There Are a Thousand Gods. Is It Impossible To Make Choices?

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
none of that is demonstrable. None of that is different from it being not real, only "believed in".
according to you.
But anyway nice to read your stuff.
I believe Jesus is there.
I'm convinced: I couldn't have handled my life without him.
It all comes down to what you believe.
I believed Jesus and when my life was in ruins I cryed out to him, and then - this is at least my belief ;) - he fixed my life in the course of years and I ended up being a happy person.
Thanks to God.
At least he was there when I had problems (again: my belief).
I think it is as Bible says: Jesus is the healer for the sick. I was sick and then I had the feeling Jesus healed me from all different kinds of sicknesses.
Thomas

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
according to you.
But anyway nice to read your stuff.
I believe Jesus is there.
I'm convinced: I couldn't have handled my life without him.

I believed Jesus and when my life was in ruins I cryed out to him, and then - this is at least my belief ;) - he fixed my life in the course of years and I ended up being a happy person.
Thanks to God.
At least he was there when I had problems (again: my belief).
I think it is as Bible says: Jesus is the healer for the sick. I was sick and then I had the feeling Jesus healed me from all different kinds of sicknesses.
Thomas
Yes, you believe that. That's the whole point. It's nothing you can demonstrate, it is nothing you can compare, it is nothing that you can face up against the option that it is not "true" and just your imagination. That is the whole problem.

You believe. You are convinced. You had the feeling. That's fine. That's your personal view, your opinion... perhaps the basis for your whole current life.

That's what makes it so hard to "test" it. I cannot test your belief or your feelings. I cannot even test the cause you assume for them.

I don't "believe Jesus". If I had served in the military, I would have been one of those atheists in foxholes that so many Christians say don't exist. I never prayed when my life was in ruins. When it was - and, yes, it happened - I fixed it. Other humans fixed it. No Jesus came to rescue me... and still I ended up a happy and content person.

So what? Should you "test" being like me? Would you want to? How would you even do it?

Upvote 0

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never prayed when my life was in ruins. When it was - and, yes, it happened - I fixed it.
I'm convinced I couldn't fix anything by myself. I wasn't that strong any more. I was ill, had plenty of enemies who started fighting against me, and I had financial problems and no job. This was unsurmountable for little Tommy. I'm convinced: Jesus sorted it out.

You were stronger than me.

Did you know: I am an a-atheist;). I have no evidence that all that happened to me while my life got fixed again... was due to "purely naturalistic" reasons.
No testing was conducted.
No scientist present to record everything that happened inside of me, let alone to prove anything. No scientist to show that any brother or sister in faith that helped me... did so by purely altruistic reasons based on their pure imagination of a God having called them to help me... as opposed to an actual God telling them what to do.

So, I have no faith in any explanation that ascribes every step of my earthly salvation to these purely naturalistic processes ;). I give thanks to God instead.
perhaps the basis for your whole current life.
Jesus is my chosen basis for my entire life indeed.
Thomas

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, I understand that this is what you believe. I don't dispute this. I have no reason to dispute this... and if you are fine with that, I am fine with it, too. Whatever makes you happy.

But as soon as you try to argue for the basis of this belief... your belief alone is not enough.

You started this thread. You started it by trying to make a point for your belief. You tried to use some kind of argument independent from your belief. (Simplified: a worldwide religion is more reasonable to consider correct that a limited local or lapsed one.)

We can talk about that. We can debate that. We can weigh the reasons and arguments. Perhaps we might even find some ways to "test" it.

But if all we have is "Well... this is what I believe. I am convinced it is correct" - "Well, that is what I believe. I am convince that I am correct."... then there is no basis for any kind of conversation, much less an exchange or influence of opinions.

You repeatedly asked me to "try". But there is nothing there for me to "try". You haven't given me anything that I could "try".
There is nothing to try, to test. You are already convinced of the results before you have done any test. Any test that I could come up with you would discard, because of your conviction.

I am happy that your problems are solved. I hope everything works out well for you. But I think that apologetics - or just even talking to unbelievers - might not quite be what you are made for.

This now is not meant to attack you. It is just a general observation an reminder.

Eleos1954 ended one of his posts with "May the Lord soften your heart." Another often used phrase to end such a conversation is "I will pray for you."

The gist of it: something should happen to you, the one I am talking to, to make you more receptive of my words. The problem is with you. I am fine.

How often do you hear "I will pray to God to give me insights of how to talk to you better, so I get make myself better understood."?
I have asked people to do that, repeatedly. Other atheists have done the same, or made similar proposals. But the reaction is always negative... even rejecting. Even insulted and outraged.
They very thought that I should have to change something, just to make you understand... preposterous!

This is not a problem limited to Christians, or religious people. But atheists have to work this out for themselves. Think, learn, research, test.

But you, people like you... you are convinced that you have a personal relationship with God. God! Not some random dude at the corner, not some learned guy at university... GOD! The source of all wisdom and goodness and love and life. The one who managed to save your life when you had problems.

Why is it so difficult to simply ask this God: "Please, give me some insights of how to talk to people who do not believe in your existence to make them more receptive."?

Upvote 0

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why is it so difficult to simply ask this God: "Please, give me some insights of how to talk to people who do not believe in your existence to make them more receptive."?

Here I'm offering you some idea. I'm not convincing you.
Even if a worldwide religion makes more sense to me than a local one if it's a loving God...
I still left it up to you to decide which one is the best of worlwide religions.
I see it as an invitation. I invite you to faith. Convincing is another matter, Christians are called to invite. As receptful as you might be.

But you are helping the Kingdom of God which is Christiandom as I see it... already: by pointing out inconsistencies in their faith. You're doing a good job. I particularly like you pointing out when Christians get aggerssive. It's important to have some good posters keeping a watching eye at this. I noted you are also there when people post junk sources to support condescending views wbout LGBT+ people.
In the last board I was a member in... the most common insult against atheists was "fool". I don't want to know how often you too have heard this,;).
Last but not least, you're just one Damascus Road experience away from faith , as I see it.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Here I'm offering you some idea. I'm not convincing you.
Even if a worldwide religion makes more sense to me than a local one if it's a loving God...
I still left it up to you to decide which one is the best of worlwide religions.
I see it as an invitation. I invite you to faith. Convincing is another matter, Christians are called to invite. As receptful as you might be.
Well... that's not how "faith" works.
If I could, I would "invite" you to try atheism... but I am not allowed.

But you are helping the Kingdom of God which is Christiandom as I see it... already: by pointing out inconsistencies in their faith. You're doing a good job. I particularly like you pointing out when Christians get aggerssive. It's important to have some good posters keeping a watching eye at this. I noted you are also there when people post junk sources to support condescending views wbout LGBT+ people.
In the last board I was a member in... the most common insult against atheists was "fool". I don't want to know how often you too have heard this,;).
Thank you... I think.

Last but not least, you're just one Damascus Road experience away from faith , as I see it.
Am I? Perhaps I should ramp up my efforts to persecute Christians then? ;)

But no, I don't think so. Such experiences tend to only work for people who already believe in the general framework. Atheists are a little more skeptical in this regard, and would ask for something a little more tangible than unverifiable visions.

I might point out that this is one of the inconsistencies in your faith... but somehow I don't think you would care.
Somehow it is much easier for people to accept the inconsistencies in other's "faith", than in their own.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Having lived in Denmark, the Nordic ones are still very much alive in the minds of many in the North...
Would you please explain how Nordic gods are still very much alive in the minds of many in Denmark?

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
A loving God would always try to spread his knowledge I think...
The problem of Divine Hiddenness is a serious threat to theist arguments. It turns out that any concept of god cannot include a desire for us to know him/it.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you please explain how Nordic gods are still very much alive in the minds of many in Denmark?

Cases have gone to court around disrespect for the religious beliefs of the fishermen in the North. That was 50 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums