The Protestant Reformation and the Orthodox Christian East - Fr. Panayiotis Papageorgiou, Ph.D.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Protestant Reformation and the Orthodox Christian East by Fr. Panayiotis Papageorgiou, Ph.D. was the topic on Fr. Barnabus Powell's podcast (Faith Encouraged) last night.
Fr. Panayiotis presented the paper in Germany on the Occasion of the 500-Year Anniversary of the Reformation.
It's a Historical Survey and Study of the Communications between the Reformers
and the Patriarchs Joasaph II and Jeremias II.

It's available on the Faith Encouraged link.
You can hear the discussion and caller questions here: Faith Encouraged Live.

Just sharing something I found interesting. :)

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Protestant Reformation and the Orthodox Christian East by Fr. Panayiotis Papageorgiou, Ph.D. was the topic on Fr. Barnabus Powell's podcast (Faith Encouraged) last night.
Fr. Panayiotis presented the paper in Germany on the Occasion of the 500-Year Anniversary of the Reformation.

Loved the entire presentation laid out and thankful for others seeing the nuances within history that are not well understood by many. Blessings :)

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

One of the things I think we have to remember is that Luther was very much different than others. And it makes a difference realizing that it was Calvin and Zwingli, and not so much Luther that unfortunately, started all the craziness with attacking non-Protestant churches (and later attacking the Anabaptist), but these two and others to follow, basically made up their own versions of Christianity. It was HIGHLY deplorable what those individuals did. Zwingli even went to war against Luther when he felt Luther didn't go far enough in his views with the Reformation..

Scriptures were heavily guarded and the ideas behind icons/images began to shift dramatically during the era of the Reformation. It was, according to Georg Kretschmar, Calvin who "built up the most precise and radical position opposed to the icon theology of the 787 Council of Nicea” - for Calvin seems to have assumed that in both the Old and New Testament worship of God was totally devoid of images:

“What punishments do the prophets, apostles, martyrs, deserve, in whose days no images existed?” (Institutes 1.11.16).

When one understands the radical shift in thinking that occurred in the Protestant Reformation
, it can be easier to see why they allowed for such drastic iconoclasm to occur in the same manner as certain radical Muslims are doing today and have done with sacred places (more shared in Clearing the Way for Reformed-Orthodox Dialogue on Icons | Orthodox-Reformed Bridge.

As Dr.Philip Jenkins notes in THE BREAKING OF IMAGES , commenting iconoclasm as central to the Reformation:

For anyone living at the time, including educated elites, the iconoclasm was not just an incidental breakdown of law and order, it was the core of the whole movement, the necessary other side of the coin to the growth of literacy. Those visual and symbolic representations of the Christian story had to decrease, in order for the world of the published Bible to increase.

In terms of the lived experience of people at the time, the image-breaking is the key component of the Reformation. In the rioting and mayhem, a millennium-old religious order was visibly and comprehensively smashed./... Modern Westerners are rightly appalled by such acts as desecrations of humanity's cultural heritage. But such outrage demonstrates a near-total lack of awareness of the West's own history. Nothing that the Islamists have done in this regard would cause the sixteenth century Protestant Reformers to lose a moment's sleep. They would probably have asked to borrow hammers and axes so they could join in.

Wahhabism, the extreme sect of Sunni Islam that is the state religion of Saudi Arabia, and the creed espoused by many contemporary Islamic radicals, has accomplished exactly what Protestant radicals also did. The ways many of the followers of Calvin and Zwingli went about burning down monasteries/Catholic parishes in the name of what Luther did was truly sad - and ironic when seeing that many of the followers of Calvin and Luther did exactly what many Protestants claim only Catholics did when it came to using state power to persecute others.

Although it is a bit sad to see what happened with Luther in his attempts to address what were abuses in the church, I do wonder if things would have turned out differently if the East was involved. There was access to the East that Luther had in some dialogues with others....but he didn't seem to value what the East had to offer enough to take significant action on it in practice (even though he never condemned the Orthodox in his writings). Even with others who seemed to have similarities with the East when it came to people within the Church who were against Calvin/Zwingli (as Erasmus did as an advocate for reform within the Catholic system/addressing the abuses without being extreme in condemning things that Calvin/Zwingli did later ), he often turned against his own supporters. ...and even things Catholics agreed with the Eastern Orthodox on would not be supported.

And when seeing the issue of the Renaissance that others were involved in and how Luther didn't support that due to his views of man being a sinner rather than having glorious things within them to be examined, it seems possible that he would have perhaps gone to war with the East since they have a fundamental difference in how they view man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
..Calvin and Zwingli ..these two and others to follow, basically made up their own versions of Christianity..
This was the realization I came to when I began my journey toward Orthodoxy. My grandfather was a five-point Calvinist, Baptist preacher. I was in the same Sunday School class as Al Mohler for a couple of years (Atlanta late 80s).. the more I studied scriptures alongside history, the more disillusioned with Christianity I became, as a whole.
Then I went to a Greek festival at an Orthodox parish and picked up a few brochures in the Narthex..

Simple reason would support a strong possibility that if you take letters written to a group - then divorce those writings from all context and established philosophy at the place/setting in which they are written - then create a systematic study of merely the letters - the result will be a radically different story containing only the same set of characters.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I finally got around to listening to this. It was interesting to an extent, but there is a lot of misconceptions about Lutheranism in here. As Gxg pointed out, we are much more conservative than Calvin and Zwingli's followers who rejected tradition entirely. Lutherans still preserve and teach Theotokos and Semper Virgo, we use icons and imagery, we don't object to prayers for the dead (although proper Lutheranism does reject prayers to the dead), etc.

That being said, I do always enjoy listening to Orthodox talks and discussions. Like Fr Panayiotis said at the end, many of us in the US don't know any Orthodox. I've never been to an EO liturgy (or vespers, orthros, etc.) and I only know a handful of EO people. Y'all are a rare group in the american landscape, but one in which all Christians can learn a lot.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I finally got around to listening to this. It was interesting to an extent, but there is a lot of misconceptions about Lutheranism in here. As Gxg pointed out, we are much more conservative than Calvin and Zwingli's followers who rejected tradition entirely. Lutherans still preserve and teach Theotokos and Semper Virgo, we use icons and imagery, we don't object to prayers for the dead (although proper Lutheranism does reject prayers to the dead), etc.

That being said, I do always enjoy listening to Orthodox talks and discussions. Like Fr Panayiotis said at the end, many of us in the US don't know any Orthodox. I've never been to an EO liturgy (or vespers, orthros, etc.) and I only know a handful of EO people. Y'all are a rare group in the american landscape, but one in which all Christians can learn a lot.
Historically, what's funny is that Luther was distinct from the other two Reformers noted and yet he still was similar to them in many other ways. Specifically, he still looked to state power/government to enforce views on various things just as the others did.

Recently learned today on one of the lesser known Reformers that went further than both of them - and is often overlooked. His name is Petr Chelčický’...and if you ever have the chance to study the Bohemian Reformation (also known as t), it makes a world of difference. This is especially important when considering how it preceded the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century, during the late medieval and early modern Kingdom and Crown of Bohemia, and sought significant reform within Roman Catholicism. Additionally, it is significant to consider how Peter Chelčický was the earliest writer of the Reformation to promote nonresistance, predating Erasmus of Rotterdam and Menno Simons by 100 years (in addition to being significant in the founding of the Moravian Church).

As another noted best:

Bohemian Reformation and Constantinople had a lot in common - and it's unfortunate that history is not well known, if remembering the high-level contact between the Utraquists and the Eastern Orthodox leadership that was mediated at Constantinople in 1452 by priest Constantine Anglikos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This was the realization I came to when I began my journey toward Orthodoxy. My grandfather was a five-point Calvinist, Baptist preacher. I was in the same Sunday School class as Al Mohler for a couple of years (Atlanta late 80s).. the more I studied scriptures alongside history, the more disillusioned with Christianity I became, as a whole.
Then I went to a Greek festival at an Orthodox parish and picked up a few brochures in the Narthex..
More than understand, as I've seen similar on my side a number of times - and now, talking with Reformed brothers/sisters, it's interesting how common the battles are for so many when realizing consistency with the Scriptural witness is found much further back than the Reformation era.
Simple reason would support a strong possibility that if you take letters written to a group - then divorce those writings from all context and established philosophy at the place/setting in which they are written - then create a systematic study of merely the letters - the result will be a radically different story containing only the same set of characters.
Good points...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Not certain if you knew. But there was a recent article that came out "Honor the Reformation's African roots - The Commercial Appeal

For an excerpt:

"The revelation that Ethiopian Christianity possibly had links to Protestant Reformation is a game-changer for what is generally thought to be an exclusively European phenomenon. The admission that this cross-cultural global exchange between Africa and Europe shaped early Protestantism disrupts the narrative that the Reformation was solely the product of western civilization. By recognizing the contribution of Ethiopian Christianity to the Protestant Reformation, we can join Luther in acknowledging Ethiopian Christianity as a forerunner of the Protestant Reformation."

It was mentioned in the article where Luther met with an Ethiopian deacon in 1534. For more, one can go to "“A Person’s Informal Confession of Faith Must Also Be Considered”: Reflections on the Use of Pastoral Discretion in the Administration of Holy Communion, with Special Reference to the Practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod " ( http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/djw/WebberPastoralDiscretion.pdf ).

More specifically, In a 1538 Table Talk remark, Luther recalled Deacon Michael (of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church) visit to Electoral Saxony:

-“Three [sic] years ago there was an Ethiopian monk with us here, with whom we had discussions through an interpreter, and, having finished with all our articles, he said: ‘This is a good creed, that is, faith.’”..
- Martin Luther, Table Talk #4126 (Nov. 17, 1538) (translated by Mark DeGarmeaux).

Apparently, Luther was confident enough in his understanding of Deacon Michael’s confession of faith, and in Deacon Michael’s comprehension of what the Lutherans were teaching – with which he expressed full agreement – to write this letter of recommendation, also in 1534, to any Lutheran pastor to whom the Ethiopian visitor might present himself since the Ethiopian himself was away from home

For further reference:

-"There has been with us in Germany, the Reverend Michael the Ethiopian, a Deacon. Conversing privately with him concerning Christian doctrine, we have heard that he properly agrees with the Symbol which the Western Church holds, and that he does not think differently about the Trinity than what the Western Church thinks. Therefore we commend him to good people as much as we surely can. For, although the Eastern Church has several dissimilar ceremonies, he judges that their dissimilarity does not nullify the unity of the church and does not militate against the faith, since the kingdom of Christ is the spiritual righteousness of the heart, the fear of God, and confidence through Christ. We also think this opinion is right. We have also learned from him, that the rite which we observe in the use of administration of the Lord’s Supper and the Mass, agrees with the Eastern Church. We wish, moreover, that all peoples would acknowledge and glorify Christ, and would submit to Him with true confidence in His mercy and with love for one’s neighbor. For this reason we ask that good people would demonstrate Christian love also to this visitor."

- Martin Luther, Letter of Introduction for Deacon Michael the Ethiopian (July 7, 1534) (translated by Donald D. Schoewe; translation revised by Mark DeGarmeaux).

Upvote 0