There Are a Thousand Gods. Is It Impossible To Make Choices?

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,941.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
in my opinion all religions are cultural but this doesn't prevent a real religion from spreading inside this culture - and beyond.
I know of a friend who grew up in an entirely Muslim background and she claims to have had a dream from Jesus - now she is a Christian in Germany.

So you agree that the religion you have, is totally depending on where you were born?

Upvote 0

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here we don't agree. I said that a loving God should have given it a try to spread his stuff. I did not say anything about success.

Yes - peace and a good afterlife should be criteria to look for when you look for a religion that gives peace for you/ your life.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Here we don't agree. I said that a loving God should have given it a try to spread his stuff. I did not say anything about success.
Neither did I ... I was referring to the alleged "authority of the many" which you seemed to reference by using the words "worldwide", "globalisation", etc.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Dr Michael Shermer, there are a thousand gods around*. And many more non-theistic religions.
Here is an overview of the important ones: BBC - Religion: Religions
Atheists commonly say that it makes no sense to believe that one religion has it right and all the others fail in some sort.
But why don't you take into account those deist religions
- that are still active as opposed to Germanic religions or the Nordic ones...
- that promise an afterlife.
... and make a choice according to what they say?

Thomas

*see minute 7:40 of the video posted here LINK.
There are many religions, there are many spirits...but... there is only ONE GOD...

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
There are many religions, there are many spirits...but... there is only ONE GOD...
There are many religions, there are many spirits (though I don't drink alcohol), but gods... not a single one.

;)

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, what does cultural influence have to do with it, if u say God is the true god?
Men make mistakes.

GOD is GOD...HE remains constant, while men add additions to GOD and make HIM into whom they, in their own carnal mind, make HIM into...

But, again...there is only ONE GOD and ONE TRUTH...

• Useful
Reactions: thomas_t
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many religions, there are many spirits (though I don't drink alcohol), but gods... not a single one.

;)
Well these spirits you can´t drink...and if there are these spirits (and there are) then there is a spiritual realm

And if there is a spiritual realm, then there are many spirits...but only ONE who is THE SPIRIT of GOD...

And in order for one to recognize HIM from other voices/spirits....one would have to grow in their knowledge of HIM...

GOD in HIS wisdom, shut up the mouths of every other lying whispering spirit...for many men will profess to have god(s) but deny THE SON...

And he who denies the SON, has not THE SON, nor THE FATHER who sent HIM...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,941.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Men make mistakes.

GOD is GOD...HE remains constant, while men add additions to GOD and make HIM into whom they, in their own carnal mind, make HIM into...

Tnx for your comment, but what i mean is how come kids become christian in a christian society, but not in a hindu or muslim society?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tnx for your comment, but what i mean is how come kids become christian in a christian society, but not in a hindu or muslim society?
So a child growing up in the home of a muslim or a hindu, is not influenced by their parents?
Yet a christian in a christian home is?

Children are children...
What you are suggesting is not a blanket statement...
Neither is true...a child MAY be influenced by his parents, or he MAY be influenced by others...

Again, it does not change the TRUTH that there is ONE GOD and ONE TRUTH...

Further, it still does not change the fact that what a child was in his youth, will not necessarily be what he will be in his adulthood...

And this too, does not change the TRUTH that there is only ONE GOD and ONE TRUTH...

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Men make mistakes.

If that was the case... should we shut down this boards and simply ignore all religions? Because "men make mistakes".

Which relates directly to the problem of the OP: how to sort out the "mistakes" from the "truth" (Pardon: THE TRUTH!)

Again, there is no god.

Isn't it fun to throw around baseless assertions? ;)

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that was the case... should we shut down this boards and simply ignore all religions? Because "men make mistakes".

Which relates directly to the problem of the OP: how to sort out the "mistakes" from the "truth" (Pardon: THE TRUTH!)

Again, there is no god.

Isn't it fun to throw around baseless assertions? ;)
This is a CHRISTIAN forum, we are discussing GOD...and again, there is only ONE GOD and ONE TRUTH.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,941.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So a child growing up in the home of a muslim or a hindu, is not influenced by their parents?
Yet a christian in a christian home is?

Children are children...
What you are suggesting is not a blanket statement...
Neither is true...a child MAY be influenced by his parents, or he MAY be influenced by others...

Again, it does not change the TRUTH that there is ONE GOD and ONE TRUTH...

Further, it still does not change the fact that what a child was in his youth, will not necessarily be what he will be in his adulthood...

And this too, does not change the TRUTH that there is only ONE GOD and ONE TRUTH...

No I mean why doesn't a child become a christian in a Hindi home, if it is God that inspires faith?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And this is the Apologetics subforum. Defend your claim.
This is a difficult thing to respond to...
Firstly, yes, I can defend...¨my claim¨...
But secondly, it doesn´t matter if I don´t defend...¨my claim¨

Again, TRUTH is TRUTH...it stands alone...it does not need to be argued or defended...regardless of whether men believe it or not...IT IS TRUTH...and it will REMAIN TRUTH...

Upvote 0