Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The rosary, however, is about us petitioning the Virgin and believing that she has the authority to grant our petitions thanks to our having used that particular artifact in the process.

It is NOT just about her praying for mortals. The Bible does say that the angels pray constantly for us, so that much is not particularly controversial.
You really haven't studied it before repeat the myths to others.

The entireity of catholic theology on intercession is as it is in bible. This case the mother of a davidic king, given the honorary title queen has the power to petition her son, and often the petitions are granted. See Isaiah for precedent and Cana of evidence it happens.

Which is just as the early fathers stated including those that decided your creed and New Testament. Take anasthasius and ephraim as particularly vociferous,

But then you know that. I have said it to you several times.So why do you feel compelled to mislead?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You really haven't studied it before repeat the myths to others.[/quote

As if you would have any way of knowing.

[quote The entireity of catholic theology on intercession is as it is in bible.

This case the mother of a davidic king, given the honorary title queen has the power to petition her son, and often the petitions are granted. See Isaiah for precedent and Cana of evidence it happens.

Which is just as the early fathers stated including those that decided your creed and New Testament. Take anasthasius and ephraim as particularly vociferous,
None of that even comes close to the reality of the situation, although its an interesting study in stringing together disparate events in the Bible in order to reach an invalid conclusion.

There is actually no passage in Scripture in which we are encouraged or authorized to try to communicate with the dead or, for that matter, to think that any particular saint can confer spiritual benefits upon us in response to prayers directed to them. The rosary is one such example of that.

The many claims about Marys power that the church has promoted over the years are strictly based upon legend, custom, and human speculation (you mentioned Anasthasius [sic] and Ephraim as examples of that), but not on Scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mary interceded at Cana.
When both were together and alive in the flesh, she asked him for a favor.

That obviously is not the equivalent humans today believing in the ability of mortals to communicate with the dead or that these spirits can deliver, on their own authority, what has been requested. Unfortunately, the rosary involves both of those unscriptural assumptions.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
When both were together and alive in the flesh, she asked him for a favor.

That obviously is not the equivalent humans today believing in the ability of mortals to communicate with the dead or that these spirits can deliver, on their own authority, what has been requested. Unfortunately, the rosary involves both of those unscriptural assumptions.

It amazes me at how far Catholic go to stretch scripture to fit their doctrine.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
2) Continue in this prayer, even if it's not enjoyable for you anymore. You could turn it into a personal sacrifice for God, doing it out of pure obedience or desire to please Him. I think St. John of the Cross discusses how prayer in this way (done out of obedience, not desire) is more pleasing in the eyes of God than prayer done because it makes us feel good. God certainly loves when we love to pray, but continuing in prayer despite not loving it, and even if it doesn't produce the results we pray for, will be rewarded in a different way.

I am no longer Catholic, however I can't seem to stop praying the Rosary (neither could Luther). Mary will always be of importance to me and the Gospel that is brought forth from her Rosary can never be something that our Lord would ever disagree with. I agree with TuxAme that obedience to Him might lead you to want to pray His Mother's prayer.
If you still feel "dry" other prayers praising His Name are certainly fine. You may even find that the chaplet of Divine Mercy, or St. Therese of Lisieux's etc. may help you feel that you can come closer to him.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I am no longer Catholic, however I can't seem to stop praying the Rosary (neither could Luther). Mary will always be of importance to me and the Gospel that is brought forth from her Rosary can never be something that our Lord would ever disagree with.

Don't worry about it too much. I used to be an Orthodox catechumen, I was one for some time, and that did not come out of me just because I started attending a Lutheran church. Unlike the Reformed, we really do not teach that the Rosary is some kind of horrible evil, nor is honoring Mary a sin. We just teach that people have access to God through Jesus, and that Jesus is our friend.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Inasmuch as they have put on Christ and have become partakers of the divine nature.
Galatians 3:27
2 Peter 1:4

Good Scriptures but they have nothing to do whatsoever with the question asked by "bbbbbb".

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good Scriptures but they have nothing to do whatsoever with the question asked by "bbbbbb".
Matthew 15:6
So, for the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 15:6
So, for the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God.

This is a perfect example of using Scriptures to force them into a thought that they do not belong to.

When we shop the Bible for words that seem to support what we believe we forget to look at what they actually do mean instead.

Behind Matthew 15:6 is a practice whereby people excused themselves from providing for their parents on the grounds of giving offerings (not tithes) to the Temple. On the surface this may seem like an honorable practice, but Jesus condemned them as hypocrites!

God wants mercy to people in need, not the "sacrifice" of an offering to God that we think might put us in better standing with Him. That "sacrifice" should have been spent relieving the parent's need!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, all. I've been maintaining a very deep prayer life for all last semester, a not-so-deep prayer life for a year or so before that, and not much of any prayer life before that, but at any stage, no matter how much or how hard I try, praying the Rosary just doesn't seem to do anything for me or for anything or anyone around me. I do novenas, prayers to saints, prayers that I make up as I go, short ones throughout the day, and even write my own psalms, and for all of those I feel like they do a lot for me & those around me, but the rosary never seems to do anything.
It's a little bothersome for me, because I hear speakers & authors all the time talking about the importance of praying the rosary, of how it's one of our most powerful weapons against the devil, but I just don't get anything from it, or feel like I've done anything at all.
Is this just because God is calling me away from the general rosary to do more specific novenas & other prayers to saints? Or what's going on here?

I think you need to go back to the basics.

Relax. Breath in God. Exhale God.

The Rosary is a wonderful prayer. A prayer to God. A prayer of the love of Jesus.

Dont get entangled in numerous prayers, thoughts, actions etc. Strip your prayers down to just a basic few. Yes, include the Rosary. Say it from the heart, the soul.

God knows what is in your heart, your deepest thoughts.

God bless you friend

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But then your silly sola scriptura is easily provable false ….
Interestingly enough, however, no one ever does prove it false. The critics merely declare it to be false.

Worse than that, the truth is that it cannot be proven false. Why? Because there is nothing to prove or disprove.

The concept that we call Sola Scriptura merely asserts that the word of God (and the Catholic churches no less than the Protestant churches acknowledge that Scripture IS divine revelation, you know) is more authoritative than man's opinions.

So...do you want to argue against that?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, I forgot I had this post!

That was awhile ago when I posted this, and shortly afterwards, a particularly aggressive reply tried to bash the Rosary by bringing up one of the 15 Promises of the Rosary. Intrigued, I checked out what they were, and since then I've been much more dedicated to it; I guess I just needed to understand what I was doing a little better!

Also, I've come across something really good for my spiritual life, called the Scripture Rosary. It reads a Bible verse before each "Hail Mary", a verse that refers to the Mystery in that particular Decade. I've found one on YouTube for each of the 4 sets of Mysteries, downloaded them on my tablet, and now I do it every day, immersing myself in Scripture while I do what I've come to recognize as one of our most powerful prayers! (Perhaps the Mass is the only prayer stronger, but I've found that trust may be the strongest prayer of all).

15 promises.jpg

God be with us & bless us, all the days of our lives!:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wow, I forgot I had this post!

That was awhile ago when I posted this, and shortly afterwards, a particularly aggressive reply tried to bash the Rosary by bringing up one of the 15 Promises of the Rosary. Intrigued, I checked out what they were, and since then I've been much more dedicated to it; I guess I just needed to understand what I was doing a little better!
Thank you for posting that "15 Promises of the Virgin" material, Alex.
View attachment 253450

Anyone reading them can see instantly that the rosary is a devotional directed to Mary specifically (allegedly by her own command), and that praying the rosary is believed to result in Mary herself approving our petitions, saving petitioners from hell, granting grace to them, giving them special exemptions from Purgatory, and rewarding those who pray the rosary with a high place in heaven.

The oft-heard claim that praying the rosary is about 1) devotion to Jesus instead of Mary and/or 2) that it is just about asking her to intercede with the Father for us, nothing more...

...is completely false.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

2 Timothy 3:15-17...…...
"And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works".

In this one remarkable passage Paul claims that the Bible is profitable—

1. For doctrine—that is, it may be used as the perfect textbook to present the systematic teachings of the great truths relating to God himself.

2. For reproof—that is, the Bible is to be used to convict us of the wrong in our lives.

3. For correction—that is, it will then show us the right way.

4. For instruction in righteousness—that is, God’s Word provides all the necessary details which will allow a Christian to become fully equipped for every good work.

Listed below are the various functions of this authoritative book called the Bible.

A. It upholds (Ps. 119:116).

B. It orders steps (Ps. 119:133).

C. It produces joy (Ps. 119:162).

D. It strengthens (Ps. 119:28; 1 Jn. 2:14).

E. It gives hope (Ps. 119:74, 81).

F. It gives light (Ps. 119:105, 130).

G. It gives understanding (Ps. 119:169).

H. It shows God’s will (Isa. 55:11).

I. It builds up (Acts 20:32).

J. It produces fruit (Jn. 15:7).

K. It convicts of sin (Heb. 4:12).

L. It converts the soul (Jas. 1:18; 1 Pet. 1:23).

M. It cleanses the conscience (Jn. 15:3).

N. It consecrates life (Jn. 17:17).

O. It corrects the wrong (2 Tim. 3:16).

P. It confirms the right (Jn. 8:31).

Q. It comforts the heart (Ps. 119:50, 54).
Swartzentrover.com | Doctrines - The Supreme Authority of the Bible

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, no sin there.

They say no such thing. Is this an anti Catholic response?

They say so such thing. Is this an anti Catholic response?

They say no such things. Is this an anti Catholic response?

The only truth about your post.

Albion said:
Anyone reading them can see instantly that the rosary is a devotional directed to Mary

Concretecamper then said...…….
"So, no sin there."

The Bible says in Ex. 20:4-6...……
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Timothy 3:15-17...…...
"And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works".

In this one remarkable passage Paul claims that the Bible is profitable—

1. For doctrine—that is, it may be used as the perfect textbook to present the systematic teachings of the great truths relating to God himself.

2. For reproof—that is, the Bible is to be used to convict us of the wrong in our lives.

3. For correction—that is, it will then show us the right way.

4. For instruction in righteousness—that is, God’s Word provides all the necessary details which will allow a Christian to become fully equipped for every good work.

Listed below are the various functions of this authoritative book called the Bible.

A. It upholds (Ps. 119:116).

B. It orders steps (Ps. 119:133).

C. It produces joy (Ps. 119:162).

D. It strengthens (Ps. 119:28; 1 Jn. 2:14).

E. It gives hope (Ps. 119:74, 81).

F. It gives light (Ps. 119:105, 130).

G. It gives understanding (Ps. 119:169).

H. It shows God’s will (Isa. 55:11).

I. It builds up (Acts 20:32).

J. It produces fruit (Jn. 15:7).

K. It convicts of sin (Heb. 4:12).

L. It converts the soul (Jas. 1:18; 1 Pet. 1:23).

M. It cleanses the conscience (Jn. 15:3).

N. It consecrates life (Jn. 17:17).

O. It corrects the wrong (2 Tim. 3:16).

P. It confirms the right (Jn. 8:31).

Q. It comforts the heart (Ps. 119:50, 54).
Swartzentrover.com | Doctrines - The Supreme Authority of the Bible
We all agree the Bible is profitable for men. You have yet to prove ONLY the bible is profitable and that every devotion MUST be mentioned in the bible.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We all agree the Bible is profitable for men. You have yet to prove ONLY the bible is profitable and that every devotion MUST be mentioned in the bible.

YOU have failed to show where the ROSARY is mentioned in the Scriptures at all.

I do not actually have to PROVE anything. We as Christians should live by faith.

Romans 1:16-17 ...….
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I do not think using the rosary is idolatry, but neither do I think that the supposed spiritual benefits believed to come from praying the rosary or, for that matter, directing ones prayers to a created being rather than to God, is proper.

How about that instead of straining to make the issue be about demons?

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.