Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, all. I've been maintaining a very deep prayer life for all last semester, a not-so-deep prayer life for a year or so before that, and not much of any prayer life before that, but at any stage, no matter how much or how hard I try, praying the Rosary just doesn't seem to do anything for me or for anything or anyone around me. I do novenas, prayers to saints, prayers that I make up as I go, short ones throughout the day, and even write my own psalms, and for all of those I feel like they do a lot for me & those around me, but the rosary never seems to do anything.
It's a little bothersome for me, because I hear speakers & authors all the time talking about the importance of praying the rosary, of how it's one of our most powerful weapons against the devil, but I just don't get anything from it, or feel like I've done anything at all.
Is this just because God is calling me away from the general rosary to do more specific novenas & other prayers to saints? Or what's going on here?

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
All of our relationships with the Lord are very individualized. What doesn’t bear fruit now may bear fruit later. For now Mix it up and try other modes of prayer like praying the psalms or just straight from your heart.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a little bothersome for me, because I hear speakers & authors all the time talking about the importance of praying the rosary, of how it's one of our most powerful weapons against the devil, but I just don't get anything from it, or feel like I've done anything at all.

What did Jesus teach on the matter? Right off hand, all I'm aware of is the lords prayer, but he may have taught more in that area I'm not aware of.

He is my example, so makes sense to me I do what he did or says to do.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF. :)

I couldn't begin to advise on praying the Rosary, since we don't do it in Orthodoxy. However, I just thought I'd suggest to you that if you don't find answers here, you might ask in the Catholic forum - One Bread, One Body - Catholic

I think in this one you are more likely to get various denominations discussing their opinion of praying the Rosary, rather than being as likely to find help of how or why to do it. I could be wrong. :) But just in case you don't get what you need, I thought I'd offer the suggestion.

Again, welcome to CF!

Hello, all. I've been maintaining a very deep prayer life for all last semester, a not-so-deep prayer life for a year or so before that, and not much of any prayer life before that, but at any stage, no matter how much or how hard I try, praying the Rosary just doesn't seem to do anything for me or for anything or anyone around me. I do novenas, prayers to saints, prayers that I make up as I go, short ones throughout the day, and even write my own psalms, and for all of those I feel like they do a lot for me & those around me, but the rosary never seems to do anything.
Is this just because God is calling me away from the general rosary to do more specific novenas & other prayers to saints? Or what's going on here?

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

When a prayer is powerful that does not mean we get a powerful feeling from it. It means it is powerful in the spiritual realm, where we may never actually know what it achieves.

If you really don't want to do it, then don't. But don't judge any prayer by how it makes you feel; that isn't what prayer is for. And if you want to pray the rosary, but can't quite manage it, then use an online site or even buy a CD. I have a JPII rosary CD; I put it on and do whatever else I am doing, and I let JP pray the rosary for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosary-Pope-John-Paul-II/dp/B0000064PB

Pray the Rosary Online - Cathedral of Mary Our Queen

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My dear friend. Please open your Bible to the back index and look up the word ROSARY.

If your Bible does not have an index, use a Bible Dictionary or Concordance and look it up.

If you do have one of those, simply do a goggle search for "Rosary in the Bible".

When you have done all that and you do not find the Rosary in the Bible, now ask yourself WHY you are praying to one????

That is called IDOLATRY my dear friend.

The ROSARY is a manufactured word by the Traditions of men n the Catholic church and is in no way a Bible directive, doctrine or even a word or suggestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
WHY you are praying to one????

That is called IDOLATRY my dear friend.

We don't use the Rosary either so I'm not arguing for it. For different reasons though. But this statement reveals a tremendous misunderstanding.

The idea of a Rosary set up as an idol and prayed to ... would be funny, except that apparently someone sees it that way?

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Closed for review door.jpg

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We don't use the Rosary either so I'm not arguing for it. For different reasons though. But this statement reveals a tremendous misunderstanding.

The idea of a Rosary set up as an idol and prayed to ... would be funny, except that apparently someone sees it that way?

Yes I agree. However, facts are facts and we would be doing an injustice to ignore them.

Roman Catholicism does not attribute divinity to Mary (at least, not yet), but it does attribute divine powers to her:........
atonement of sin;
divine access to God,
delivering our souls from death;
her intercession brings us salvation, just to name some of the obviouse.

Such magnificent attributes of Mary are found nowhere in Scripture. Let me say this again, none of these things are found in God's inspired word. They are, however, said to be found in the Roman Catholic Church's Sacred Tradition. I cannot help considering what God said through the Apostle Paul about not exceeding what is written in the word of God.

1 Cor. 4:6 & 16.
"Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that in us you might learn not to exceed what is written, in order that no one of you might become arrogant in behalf of one against the other."

So, the Roman Catholic Church is commanded by Scripture to not exceed what is written in God's word. Has it done that? Has it exceeded the limits of Scripture? Yes, it has.

• Agree
Reactions: Ryan Reborn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Some prayers simply "aren't for" certain people. The speakers you talk about may have a great love for the Rosary and benefit much from it, but we're all unique individuals with different spiritual needs. Maybe you'll begin to see benefits from it again sometime in the future- perhaps not. In this situation, you can do two things:

1) You can "give up" the Rosary for awhile, allowing you to devote more time to those prayers which seem more efficacious to you, or;

2) Continue in this prayer, even if it's not enjoyable for you anymore. You could turn it into a personal sacrifice for God, doing it out of pure obedience or desire to please Him. I think St. John of the Cross discusses how prayer in this way (done out of obedience, not desire) is more pleasing in the eyes of God than prayer done because it makes us feel good. God certainly loves when we love to pray, but continuing in prayer despite not loving it, and even if it doesn't produce the results we pray for, will be rewarded in a different way.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes I agree. However, facts are facts and we would be doing an injustice to ignore them.

Roman Catholicism does not attribute divinity to Mary (at least, not yet), but it does attribute divine powers to her:........
atonement of sin;
divine access to God,
delivering our souls from death;
her intercession brings us salvation, just to name some of the obviouse.

Such magnificent attributes of Mary are found nowhere in Scripture. Let me say this again, none of these things are found in God's inspired word. They are, however, said to be found in the Roman Catholic Church's Sacred Tradition. I cannot help considering what God said through the Apostle Paul about not exceeding what is written in the word of God.

1 Cor. 4:6 & 16.
"Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that in us you might learn not to exceed what is written, in order that no one of you might become arrogant in behalf of one against the other."

So, the Roman Catholic Church is commanded by Scripture to not exceed what is written in God's word. Has it done that? Has it exceeded the limits of Scripture? Yes, it has.
:rolleyes: If only you were there with the early Church to show her the errors of her ways.

Your post is unhelpful and does nothing to solve the OP's problem. Do try to focus on the issue at hand.

Upvote 0

Ryan Reborn

Feb 6, 2018
East Wenatchee
✟15,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello sir, I would simply quote the scriptures to you. It's the best Word, is it not? I encourage you to study the surrounding passages prayerfully (pray to God for understanding from the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus Christ) for context.

"For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 timothy 2:5

“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Pray then like this:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil."
Jesus our Lord in Matthew 6

I would say that this prayer and any prayer should not be mindlessly repeated as some formula for a desired result. Jesus said worshippers of God must worship in Spirit (through the Holy Spirit) and in truth (sincerity and according to His words and Way). The Lord's prayer is not a recital, it is showing us principles to build any prayer upon.

I would end by saying you can see from the above scriptures that Jesus Himself tells us to pray straight to the Father who abides in Heaven. If we feel to pray to anyone else, it should only be to Jesus, as He is the only mediator between men and God as the other verse clearly states. I leave you with this confident verse:

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who was tempted in every way that we are, yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
Hebrews 4:16

There was only ever one High Priest for a people in the Bible and Jesus is our High Priest. Because of the access we have to God through His complete work of atonement, we can go straight to the Throne itself with our petitions as children of God! Be blessed, friends.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.