached briefly earlier in the thread, I wanted to add some qualifying remarks to my earlier comment about its efficacy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IMO your doctor was correct. Once someone has a bladder infection, the normal way for it to be treated is with antibiotics.

As you say there may be other reasons why some people are more prone to develop a bladder infection in the first place.

It was not looked for. Prone? That was induced infection. Do you know how many people who have had root canals and develop heart and other organ major problems? It hushed about. The American Dental Association suppresses. Its a form of "deep state." There is a lot of corruption that cloaks itself in a noble cause.

The dentist who first told me of the dangers of both mercury/silver fillings and root canals could have lost his license to practice if what he said made it to the governing body. He was retired from practice when he told me. Corruption and greed hurts lives.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It was not looked for. Prone? That was induced infection. Do you know how many people who have had root canals and develop heart and other organ major problems? It hushed about. The American Dental Association suppresses. Its a form of "deep state." There is a lot of corruption that cloaks itself in a noble cause.

The dentist who first told me of the dangers of both mercury/silver fillings and root canals could have lost his license to practice if what he said made it to the governing body. He was retired from practice when he told me. Corruption and greed hurts lives.

Sorry you leap from one thing to another. It might have nothing to do with root canals for some people, did you ever think of that?

What Are Bladder Infections? What Causes Them?

Bladder infections can arise for various reasons and have been a common occurance throughout history not just since the advent of modern dentistry! They can be treated most of the time with antibiotics.

Drinking cranberry juice in moderation, taking care if one is on any other medications, isn't a cure all but it might for some people reduce likelihood of its re-occurance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry you leap from one thing to another. It might have nothing to do with root canals for some people, did you ever think of that?

What Are Bladder Infections? What Causes Them?

Bladder infections can arise for various reasons and have been a common occurance throughout history not just since the advent of modern dentistry! They can be treated most of the time with antibiotics.

Drinking cranberry juice in moderation, taking care if one is on any other medications, isn't a cure all but it might for some people reduce likelihood of its re-occurance.
Does she have root canals? Was the bacterial infection type defined? Not all bladder infections are the same, nor from the same causes.

Phage therapy against Enterococcus faecalis in dental root canals

Antibiotics can not cure that kind of bladder infection. It would require body harming constant use of antibiotics to restrain at best! Extracting the infected root canal would be the only cure.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mother has no teeth whatsoever (I hope she won't mind me saying) and hasn't had for years, so how could it have been her root canals?
No problem... Its an often overlooked area. I wish her well.

If her bacteria infection is not a typical type I might have another suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No problem... Its an often overlooked area. I wish her well.

If her bacteria infection is not a typical type I might have another suggestion.

Sorry I misunderstood your comment.

All I know is the infection used to re-occur fairly often, but it hasn't for quite a while and she started taking cranberry suppliments a while back.

Its the polyanthrocyanidins in some fruit that are supposed to attract bacteria away from the walls of the bladder.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry I misunderstood your comment.

All I know is the infection used to re-occur fairly often, but it hasn't for quite a while and she started taking cranberry suppliments a while back.

Its the polyanthrocyanidins in some fruit that are supposed to attract bacteria away from the walls of the bladder.
If its a typical infection that should work. Glad to hear.

btw... my mom also lost all her teeth in her later years. She lived to be 98.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God bless you too. Thank you for the advise. I will shop for vegetables.

Look for advice and food for diabetics or pre-diabetics. They lean away from breads and more toward vegetables lower in sugar. That along with advice for exercise is a good way to fight all viruses. They are saying the flue season will be much smaller due to precautions people are taking.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
iu

Upvote 0