The Prophet Elijah returning is through John the Baptist?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Satan argued for the body of Moses and a holy angel said "may the Lord correct you". Moses' bodily appearance with Elijah at the Transfiguration confirms that Satan was corrected by the Lord.
Michael "the Archangel" specifically (Jude 1:9)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I thought that was the one.:). Thank you Neogaia777.
Michael is also spoken of in Revelation as being the one leading the Holy angels into war and battle with Satan and his angels in the war that breaks out in heaven...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree he didnt pierce the veil but Elijah appeared bodily on the mountain of Christ's Transfiguration.

Appeared in glory scripture is not clear about bodily form, so I would keep an open mind about that.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Appeared in glory. How do you conclude that?

Because that is what scripture says.

Luke 9:28–31 (NRSV): Now about eight days after these sayings Jesus took with him Peter and John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray. 29 And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white. 30 Suddenly they saw two men, Moses and Elijah, talking to him. 31 They appeared in glory and were speaking of his departure, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture is clear that Elijah's body and soul didn't part. He didn't experience death right? To see Elijah is to see him body and soul even now isn't it? Appeared in glory makes that possibly not true? I'm not understanding that.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Appeared in glory. How do you conclude that?
Probably the same body of a glorified form and kind that Jesus had when he appeared to people after he had died... That was glowing and shining, and could pass through walls and doors, ect...

Some say maybe even Adam and Eve had before they were kicked out of the Garden maybe...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I believe that while Elijah was caught away bodily in the OT, a case can be made that he wasn't taken to Heaven, and that Elijah actually later succumbed to physical death.

This is an interesting point that appears to be borne out by scripture. I must say, in the many years I have served Christ I have not heard this, nor have I questioned the Sunday school stories told of him being caught into heaven. It was kind of irrelevant to my own walk with God.

Perhaps the explanation given is a reasonable one for objections given concerning John the Baptist and therefore very helpful if you need it.

I must say I have read the scriptures so many times I wonder that I have not seen it, but then, I wasn't looking for it for it matters little to me whether he was taken to heaven or a secret place and the Book of Kings appears to dwell on the strength of the anointing on Elisha from that point [appearing like a "double anointing" as Elisha requested] and kings names are not mentioned.

Thanks bro. May it help those who are doubtful. I see nothing to change what is believed, just a knowing of truth.

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Thanks bro. May it help those who are doubtful. I see nothing to change what is believed, just a knowing of truth.

So, I did a bit of research after my busy day of work concerning this claim the Elijah did not ascend to heaven and later died and discovered that the argument is not quite so cut and dried. In particular I spoke with a dear old saint who studied the Old Testament prophets because her grandson asked if they could do such a study for Sunday School. He was her only Sunday School student in a small country church and a brilliant and studious young man desiring to know all he could about God and the Bible.

I put the stated case to her and she immediately said no, that is not how she remembered or understood it. She did have notes, but not at her fingertips, so she fetched one of her main research tools [Fawcet's Bible Dictionary]; her Bible with references of scriptures relating to Elijah, and pulled out her husband's copy of Josephus [which she had not originally referred to but, since I mentioned the referral to it, thought best to see what he said and perhaps, why].

Understand that this is a confusing period of Israel's history to me because Ahab and Jehosaphat appear to have a close relationship and both named sons Jehoram who became kings in their own time, though at least one appears to be referred to as Joram on occasion.

Its a bit hard for me to remember everything I read but Fawcett explains the events in this way. Elijah knew Jehosaphat's son Jehoram who co-ruled with his father for a time [Elijah would have had an interest in the young man because of his relationship to Ahab(my understanding of what I read)] and Jehoram's tendency to evil. He wrote the letter before being taken up in the chariot [this is important because the Scripture says he was taken up into heaven and indicates that he was not "dropped somewhere"] and it was passed on afterwards when Jehoram's evil deeds were established. Fawcett indicates that the wording of the prophecy is more in the form of Elijah than Elisha.

Fiona, Daniel's grandmother, concludes that this is a very reasonable explanation as Elijah informed Elisha of all the things he must complete after Elijah was gone. She expects that the letter was passed on to Elisha and he presented it to Jehoram at the appointed time. I pointed out that it might not have been Elisha who passed on the letter because we know [from the scriptures] that Elisha was inclined to send others to do tasks he did not feel needed his personal attention. She agreed that this was likely the case.

Also, with regards to this letter, Josephus states: "For he was yet upon the earth". (Antiquities of the Jews 9, 5:2)

Opening the copy we had to hand of the works of Josephus [published by Nelson] we did not discover this in the main body of the translation but in a footnote explaining it appears in some copies of manuscripts. I am not a textual critic but it appears this needs further examination.

As I have said, I do not see how this changes much since we know that Moses died, yet God took his body for reasons known only to him [though may be seen in prophecy and revelation]. However such claims may shake the faith of the weak and so must be examined.

Upvote 0