May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually, what Thomas said was "The Lord of me and the God of me." And that is what Thomas meant.
FWIW, i DO NOT disagree!

My point was that another Messianic Christian once insisted that John 20:28 should've been correctly translated as "god" instead of "God". He said he wasn't a JW, but his theology was just as much in err.

There are more then a few nominal Christians that are uncertain whether or not Yeshua Hamashiach (Jesus the Messiah) was the physical manifestation of GOD incarnate. They may also believe Darwin's 'theory' of evolution. Also scoffing at Daniel in the Lion's Den, David killing Goliath with his slingshot, Noah's Ark and a Worldwide Flood. They don't want to be perceived by their secular friends as a simpleton.

They are more concerned about how secular humanism may view them then how the Lord God views them. In like manner more than a few "christians" are apparently satisfied being blind to Spiritual Truths.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL! The ONLY thing you posted that was in Hebrew was the names Yeshua and Yehoshua...which both actually make my point! Shavuah Tov!

If that were true you would not be arguing with me regarding Hebrew theophoric prefixes and suffixes! Maybe you had a bad teacher?
I have heard better arguments in a pre-school playground. "Neener, neener, neener. You're wrong and I'm right! Am too! Nuh Huh!" I quoted Jewish sources, you only gave your unsupported opinion.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have heard better arguments in a pre-school playground. "Neener, neener, neener. You're wrong and I'm right! Am too! Nuh Huh!" I quoted Jewish sources, you only gave your unsupported opinion.
and your source, as I have said many times to you, contradicts itself multiple times...lots of "ifs" and "buts"...and as I have told you before, you do not even need to know Hebrew to see it!

Regarding the JE, "Like Zeitlin, Trude Weiss-Rosmarin in the Jewish Spectator points out inaccurate information and claims the existence of a generally low level of scholarly expertise. The Jewish Spectator asserts that the work is laden with errors concerning more traditional Jewish areas of study where faith and Halakhah still remain strong"

"In terms of what Jews believe, not very credible at all. It was aimed at being an academic resource, many of its articles either fully or partially written by Christians. So while it represents how academics interpret Jewish beliefs, it frequently does not encapsulate what Judaism actually teaches."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have heard better arguments in a pre-school playground. "Neener, neener, neener. You're wrong and I'm right! Am too! Nuh Huh!" I quoted Jewish sources, you only gave your unsupported
Not all Jewish sources are Truly, Truly Trustworthy ... unless supported by YaHaVaH. Actually "a" (alef) should also be capitalized being it's one of the 22 Hebrew letters of utmost importance.

Both Hebrew names (Yeshua and Yehoshua) would be more representative if spelled "Yeshuah" and "Yehoshuah" ... The special suffix “ah” appears on the end of many Hebrew names and words signifying: “of God”- "chosen by God".

It's more than likely Rabbinic Judasim didn't want to give Yeshua that special "ah" distinction believing He was not Israel's Messiah as He rightly claimed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and your source, as I have said many times to you, contradicts itself multiple times...lots of "ifs" and "buts"...and as I have told you before, you do not even need to know Hebrew to see it!

Regarding the JE, "Like Zeitlin, Trude Weiss-Rosmarin in the Jewish Spectator points out inaccurate information and claims the existence of a generally low level of scholarly expertise. The Jewish Spectator asserts that the work is laden with errors concerning more traditional Jewish areas of study where faith and Halakhah still remain strong"
"In terms of what Jews believe, not very credible at all. It was aimed at being an academic resource, many of its articles either fully or partially written by Christians. So while it represents how academics interpret Jewish beliefs, it frequently does not encapsulate what Judaism actually teaches."
Oh goody! I am so impressed you googled online and found an anonymous source that says just what you want it to say.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not all Jewish sources are Truly, Truly Trustworthy ... unless supported by YaHaVaH. Actually "a" (alef) should also be capitalized being it's one of the 22 Hebrew letters of utmost importance.
Both Hebrew names (Yeshua and Yehoshua) would be more representative if spelled "Yeshuah" and "Yehoshuah" ... The special suffix “ah” appears on the end of many Hebrew names and words signifying: “of God”- "chosen by God".
It's more than likely Rabbinic Judasim didn't want to give Yeshua that special "ah" distinction believing He was not Israel's Messiah as He rightly claimed.
Yet more unsupported opinions about Hebrew words.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Oh goody! I am so impressed you googled online and found an anonymous source that says just what you want it to say.
It is not anonymous and what they said was true

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

This would explain why when I've looked at the Jewish Encyclopedia the articles have at times seemed a little "off". Not representative of what I see other Jewish sources, and what observant practicing Jews--including rabbis--I've spoken to or I've read/listened to have to say.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This would explain why when I've looked at the Jewish Encyclopedia the articles have at times seemed a little "off". Not representative of what I see other Jewish sources, and what observant practicing Jews--including rabbis--I've spoken to or I've read/listened to have to say.

-CryptoLutheran
The Jewish Encyclopedia, which I quote and link to, was published in 1906 and reflects documented beliefs and practices up to that time which means it does not include any scholarship after 1906. Were one to actually read it they might find that virtually everything stated is supported by historical sources. Some are identified within the articles and there is a bibliography at the end of each article. What modern day Jews believe may or may not be the same or similar.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not anonymous and what they said was true
If something is quoted and not properly identified it is anonymous. Unsupported protestations of "It is true" notwithstanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It was not correctly identified, No date, no volume #, the author not identified, no article title etc. no page number.
Nevertheless, as I have said previously, many Hebrew names consist of verb forms contracted with the tetragrammaton indicating that the verbalization of The Name was known in order to understand the connection. The prohibition against verbalizing The Name never applied to the forms of The Name within these contractions (YeHo, Yo) and their pronunciation remains known. These known pronunciations of Hebrew names do not in fact match "Yahweh" as the stand alone form of The Name. This still stands and you have not refuted it...

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nevertheless, as I have said previously, many Hebrew names consist of verb forms contracted with the tetragrammaton indicating that the verbalization of The Name was known in order to understand the connection. The prohibition against verbalizing The Name never applied to the forms of The Name within these contractions (YeHo, Yo) and their pronunciation remains known. These known pronunciations of Hebrew names do not in fact match "Yahweh" as the stand alone form of The Name. This still stands and you have not refuted it...
I am not interested in your unsupported opinions about the tetragrammaton, or anything else for that matter. If you insist on pursuing this, quote me something published by accredited scholars with some letters after their names. e.g. PhD, ThD, etc.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course you do. You are OK with all the inconsistencies and contradictions...
I am still waiting for any nay sayer to disprove anything I posted from credible, verifiable sources e.g. grammars and lexicons etc. So far only crickets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am not interested in your unsupported opinions about the tetragrammaton, or anything else for that matter. If you insist on pursuing this, quote me something published by accredited scholars with some letters after their names. e.g. PhD, ThD, etc.
Of course you are not interested LOL! It proves you wrong! Dr Nehemiah Gordon is one ("Ten Rabbis speak out regarding The Name")....and Rabbi Menachem Tziyoni (14th century commentary on Exodus 3:15 in Hebrew TB Kiddushin 71a)...there, you asked for one and I gave you 2! Both disagree with you...also Rabbi Eliyahu of Vilna (Vilna Gaon) says: "The vowels of The Name are hidden...its vowels are the secret of the Tetragrammaton"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am still waiting for any nay sayer to disprove anything I posted from credible, verifiable sources e.g. grammars and lexicons etc. So far only crickets.
You have posted ONE source, and it contradicts itself LOL!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course you are not interested LOL! It proves you wrong! Dr Nehemiah Gordon is one ("Ten Rabbis speak out regarding The Name")....and Rabbi Menachem Tziyoni (14th century commentary on Exodus 3:15 in Hebrew TB Kiddushin 71a)...there, you asked for one and I gave you 2! Both disagree with you...also Rabbi Eliyahu of Vilna (Vilna Gaon) says: "The vowels of The Name are hidden...its vowels are the secret of the Tetragrammaton"
Listing the names of some current day Jewish scholars does not disprove anything in the Jewish Encyclopedia. This guy said this, that guy said that, some other guy said something else. Instead of pooh poohing the Jewish Encyclopedia review the sources cited in the article and the several sources listed in the bibliography. I think there are about 9.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have posted ONE source, and it contradicts itself LOL!
Patently false. You saying it contradicts itself does not make it so. And OBTW do you know what a shibboleth is?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Listing the names of some current day Jewish scholars does not disprove anything in the Jewish Encyclopedia. This guy said this, that guy said that, some other guy said something else. Instead of pooh poohing the Jewish Encyclopedia review the sources cited in the article and the several sources listed in the bibliography. I think there are about 9.
LOL, YOU asked for them, I provided them and now nothing is good enough LOL...you are being dishonest...the only crickets are coming from your end...

Last edited:
Upvote 0