Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
The Yahweh Name Part 1 Initial Declaration and Fulfilment
The following is a consideration of the Yahweh Name that was revealed in Exodus 3:14. It is hoped that the following comments will help to explain some of the language of both the OT and NT and the true role of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

The Name of God was revealed to Moses in the following terms:
Exodus 3:14-15 (KJV): 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Most translations and commentators accept the present tense “I am that I am”, but notice in the margin of the RV (or ASV) and RSV, an alternative is given “I will be that I will be” or “I will be what I will be”, showing that some modern scholars suggest this alternative reading. Although not popular it appears that this future tense is the correct translation. Not only modern scholars, Tyndale also translated this in the future tense.
Exodus 3:12-14 (Tyndale): 12 And he sayde: I wilbe with the. And this shalbe a token vnto the that I haue sent the: after that thou hast broughte the people out of Egipte, ye shall serue God vppon this mountayne. 13 Than sayde Moses vnto God: when I come vnto the childern of Israell and saye vnto them, the God of youre fathers hath sent me vnto you, ad they saye vnto me, what ys his name, what answere shall I geuethem? 14 Then sayde God vnto Moses: I wilbe what I wilbe: ad he sayde, this shalt thou saye vnto the children of Israel: I wilbe dyd send me to you.

I also like his spelling, especially where he gives “wilbe”.

The word translated “I AM” in the KJV of Exodus 3:14 is the Hebrew “ehyeh” and this is the same as in the earlier statement in v12, and here the translators give the future tense:
Exodus 3:12 (KJV): And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.
Not only does this fix the tense, it also introduces the concept that the Name of God is also associated with some future activity.

This future tense was to be the future activity by God acting to deliver Israel out of Egypt, so that Israel would become a people for His Name. They would be a living witness to the purpose of God, and a witness to the existence of God. The following passage emphasises this future work by God in delivering Israel and there is given a strong connection with the God’s Name which had been revealed:
Exodus 6:1-8 (KJV): 1 Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land. 2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD: 3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH (or Yahweh) was I not known to them. 4 And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers. 5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant. 6 Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments: 7 And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. 8 And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the LORD.

When Israel was delivered out of Egypt the Name of God remains the same, but the particular activity has been accomplished:
Exodus 15:1-3 (KJV): 1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him. 3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
The future tense of God’s Name “He will be or become” had been accomplished, and Yahweh had become Israel’s salvation.

Kind regards
Trevor

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
The Yahweh Name Part 2 The Fulfilment in our Lord Jesus Christ
The initial fulfillment was not the ultimate completion of the Yahweh Name. God’s purpose with the earth was not complete with the salvation of Israel out of Egypt. God’s purpose was declared in the following, but sadly this was spoken at a time when the very generation that had been born through God’s deliverance failed.
Numbers 14:21 (KJV): But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD.

The above raises the question of how and when will the earth be filled with the glory of God. One indication is found when the Psalmist uses the same words as Moses’ Song to speak of another deliverance:
Psalm 118:14-25 (KJV): 14 The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation. 15 The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly. 16 The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly. 17 I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD. 18 The LORD hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death. 19 Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD: 20 This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter. 21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation. 22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. 23 This is the LORDS doing; it is marvellous in our eyes. 24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. 25 Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.

The above is quoted at length to show that there was to be a greater salvation in fulfillment of the Yahweh Name. It is evident from the context that this salvation is by means of the suffering, crucifixion, death and resurrection of the man of God’s right hand, the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

This greater deliverance is revealed even in the conception and birth of the child:
Matthew 1:20-21 (KJV): 20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The meaning of the name Jesus is revealed: “for he shall save his people from their sins”. Was Jesus to be an independent Saviour? No, the name Jesus incorporates the Yahweh Name, Je-sous, Jo-shua, or Yah-oshea. He was to be Yahweh’s Salvation. Here then is the extension or fulfillment of the Yahweh Name, Yahweh was to be, to become. He was to “become salvation” Exodus 15:2, in and through Jesus, the Son of God. Yahweh is the Saviour, Jesus is the Saviour. In other words Yahweh, God the Father is the Saviour through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Yahweh has become salvation.

Salvation is now offered in the Name of Jesus Christ:
Acts 4:10-12 (KJV): 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

The subject of God’s Name has many other aspects, but I suggest the more we understand some of these aspects, the more we realise that the spelling and pronunciation of the Name, while important, is not as important as understanding the Name. Here are a few examples of other aspects:
Psalm 9:10 (KJV): And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

John 12:27–28 (KJV): 27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

Kind regards
Trevor

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
The Yahweh Name (cont’d)
The previous two Posts established that Yahweh is the One God who acted to deliver Israel out of Egypt. There are many passages after these events where the Yahweh Name appears and perhaps one of the most important of these is mentioned below, and this is extensively quoted and expounded by Jesus and the Apostles.
Psalm 110:1 (KJV): The LORD (Yahweh) said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
The above speaks of two distinct individuals, one called “LORD” and the other “Lord”, and as suggested above “LORD” is the Hebrew word “Yahweh”, while “Lord” is the normal word representing Lord, Master, Ruler. The KJV usually represents Yahweh by LORD in capitals, and only in a few places by the incorrect rendition Jehovah. Occasionally the KJV also uses GOD to represent Yahweh, and these are when YHWH has the vowel points of Elohim instead of the more frequent Adonai.

Our Lord Jesus Christ quotes and expounds Psalm 110:1 in the following:
Matthew 22:41–46 (KJV): 41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. 43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, 44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? 45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? 46 And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.
This identifies Yahweh as the One God, the Father and David’s Lord is the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who is now seated at the right hand of God, His Father, in God the Father’s Throne.

Peter also quotes and expounds Psalm 110:1 after the death and resurrection of Jesus:
Acts 2:29–36 (KJV): 29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Jesus has been raised from the dead and exalted by God to sit at the right hand of God the Father. This again confirms that the One God is Yahweh, God the Father, and David’s Lord is our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Jesus quotes and alludes to Psalm 110:1 in the following, again showing that there is One God, Yahweh, God the Father and that our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Revelation 3:21–22 (KJV): 21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Kind regards
Trevor

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
The Yahweh Name (cont’d)
In my first post I mentioned that the margin of the Revised Version has "I will be" for Exodus 3:14, and one of the supporters of this rendition could have been AB Davidson as he was one of the Hebrew scholars engaged in the production of the RV. Please note that I do not endorse all of his theology, as he was most probably a Trinitarian and also had other wrong ideas, but his Hebrew abilities have been respected and some of his Hebrew books were published in new editions until recently.

The article by AB Davidson is in the Hastings Bible Dictionary Volume 2 page 199:
"The name is connected with the Hebrew ‘hayah’, ‘to be’, in the imperfect. Now with regard to this verb, first, it does not mean ‘to be’ essentially or ontologically, but phenomenally; and secondly the imperfect has not the sense of a present (‘am’) but of a future (‘will be’). In Exodus 3:10ff when Moses demurred to go to Egypt, God assured him saying, ‘I will be with thee’. When he asked how he should name the God of their fathers to the people, he was told Ehyeh asher Ehyeh. Again he was bidden say, ‘Ehyeh hath sent me unto you’. From all this it seems evident that in the view of the writer Ehyeh and Yahweh are the same: that God is Ehyeh, ‘I will be’, when speaking of Himself and ‘Yahweh’, ‘he will be’, when spoken of by others. What He will be is left unexpressed - He will be with them, helper, strengthener, deliverer."
Now this last comment by AB Davidson ties in with what I suggested that what God would do or be was that Yahweh would be their salvation.

Another additional aspect is that this could also be connected with the expression in the promises to David:
2 Samuel 7:12–16 (KJV): 12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever. 14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: 15 But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee. 16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.

The development of the Name Yahweh will not only be associated with what God would accomplish, that is salvation, but also associated with the development of the Messiah, through whom salvation will be accomplished, Yahweh will be his father, and he will be Yahweh’s son. There is One God, Yahweh, God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Yeshua HaDerekh,
Except His name is YeHoShua...YeHo is the theophoric prefix...YaH is a poetic abbreviation...
I appreciate your response. I am happy using "Jesus" Matthew 1:20-21 (KJV), but I understand the meaning as something like "Yah's Salvation" or "The Salvation of Yah". I am not sure how the Greek form of Jesus' Name was developed, nor how the English "Jesus" came into common usage in most English translations. There is another thread on this subject and I notice that you have participated in that thread which is more relevant to discuss your suggestion and will save repetition. I am not certain of the exact spelling or pronunciation of YHWH, and my Hebrew is very limited, but I like to use Yahweh as it is suggested and used by many scholars. I consider that "Jehovah" is erroneous.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I am not certain of the exact spelling or pronunciation of YHWH, and my Hebrew is very limited, but I like to use Yahweh as it is suggested and used by many scholars. I consider that "Jehovah" is erroneous.

Kind regards
Trevor
You would likely be wrong...

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
You would likely be wrong...
You would need to take that up with Hebrew scholars, some of whom do not agree with each other. What you have written in your two posts is a little ambiguous, and this this second one does not really help.

My main aim in this thread is to support the future tense of the Yahweh Name and speak about how this Name is developed. Another aspect is the similar language to Exodus 15:2 and Psalm 118:14 in the following:
Isaiah 12:1–6 (KJV): 1 And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me. 2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. 3 Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. 4 And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted. 5 Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth. 6 Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.
I consider that this is future, when Jesus returns and converts and saves a significant remnant of natural Israel.

I also claim that the following is the fulfillment and completion of the Yahweh Name at the end of the 1000 year reign of Jesus upon the earth:
1 Corinthians 15:23–28 (KJV): 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The subject of God’s Name has many other aspects, but I suggest the more we understand some of these aspects, the more we realise that the spelling and pronunciation of the Name, while important, is not as important as understanding the Name.
How do you understand the name?

Please note that I do not endorse all of his theology, as he was most probably a Trinitarian and also had other wrong ideas
Why not? (Genuinely curious, not trying to start a debate)

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Pipp@,
How do you understand the name?
As per posts #1-4 and 8.
Why not? (Genuinely curious, not trying to start a debate)
Because I believe that there is One God, Yahweh, God the Father and that our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection (as stated at the end of post #4).

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because I believe that there is One God, Yahweh, God the Father and that our Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection
OK.. so where (in your view) is Jesus now?

The reason I ask is because I am a newbie and struggled with the trinity concept, and I didn't know there were Christians who believe Jesus is the son of God without believing in the trinity.

Can you explain this to me?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings again Pipp@,
OK.. so where (in your view) is Jesus now?
Jesus, the Son of God is seated at the right hand of God, in God the Father's Throne, refer Psalm 110:1, Revelation 3:21-22 and Acts 3:19-21 all quoted above (and see below also).

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings again Pipp@,

Jesus, the Son of God is seated at the right hand of God, in God the Father's Throne, refer Psalm 110:1, Revelation 3:21-22 and Acts 3:19-21 all quoted above (and see below also).

Kind regards
Trevor
OK so (in your view) is he a human spirit then?

What do you think the word means, in the word became flesh?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

You would need to take that up with Hebrew scholars, some of whom do not agree with each other. What you have written in your two posts is a little ambiguous, and this this second one does not really help.

My main aim in this thread is to support the future tense of the Yahweh Name and speak about how this Name is developed. Another aspect is the similar language to Exodus 15:2 and Psalm 118:14 in the following:
Isaiah 12:1–6 (KJV): 1 And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me. 2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. 3 Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. 4 And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted. 5 Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth. 6 Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.
I consider that this is future, when Jesus returns and converts and saves a significant remnant of natural Israel.

I also claim that the following is the fulfillment and completion of the Yahweh Name at the end of the 1000 year reign of Jesus upon the earth:
1 Corinthians 15:23–28 (KJV): 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Kind regards
Trevor
Have you looked at the ontogeny and origination of "Yahweh"?? Iabe? Yahveh. How does it relate at all with Hayah Hoveh Yihyeh? Other than that, I have no idea what you are talking about in the rest of your post...

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@TrevorL The Jewish scholars at Jewish Publication Society did this study more than 100 years ago. Link to 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia article 12 page article "Names of God."
Jewish Encyclopedia online

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@TrevorL The Jewish scholars at Jewish Publication Society did this study more than 100 years ago. Link to 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia article 12 page article "Names of God."
Jewish Encyclopedia online
You do know there are many inconsistencies in that article, especially the abbreviated forms. Also, Shem ha Meforash...look at the vowels...sod IMO...you want to talk about Adonai? :)

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do know there are many inconsistencies in that article, especially the abbreviated forms. Also, Shem ha Meforash...look at the vowels...sod IMO...you want to talk about Adonai? :)
I presume that the Jewish Encyclopedia is correct unless I see some credible, verifiable, historical etc. evidence to the contrary.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I presume that the Jewish Encyclopedia is correct unless I see some credible, verifiable, historical etc. evidence to the contrary.

Of course you do. You are OK with all the inconsistencies and contradictions...

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ever Listen to Dr Michael Brown? I don't follow the man but he does have a sold back ground. I always like to hear listen to both sides

About the name yahweh.

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings again Pipp@,
OK so (in your view) is he a human spirit then?
I believe that Jesus is a human who has been raised from the dead and his body has been changed from a mortal body to an immortal body.
What do you think the word means, in the word became flesh?
The following definition could help:
Logos: Plan, Pre-determined purpose, Ruling principle in the universe, Essence of God’s purpose, Fountain of all reason. A word reveals thought: and the word of God is the revelation of his purpose.

I also like the concept of partial personification shown in Psalm 33:6,9 and Isaiah 5:8-11, and also the Wise Woman Wisdom, who was with God in the creation in Proverbs 8. I believe that The Word in John 1:1 is a personification or similar figure of speech. John in John 1:14 is showing how the Divine character became embodied in Jesus, the Son of God as he was full of grace and truth and revealed God's moral glory at the start of his ministry.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0