The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The particular protopaschites that Epiphanius discusses are the Audians (Panarion 6.70). John Chrysostom calls the protopaschites "those who wish to keep the first paschal fast". (Homily 3 Adversus Iudaeos.) The homily of 387 mentions them under the heading of "Novatians":
Thank you, that is super-helpful. I have the Panarion so I can look up the Audians directly.

Concerning Novatians, they are chiefly known for refusing to forgive clergy or laity who capitulated rather than endure torture or martyrdom during the Diocletian Persecution and the other persecutions of the 3rd century Church.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe stopping fasting on the 14th was a reason too.
Well not so much the 14th but ensuring reduced fasting on Annunciation and during weekends in Lent.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
They aren't strictly included in Lent. The 40 days fast is 8 weeks of monday to friday.
I think I read the post wrong. I thought he said ensuring fasting on weekends. Yes no fasting on the Sabbath :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa
✟17,994.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
At the time of Nicaea, the rationale in support of Quartodecimianism had been compromised by changes to the way the Jewish calendar is calculated. Also it is untrue that the majority of Eastern churches were Quartodecimian, and the attempt to cast this as a Rome vs. Eastern Orthodox is historically anachronisitic.
The controversy at Nicea was not about quartodecimanism. Instead, it was between two schools of Sunday observance: "Jewish calendarists" who wanted to set the Easter festival to the Sunday in the week of Unleavened Bread as calculated by the Jewish calendar, even if that meant that the festival would fall before the equinox; and "Independent calendarists" who wanted to set the festival to the Sunday in the week of Unleavened Bread as calculated independently by Christians so that it would always fall after the equinox. The "Independent calendarists" carried the day, and the holdout Jewish calendarists came eventually to be called Protopaschites.

How many synods of Greek Old Calendarists are there?

Upvote 0

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
✟17,994.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
My understanding is that these leap seconds are actually in a sense now being applied to the Julian, in that the Julian calendar is increasingly defined as a fixed offset from the Gregorian to prevent problems like Sunday drifting to Monday.
Where do you get this notion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
✟17,994.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
So interestingly enough, the Gregorian Calendar’s innovation is only temporary, in that the Earth’s rotation is slowing and over the course of a few hundred thousand years, give or take an order of magnitude or two
If the rotation of the earth slows and the period of its revolution stays the same in atomic clock seconds, then the number of mean solar days in a tropical year will decrease, not increase, until finally, it will be always day on one side of the earth and always night on the other side.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If the rotation of the earth slows and the period of its revolution stays the same in atomic clock seconds, then the number of mean solar days in a tropical year will decrease, not increase, until finally, it will be always day on one side of the earth and always night on the other side.
Not likely to happen any time soon, even in millions of years. For the mean time a leap second adjustment keeps atomic years and solar years the same. I suppose we could get to the point where a day is longer than a year, as in the case of Mercury, but that will be a while before we have to worry about that. How would the Sabbath keepers figure THAT out?

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0