The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Christ Triumphant (Thomas Allin)

Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin

The Second Death & The Restitution Of All Things

The Restitution of All Things, Andrew Jukes

The Inescapable Love Of God Tomas Talbott)

Thomas Talbott- The Inescapable Love of God - 2nd Edition

"..so abundant was God's grace,the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it—the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. In Him we also have been made heirs, having been chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him whose might carries out in everything the design of His own will, so that we should be devoted to the extolling of His glorious attributes.."

Eternity Explained

ETERNITY EXPLAINED

The Destruction Of The Wicked

The "Destruction" of the Wicked

Roger Tutt

Hope 4 You, Roger Tutt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Indeed Very Many: Universalism in the Early Church
Doesn't matter where you find it - it is conclusively false, and often already known to be false all along by the Ekklesia taught by Yahshua (Jesus) and following Him.

Since it contradicts so much of Yahweh's Word (Scripture), there is nothing true or viable about so-called universalism in nor out of the early church nor any other false gospel group (all of which are accursed directly in the NT) .

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How? You can leave that to God, but it is clear from Scripture that Love Omnipotent uses punishments to correct people. I suggest reading the entire Old Testament & New Testament passages such as 1 Cor.5:4-5:
Was the flood corrective? Was Sodom and Gomorrah corrective? Was the destruction of the 3000 at Sinai corrective. Was the slaying of all the inhabitants of the Canaanite cities corrective?
Please show me some scripture which shows that any punishment after death is corrective? And please provide scripture which shows that unrepentant haters of God who will be punished in fire for an indeterminate period will suddenly love God and forget all about the horrible pain they have endured? Please do not continue to throw the meaningless term "Love Omnipotent" at me. Scriptural evidence please?

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: 20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.
Proverbs 23:14
Strike him with a rod, and you will deliver his soul from Sheol.
Job 5:17-18 “Behold, happy is the man whom God corrects; Therefore do not despise the chastening of the Almighty. For He bruises, but he binds up; He wounds, but His hands make whole.”
Hab.1:12 O LORD my God, my Holy One, you who are eternal--surely you do not plan to wipe us out? O LORD, our Rock, you have sent these Babylonians to correct us, to punish us for our many sins.
Because I have sinned against him, I will bear the LORD’s wrath, until he pleads my case and upholds my cause. He will bring me out into the light;I will see his righteousness. (Micah 7:9)
Isaiah 12:1
Then you will say on that day, "I will give thanks to You, O LORD; For although You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, And You comfort me.
Hosea 6:1
"Come, let us return to the LORD. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us.
Isa.57:17 “Because of the iniquity of his unjust gain I was angry and struck him;
I hid My face and was angry, And he went on turning away, in the way of his heart.
18“I have seen his ways, but I will heal him;
I will lead him and restore comfort to him and to his mourners,
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Dan.4:33 The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.
34a But at the end of that period, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him...
36 At that time my reason returned to me. And my majesty and splendor were restored to me for the glory of my kingdom, and my counselors and my nobles began seeking me out; so I was reestablished in my sovereignty, and surpassing greatness was added to me.
37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt and honor the King of heaven, for all His works are true and His ways just, and He is able to humble those who walk in pride.
When your judgments come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness." (Isa.26:9b)

1 Cor.11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

See the verses above. Once they're saved, they'll be as happy with God as anyone else whom God has saved and allowed (or caused) to suffer, whether in this life or postmortem. Such as Job & those of the verses i quoted earlier. In universalism Love Omnipotent has all eternity to save everyone. Not just a few years as in your example. So He has an infinite number of chances to offer people to get saved. Mathematically that makes it impossible anyone would reject Him forever. His love doesn't have an expiry date like a carton of milk.
Not one single verse of scripture to support this wonderful sounding cliched rhetoric. You have yet to provide scripture or any evidence of any kind that vicious criminals who are mostly, 66+%, not rehabilitated by punishment in this life, will suddenly, after being punished more terribly by God, be totally rehabilitated and love God. Endlessly repeating "Love Omnipotent, Love Omnipotent," might sound wonderful to some people but does not address, respond to or explain anything.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Realizing you have no intentions of hearing other than what you want to hear … and have left the building … these are the answers to your questions anyways:
1) are you saying people that believe in UR are rejecting Jesus' words??
A: Yes and No
Yes, in a broad sense.
Jesus taught about condemnation, hell, it's torment and that many will go there.
In that sense people that believe in UR are rejecting Jesus' words.
As it's already been mentioned in this thread, this has been an ongoing debate (not just here on CF, but all throughout the church). It's also been said it just depends on what lens you're viewing Scripture through (and not a matter of "rejecting Jesus' words" but having different interpretations).

Maybe this older thread will be useful? Does our loving God send people to hell? (but, also as it's been posted already, most likely people will not change their minds unless there's some drastic change).

More reading on responses to the question, "Did Jesus teach about hell?": Letting Go Of Hell Series Archives - The Official Blog of Benjamin L. Corey

Reactions: ClementofA
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Strawman. When there are no quotes then it didn't come from any "websites", UR or otherwise. Scripture verses sometimes excepted.
My friend: As in all things which flow from Abba, blind eyes must be healed, and deaf ears opened to hear things which cannot be uttered. You continue to be a blessing to my old life. What God has given to us as we walk in the Way, no man, no devil, no opinion, can alter. I am so glad after all these years being back to proclaim the majesty of Him whose ways are past finding out!

“I want the presence of God Himself, or I don’t want anything at all to do with religion… I want all that God has or I don’t want any.” -A.W. Tozer-

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Being an MD does not make the writer an authority on the meaning of Koine Greek words or NT Theology.

bob wilson said:

"Formal education is over rated, and the reality is that the highly educated disagree on most everything, and that I rejected most of my scholastic career’s emphasis."

How does Jesus's resurrection make people righteous?

and

"Please forgive my egotism, but despite having Fuller’s Masters and Doctorate in Biblical theology, I increasingly sense that I seem unable to grasp what your view actually is, and that its’ obscurity and unfamiliar way of handling texts may frustrate desires to promote it."

and

"Don’t be intimidated because someone has had more formal background in these languages. Folk like that can disagree about most anything. My sincere sense is that I have learned far more since seminary through my own independent study and ability to read a diversity of views without having someone telling me what the ‘right’ view is, and then testing to see if I can regurgitate it back."

• Agree
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Was the flood corrective?

Have you never heard of "death bed repentance"? For example, one of the 2 criminals on crosses beside Jesus?

Was Sodom and Gomorrah corrective? Was the destruction of the 3000 at Sinai corrective. Was the slaying of all the inhabitants of the Canaanite cities corrective?

See above re "death bed repentance". In the case of any who died instantly, evidently no one can repent that quickly. So the question then becomes, did their death send them somewhere where they are being corrected by a loving God whose mercy never ends? Or to be tortured by a sadistic monster? Or to be annihilated by an unfeeling terminator machine who couldn't give a damn?

Please show me some scripture which shows that any punishment after death is corrective?

Can you show me a single Scripture that says the mercy of Love Omnipotent does not endure forever? Can you show me a single Scripture that says the love of Compassion Almighty fails & expires like a carton of milk at the moment of death? Or does "love never fail" (1 Cor.13:8)? Please show me where Scripture ever says the Lord will cast off forever those who die unsaved? Or does it say: 31For the Lord will not cast off for ever: 32But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies. 33For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men (Lam.3:31-33)?

Can you show me a Scripture that says those who died as unsaved infants will fry forever because they weren't born again? Did Jesus not say ye must be born again to enter the Kingdom of God (John 3:3-8)? https://www.christianforums.com/thr...tims-of-infanticide-all-go-to-heaven.8037317/

Can you show me where it says the rich man in Hades was going to never be corrected & fry forever? Or were there indications he may have been turning from the "dark side" & receiving the word of God in that "hell" for his correction: Lk. 16:19-31: https://www.christianforums.com/threads/hell.8041357/page-6#post-72139130

And please provide scripture which shows that unrepentant haters of God who will be punished in fire for an indeterminate period will suddenly love God and forget all about the horrible pain they have endured?

http://www.tentmaker.org/articles/unique_proof_for_universalism.html

Do not many who've suffered horribly in this life "suddenly love God and forget all about the horrible pain they have endured"? Does God change & His ways change just because someone dies? Does death twist the arm of Love Omnipotent & change Him from being merciful into an unbelievably horrific fiend?

Please do not continue to throw the meaningless term "Love Omnipotent" at me. Scriptural evidence please?

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

• Agree
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Doesn't matter where you find it - it is conclusively false, and often already known to be false all along by the Ekklesia taught by Yahshua (Jesus) and following Him.

Since it contradicts so much of Yahweh's Word (Scripture), there is nothing true or viable about so-called universalism in nor out of the early church nor any other false gospel group (all of which are accursed directly in the NT) .

Yahshua, the Lord of glory, declares He will draw/ drag of with power/impel all mankind unto Himself! Methinks He will indeed accomplish such a feat, contrary to popular fundagelical thinking.

Rom. 5:12-21

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and, through sin, death entered into the world, and so death spread to all men, in that they had sinned; for up to the coming of the law sin was in the world, but sin was not debited against men because the law did not yet exist; but death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses even over those who had not sinned in the way that Adam had, Adam, who was the symbol of the one who was to come.

But the gift of free grace was not like the trespass. For if the many died in consequence of the sin of the one, much more the grace of God and his free gift in the grace of the one man Jesus Christ abounded to many.

The free gift is not like the effect of the one man who sinned. The sentence which followed the one sin was a sentence of condemnation; but the free gift which followed the many trespasses was a sentence of acquittal.

For if, because of the trespass of one, death reigned because of one, much more they who receive the superabundance of grace and of that free gift which establishes a right relationship between man and God, shall reign in life through the one Jesus Christ.

So, then, as by one sin it came to all men to fall under sentence, so by one supreme act of righteousness it came to men to enter into that relationship with God which gives them life.

Just as through the disobedience of one man the many were constituted sinners, so, through the obedience of one man, the many were constituted righteous. But the law slipped in that trespass might abound; but where sin abounded grace superabounded, so that just as sin reigned in death, grace might reign by putting men into a right relationship with God that they might enter into eternal life because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done."

"No passage of the New Testament has had such an influence on theology as this; and no passage is more difficult for a modern mind to understand. It is difficult because Paul expresses himself in a difficult way. We can see, for instance, that the first sentence never ends, but breaks off in mid-air, while Paul pursues another idea down a sideline. Still more, it is thinking and speaking in terms which were familiar to Jews and perfectly understandable to them, but which are unfamiliar to us.

If we were to put the thought of this passage into one sentence, which, indeed, was the sentence which Paul set out to write at the very beginning, and which got sidetracked, it would be this: "By the sin of Adam all men became sinners and were alienated from God; by the righteousness of Jesus Christ all men became righteous and are restored to a right relationship with God."

Paul, in fact, said this very much more clearly in 1 Cor. 15:21:

"As by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive." -Dr. William Barkley-

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"I will draw all mankind unto Me.

ἑλκύω [helkuo], translated as "draws" in John 6:44, never means to "woo" or to "entice", Biblically :preach: Rather, it always means to "drag", "drag off", "impel", "lead", "draw by an inward force or power", etc.

δελεάζω [deleazo] (e.g. James 1:14; 2 Peter 2:18) is the word that means to "lure", "entice" or "woo".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Universalism is an existential leap of faith into a fog where there is no knowledge of what or who is in there. It is a part of modernist theology that rejects the Bible as the foundation of Christian faith.

Codswallop

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My response to your post was just as relevant as your post.
So you can't answer that question? A person with Godly faith is more than able to answer the question because he knows Who created him, where he came from, who he was before receiving Christ as Saviour, and who he is now having passed from death to life in Christ. The issue is, on what am I basing all this on? What is the foundation? The thing is that a person who is depending on an existential leap of faith is unable to discuss this because he doesn't know on what foundation he has his faith.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Universalism is an existential leap of faith into a fog where there is no knowledge of what or who is in there. It is a part of modernist theology that rejects the Bible as the foundation of Christian faith.
You poor soul:wake up from your slumber and Christ will give you Life!

Prof. Keith DeRose The Really Good News

Universalism and the Bible – Keith DeRose

"..so abundant was God's grace,the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it—the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. In Him we also have been made heirs, having been chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him whose might carries out in everything the design of His own will, so that we should be devoted to the extolling of His glorious attributes.."

• Winner
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My definition of universalism might be different. I believe that it involves everyone being ultimately saved, including those who reject Christ. I know that Christ died for the whole world, but that was conditional in that each individual had to make their own choice to receive or reject Him. Receiving Him brought the reward of eternal life, and rejecting Him brought another price to pay which includes judgment and eternal separation from the grace and glory of God. Therefore, in my view, the universal aspect is the invitation to all mankind to accept the offer of salvation that is offered through Christ. If that is what universalism is in your definition, then I wholeheartedly agree.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My definition of universalism might be different. I believe that it involves everyone being ultimately saved, including those who reject Christ. I know that Christ died for the whole world, but that was conditional in that each individual had to make their own choice to receive or reject Him. Receiving Him brought the reward of eternal life, and rejecting Him brought another price to pay which includes judgment and eternal separation from the grace and glory of God. Therefore, in my view, the universal aspect is the invitation to all mankind to accept the offer of salvation that is offered through Christ. If that is what universalism is in your definition, then I wholeheartedly agree.

My friend from down under: No man comes to Christ unless he is drawn/ dragged/impelled. The choice in timing is exclusively in His will and His good pleasure. In the finality of things; what has begun in God, ends in God>>>>>"From Him the all comes, through Him the all exists, and in Him the all ends..." Yes, He is the Source, the Guide & the Goal of the ta pante!

Your statement today=

"Therefore, in my view, the universal aspect is the invitation to all mankind to accept the offer of salvation that is offered through Christ."

The statement of the Christ=

"You did not choose Me, I chose you"

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Prof. Keith DeRose The Really Good News

Universalism and the Bible – Keith DeRose

The Purpose of God By Vladimir Gelesnoff

In PAUL'S letters repeated reference is made to God's "purpose" (Rom.8:28; 9:11; Eph.1:11; 3:11; 2 Tim.1:9). In all these scriptures the word is prothesis. Its force may be gathered from the fact that the twelve loaves which were placed on the Tabernacle table before the Lord are styled "loaves of purpose" (Matt.12:4; Mark 2:26; Luke 6:14; Heb.9:2).

Hence the scriptures which speak of God's prothesis tell us that He has set before Himself a definite aim or object which He is bent on achieving.

In Eph.3:11, occurs the phrase, "according to the purpose of the eons which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord."

The Purpose Of God, by Vladimir Gelesnoff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
As it's already been mentioned in this thread, this has been an ongoing debate (not just here on CF, but all throughout the church). It's also been said it just depends on what lens you're viewing Scripture through (and not a matter of "rejecting Jesus' words" but having different interpretations).

Maybe this older thread will be useful? Does our loving God send people to hell? (but, also as it's been posted already, most likely people will not change their minds unless there's some drastic change).

More reading on responses to the question, "Did Jesus teach about hell?": Letting Go Of Hell Series Archives - The Official Blog of Benjamin L. Corey
The simple answer is yes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.