• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured The question continuationists must answer

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by W2L, Dec 4, 2018.

1. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,136
    Christian
    Private
    Do you believe anyone who claims to be an apostle, or do you have a way of knowing which ones are true and which ones are false?

2. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,136
    Christian
    Private
    Thats my point exactly.

3. YeshuaFan

YeshuaFan Well-Known Member

+749
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    The Apostles themselves were given the so called sign gifts, so if today, have to be modrn day Apostles, and since John was the last one to be living....

4. YeshuaFan

YeshuaFan Well-Known Member

+749
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    This is why much safer to stay with the known real, Apostolic doctrines found in the inspired scriptures, as we know those were of God!

5. ilovejcsog

ilovejcsog The way....

+280
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    What do you have to support your theory that there are active apostles now? The only one that I know that said he is an apostle is Fred Price and saying it doesn't make it so. There are many things in those times that were that aren't now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Hillsage

Hillsage One for Him and Him for all Supporter

+903
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Bingo, and God is still in the process of restoring truth to 'His church' which was lost "in those times" when the apostate church took religion into, not only the spiritual dark ages, but also the physical dark ages. Because, when you loose in the spiritual realm you will also see a manifestation in the physical realm....if you have the spiritual eyes to see, that is.

7. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve

+1,370
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And in between... what?

8. juvenissun

juvenissun ... and God saw that it was good.

+767
    Baptist
    Married
    It is not helpful to make general statement or question like this. You should be specific on WHAT IS THE CONTROVERSY. This should be discussed case by case.

9. ilovejcsog

ilovejcsog The way....

+280
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I am sure you didn't say that last sentence as an insult to those who disagree with you.

10. Hillsage

+903
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    No I did not. I do believe it to be a statement of fact though. I myself have been surprised to hear from those whose eyes were spiritually sharper than mine. But I did feel my spirit bore a confirming witness to the truths of which they spoke of.

11. Hillsage

+903
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    I can give an answer to that question Steve. :clap::clap: It was pointed out to me, by a 'former' Dallas theological professor', that 'their theology' definitely confirms they believe in the supernatural power of the early church. And they even agree to the spiritual return of such powers in the very end. But unfortunately God left most of US in the big fat 'IN BETWEEN'....with a powerless book. :sigh:

12. Saint Steven

+1,370
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That reminded me of this gem.

1 Corinthians 2:4-6
    My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. 6 We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

13. Saint Steven

+1,370
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It is not the job of the apostles to distribute gifts (manifestations) of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:11
    All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

14. Saint Steven

+1,370
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Curious as to why a Baptist would have a Taoist avatar.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Hillsage

+903
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    That doesn't work for them though. Like I said, this scripture you quote, only speaks of a 'history past' power, to them.

16. Saint Steven

+1,370
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I suppose that is correct, as crazy as that seems.

They would have to believe that their faith rests on human wisdom, not on God's "discontinued" power. That their wise and persuasive words ("doctrinal correctness") somehow saves them.

1 Corinthians 2:4-6
    My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. 6 We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  17. Saint Steven

+1,370
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Few today would be so bold as to self-proclaim themselves as apostles.
    But consider the definition. The definition of apostle (from the Greek apostolos) is "one who is sent" or "one commissioned.".

Romans 10:14-15
    How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the basis of the definition, I believe that every Preacher, Pastor, Evangelist, Missionary, and even the rest of us, are apostles on some level.

Mark 16:15
    He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Matthew 10:16
    I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Luke 10:3
    Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.

John 20:21
    Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  18. juvenissun

juvenissun ... and God saw that it was good.

+767
    Baptist
    Married
    It is a God's revelation. It is the best human can express.

19. Saint Steven

+1,370
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Curious as to what that means. Can you explain? Thanks.

20. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,136
    Christian
    Private
    Im still waiting to hear the answer to this one as well.