Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Curious as to what that means. Can you explain? Thanks.

That is the symbol of Daoism (Taoism). Just like the cross to Christianity. So the meaning is very rich.

It suggests the origin of the known world, and the processes by that it works.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is the symbol of Daoism (Taoism). Just like the cross to Christianity. So the meaning is very rich.

It suggests the origin of the known world, and the processes by that it works.
The Bible suggests the "origin of the known world" as well. Which narrative do you believe?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible suggests the "origin of the known world" as well. Which narrative do you believe?

That is the problem with Daoism. the Bible explicitly says it. The Daoism only describes it, but has no mention about the origin. However, the idea of Daoism matched what the Bible says pretty well. I like the dynamic nature which is expressed very well by the logo.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Im still waiting to hear the answer to this one as well.
Hillsage said:
I declare you to be the expert for what you just said. Unfortunately, without scriptural support, you've only proven to me that you 'just don't know what you're talking about.' :(
IOW NO!, you don't have any scripture to back what you said.

W2L said:
Im still waiting to hear the answer to this one as well.

Do you believe anyone who claims to be an apostle, or do you have a way of knowing which ones are true and which ones are false?
Again, you have given NO SCRIPTURAL "claims" saying there aren't apostles. And yes I believe there are. And NO they don't meet your UNSCRIPTURAL demands for for them. They do meet what Steven posted....with no rebuttal from you. So we're still stuck with you throwing out your UNSCRIPTURAL DEMANDS for your 'opinion based posts'. Posts which have proven again, there is no merit in answering.

:wave::wave::wave::wave:

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is the problem with Daoism. the Bible explicitly says it. The Daoism only describes it, but has no mention about the origin. However, the idea of Daoism matched what the Bible says pretty well. I like the dynamic nature which is expressed very well by the logo.
But doesn't Taoism deny the existence of God? According to Taoism, the key to life is living in harmony with Tao. Tao = the Way of nature. Taoists don't believe that God created the universe, do they? Not sure how this can be in harmony with the Bible. Maybe you can explain.

• Agree
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IOW NO!, you don't have any scripture to back what you said.

Again, you have given NO SCRIPTURAL "claims" saying there aren't apostles. And yes I believe there are. And NO they don't meet your UNSCRIPTURAL demands for for them. They do meet what Steven posted....with no rebuttal from you. So we're still stuck with you throwing out your UNSCRIPTURAL DEMANDS for your 'opinion based posts'. Posts which have proven again, there is no merit in answering.

:wave::wave::wave::wave:
I have scripture. The bible mentions signs of an apostle. That's how you know true apostles from fake ones.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But doesn't Taoism deny the existence of God? According to Taoism, the key to life is living in harmony with Tao. Tao = the Way of nature. Taoists don't believe that God created the universe, do they? Not sure how this can be in harmony with the Bible. Maybe you can explain.

Dao does NOT deny God. Dao has God, only they do not know who He is.
Dao describes God's creations without looking at the God face to face.
That is why I think Dao is good, but not good enough.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Dao does NOT deny God. Dao has God, only they do not know who He is.
Dao describes God's creations without looking at the God face to face.
That is why I think Dao is good, but not good enough.
I used to hunt with a couple of brothers who never went to their Catholic church during 'the season'. I used to talk to them about their 'true religion'. To which they gave a 'commonly heard' comeback; We just worship in the cathedral outside during the season. I told them I hunted with them long enough to feel they were worshiping the 'creation' and not the 'creator'. Not long after, they both surprised me when they quit going to the Catholic church and started coming to the one I went to.

You say Taoism has a God, which is not true. It has many gods....in creation and "world's processes" as I think you said earlier. But I think the point I made above fits better as to the 'WHAT' that is being worshiped in Daoism and it's not the 'WHO'. IOW, the 'creation of God'....and not the 'God of creation'. That subtle difference is what motivates me to shy away from what is a 'cool symbol', when it comes to 'looks'. But when it comes to 'origin'....not so cool IMO.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You say Taoism has a God, which is not true. It has many gods....in creation and "world's processes" as I think you said earlier. But I think the point I made above fits better as to the 'WHAT' that is being worshiped in Daoism and it's not the 'WHO'. IOW, the 'creation of God'....and not the 'God of creation'. That subtle difference is what motivates me to shy away from what is a 'cool symbol', when it comes to 'looks'. But when it comes to 'origin'....not so cool IMO.

Just like the Buddhism, Taoism did not have "many gods" from the beginning. At the beginning, it had no God. Many gods were added to the religion at later time as it evolved. After Daoism got some gods, the Dao version of creation also appeared. This god created this and that god created that, etc. (serious theological problems also showed up because of that). Nevertheless, the original theme of Daoism is still preserved from the beginning regardless many noises added to it at later time.

I like Daoism, just as I also like Buddhism. They represent what human wisdom can figure out. This wisdom is given by the Creator God. They do not, and never will solve the basic religious problems that Christianity answered so beautifully (beyond human wisdom). However, some of their theology do echo, or even elaborate some of the Christian doctrines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not loaded and lied when you said you answered my question
Both yo>u and hillsage refuse to answer my questions because it supports my argument
That doesn't make them liars and you should think twice before using that word on anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just like the Buddhism, Taoism did not have "many gods" from the beginning. At the beginning, it had no God. Many gods were added to the religion at later time as it evolved. After Daoism got some gods, the Dao version of creation also appeared. This god created this and that god created that, etc. (serious theological problems also showed up because of that). Nevertheless, the original theme of Daoism is still preserved from the beginning regardless many noises added to it at later time.

I like Daoism, just as I also like Buddhism. They represent what human wisdom can figure out. This wisdom is given by the Creator God. They do not, and never will solve the basic religious problems that Christianity answered so beautifully (beyond human wisdom). However, some of their theology do echo, or even elaborate some of the Christian doctrines.
I appreciate your explanation. Seems curious for a Baptist to me. I'll guess I leave your take on it in the GREY since do believe I see plenty of that in Chrisitianity. But as to your signature line, I honestly don't see how you can say the taijitu doesn't fully express the BLACK and WHITE as part of its very premise in Taoism/Daoism.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But as to your signature line, I honestly don't see how you can say the taijitu doesn't fully express the BLACK and WHITE as part of its very premise in Taoism/Daoism.

Very simple, the Black and White are two, not one.
Dao also confessed, the Two derived from One. But it never described what does that One looks like. Daoism just left it blank.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,223,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
Thread cleaned due to ongoing flaming and goading. If it continues this thread will be locked.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.