The "Ten Words" vs the Mitzvot

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Zayit said:
In Messianic Judaism or in Judaism "proper" is there a "respect" to which is more important? and why? Also is it a "greater sin" to break one of the ten, as opposed to the other 603?

All opinions are welcome.
It is my understanding that the Ten are the outline, or synopsis if you will, of the Torah/mitzvot. Kinda the syllibus in a course of study, the door through which we enter the path of study. General categories - to be fleshed out by our understanding as we obey and study Torah ;)

Upvote 0

ShirChadash

A Jew, by the grace and love of God. Come home!
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟22,943.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I believe I have read that in Judaism, there is no separating any portion of the Torah out into more important/less important teachings...

So I would say it comes down to...

Cliff notes :)

The whole of the Torah is the whole work... the "big ten" are the cliff notes, and the two greatest commands are the "essense" of the or the "gist" of the major points of the whole. Those who only study the cliff notes to get the overall gist of a literary work, haven't a firm grasp and understanding of the ins and outs of the piece, by any means. If someone wanted to know the ins and outs of the law governing any given thing, he would not simply stop at the summary of the laws regarding that subject... he would delve in to know the whole of it.

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2 Timothy [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Did I answer the question?

:sorry: What was the question, again?

Ding dong... nobody home... :pink:
[/font]

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Zemirah said:
I believe I have read that in Judaism, there is no separating any portion of the Torah out into more important/less important teachings...

So I would say it comes down to...

Cliff notes :)

The whole of the Torah is the whole work... the "big ten" are the cliff notes, and the two greatest commands are the "essense" of the or the "gist" of the major points of the whole. Those who only study the cliff notes to get the overall gist of a literary work, haven't a firm grasp and understanding of the ins and outs of the piece, by any means. If someone wanted to know the ins and outs of the law governing any given thing, he would not simply stop at the summary of the laws regarding that subject... he would delve in to know the whole of it.

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2 Timothy [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Did I answer the question?

:sorry: What was the question, again?

Ding dong... nobody home... :pink:
[/font]
Right - like someone studying the Cliff Notes on Macbeth - they ould pass the exam, maybe, but they sure couldn't hold a decent conversation with anyone who had actually READ the Play!!!

Upvote 0

sojeru

just a Jew
Mar 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,145.00
Faith
Judaism
Just to add on, I must say, in speaking for Judaism...
that there are times and situations that will have a Commandment be a lesser commandment than another- thus when two commandments are in conflict with one another- the Weightier commandment must be done.

If a person disregards this and see them both as equal- he will never be able to fulfill Torah by its strict adherence to the letter- thus the spirit(breath- oral torah) is needed.

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
So all are to be followed equally? I should think that there would be an "order" such as

1. G-d
2. Human beings
3. Animals
4 Human beings other property

etc

Also I would think because of the manner in which they were given, the 10 written by HaShem himself and the others "dictated" to Moshe. I do understand the outline the two and then the division of five and five and the rest falling in one or the other catagory, I just thought that there might be more.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Zayit said:
So all are to be followed equally? I should think that there would be an "order" such as

1. G-d
2. Human beings
3. Animals
4 Human beings other property

etc

Also I would think because of the manner in which they were given, the 10 written by HaShem himself and the others "dictated" to Moshe. I do understand the outline the two and then the division of five and five and the rest falling in one or the other catagory, I just thought that there might be more.
Trying to overlay my human concept of hierarchy or fairness over HaShem's teachings always leaves me a bit frustrated :)

His hierachy is constructed a bit different than our logic might dictate.
For instance:
Life comes first, usually. There are some "heavy hitter" mitzvot that one is allowed to transgress in order to save one's own life or that of another, and there are other mitzvot you are not allowed to transgress EVEN to save a life......

Upvote 0