Was John The Baptist Able To Circumcise Hearts?

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
All ideas are welcome. All Faiths are encouraged to participate. What is not accepted is fighting, bickering, and arguing. Christians do not do that . . . at all.

Let’s go!

Some interesting things were said about John. Such as he arrived with the spirit and POWER of Elijah. John would cause the hearts of fathers to their sons and the hearts of their sons to their fathers. It was said that John would prepare the way for Jesus. Those who received the Baptism of John recognized Christ as, at a minimum, their Earthly king. Those who rejected John’s Baptism did not believe. Jesus said it Himself that no human is greater than His cousin, John the Baptist. Jesus also positioned the question of whether or not John’s Baptism was from Heaven, or if it was just from this world.

Based upon the imagery and language applied to John and his water Baptism, it seems that quite a load and heavy responsibility was placed upon his shoulders to reach tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Jews (and perhaps a few Gentiles), before Jesus’s death.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All ideas are welcome. All Faiths are encouraged to participate. What is not accepted is fighting, bickering, and arguing. Christians do not do that . . . at all.

Let’s go!

Some interesting things were said about John. Such as he arrived with the spirit and POWER of Elijah. John would cause the hearts of fathers to their sons and the hearts of their sons to their fathers. It was said that John would prepare the way for Jesus. Those who received the Baptism of John recognized Christ as, at a minimum, their Earthly king. Those who rejected John’s Baptism did not believe. Jesus said it Himself that no human is greater than His cousin, John the Baptist. Jesus also positioned the question of whether or not John’s Baptism was from Heaven, or if it was just from this world.

Based upon the imagery and language applied to John and his water Baptism, it seems that quite a load and heavy responsibility was placed upon his shoulders to reach tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Jews (and perhaps a few Gentiles), before Jesus’s death.
He reached a lot of people but even Jesus said in John 14 that the works HE did - were not His own - but were God the Father working and speaking in Him. Same for John - it is not "the man" John but God the Holy Spirit that convicted hearts and caused the New Birth.

Reactions: Oneofhope
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
He reached a lot of people but even Jesus said in John 14 that the works HE did - were not His own - but were God the Father working and speaking in Him. Same for John - it is not "the man" John but God the Holy Spirit that convicted hearts and caused the New Birth.
Nice. Thank you for sharing.

Do you think that John was given this Power to release people, namely the Jews, from their spiritual relationship with Satan, their Father? Jesus gave Power to His disciples such Power where even the evil spirits obeyed them. This, of course, is symbolic to Spiritual Circumcision.

What do you think? Did John have the ability to release people from the captivity of Satan, so that when the Jews saw Christ . . . THIS TIME, they recognized Him. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Ultimately no one else can force anyone else to do anything, but some can show them the door much, much better than some others can, and can also much, much more strongly motivate them to walk through it.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Ultimately no one else can force anyone else to do anything, but some can show them the door much, much better than some others can, and can also much, much more strongly motivate them to walk through it.

God Bless.
Hi there!

Why do you think that John was more motivating than the Law of Moses, or their recollection of tremendous miracles that should cause any awakened person to shudder? The entire problem of the Jews was that they could understand, for the Lord had placed Israel into a "deep sleep." So why was John able to reach the Jews at this particular time? This Power that John was given, was it the Power necessary to take people out of this Spiritual Sleep?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi there!

Why do you think that John was more motivating than the Law of Moses, or their recollection of tremendous miracles that should cause any awakened person to shudder? The entire problem of the Jews was that they could understand, for the Lord had placed Israel into a "deep sleep." So why was John able to reach the Jews at this particular time? This Power that John was given, was it the Power necessary to take people out of this Spiritual Sleep?
John paved the way for Jesus Christ by teaching baptism as a gesture of being born again, and/or repentance from sins, etc.

And his preaching was probably pretty powerful because God the Holy Spirit was in him and was with him, but was in him/with him at a later or more advanced time or date than God the Spirit ever was in the OT when the Law of Moses was originally created by Him, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi there!

History passes, and people forget about miracles, etc.

Which might have been one of the things that God the Holy Spirit was learning, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Let’s go!

I understand John's responsibility. But what do you mean about him being able to "circumcise hearts?" That makes no sense to me. Circumcising hearts sounds like something only God can do.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
History passes, and people forget about miracles, etc.

Which might have been one of the things that God the Holy Spirit was learning, etc.

God Bless.
The Blessed Jews were unable to respond because God placed them into a deep sleep. Paul clarifies that, as he quotes Isaiah, this Spiritual sleep doesn't apply just to Jewish leadership, but the whole Nation.

Romans 11:7-8 NLT - "So this is the situation: Most of the people of Israel have not found the favor of God they are looking for so earnestly. A few have--the ones God has chosen--but the hearts of the rest were hardened. 8 As the Scriptures say, "God has put them into a deep sleep. To this day he has shut their eyes so they do not see, and closed their ears so they do not hear."

Against their sense of "free will," God placed the Israelite into this sleep so that they could not respond. In fact, the entire concept of Moses and his Veil deal specifically with this issue. But if we're familiar with Paul's writings, we will know that the Saving Plan of Christ has been kept hidden from the beginning, hence, it is our duty to discover that hidden, Mysterious Plan, and get it figured out.

What a Story!

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I understand John's responsibility. But what do you mean about him being able to "circumcise hearts?" That makes no sense to me. Circumcising hearts sounds like something only God can do.
Hello sir,

What do I mean about Circumcised hearts? Well, I'm not sure how to answer that. I would have to ask in return this question: Are you familiar with the Covenant of Circumcision? I ask because it is the very backbone of the entire Bible. This would be the best place to start in terms of answering your question and can go from there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Blessed Jews were unable to respond because God placed them into a deep sleep. Paul clarifies that, as he quotes Isaiah, this Spiritual sleep doesn't apply just to Jewish leadership, but the whole Nation.

Romans 11:7-8 NLT - "So this is the situation: Most of the people of Israel have not found the favor of God they are looking for so earnestly. A few have--the ones God has chosen--but the hearts of the rest were hardened. 8 As the Scriptures say, "God has put them into a deep sleep. To this day he has shut their eyes so they do not see, and closed their ears so they do not hear."

Against their sense of "free will," God placed the Israelite into this sleep so that they could not respond. In fact, the entire concept of Moses and his Veil deal specifically with this issue. But if we're familiar with Paul's writings, we will know that the Saving Plan of Christ has been kept hidden from the beginning, hence, it is our duty to discover that hidden, Mysterious Plan, and get it figured out.

What a Story!
I think a clue to the rest of that plan for the Jews or for Israel is in a few (or is in the full context of) the middle, or middle to latter chapters of Romans maybe?

They seem to have the fate of someday being brought back in again, but only after the Gentiles fully are, or are fully, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello sir,

What do I mean about Circumcised hearts? Well, I'm not sure how to answer that. I would have to ask in return this question: Are you familiar with the Covenant of Circumcision? I ask because it is the very backbone of the entire Bible. This would be the best place to start in terms of answering your question and can go from there.
Do you think there is a big difference between the NT/NC circumcision, and being born again?

Or in being baptized for repentance from sins?

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Do you think there is a big difference between the NT/NC circumcision, and being born again?

Or in being baptized for repentance from sins?

God Bless.
I love your question. I'm not sure of what "NC" means, though. I want to make sure I understand before I try to answer! Your questions are of utmost importance.

Thank you for the chance to learn with you. :)

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I love your question. I'm not sure of what "NC" means, though. I want to make sure I understand before I try to answer! Your questions are of utmost importance.

Thank you as well.

NC is an abbreviation for New Covenant.

You'll see those a lot on here just so you know in the future, ok. NT/NC, OT/OC, etc.

God Bless.

• Love
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Thank you as well.

NC is an abbreviation for New Covenant.

You'll see those a lot on here just so you know in the future, ok. NT/NC, OT/OC, etc.

God Bless.
Thank you so much. It made sense that NC was referring to the New Covenant, but wanted to make sure.

Whew. First, it is important that you know that I am not telling you what to believe as we discuss these things. I consider myself as more of a reporter of what Scripture conveys. I have been cataloging Scripture for years, compiling notes and summaries based upon the Words of the Almighty. I try to read commentary [as little] as possible. I'm not interested in what people who sell their books have to say. I'd rather depend upon the Lord and friends like you, to figure things out.

You asked: "Do you think there is a big difference between the NT/NC circumcision, and being born again?"

This will surprise you (I think). What we know as the New Covenant is actually the fulfillment of the Covenant first made with Abraham in Genesis Chapter 17. Gen 17 is a keystone Chapter of the entire Bible. But before we dig too deep, it is vital to study Ephesians Chapters 1 and 3, where He discusses how the Eternal Plan of God has been kept hidden, as we have previously and briefly discussed. Did you catch that? The Gospel, Saving Plan of Christ is in the Old Testament, but the Lord used certain methods by which to keep it hidden. One of those ways was to Spiritually blind a person, or an entire Nation, such as Israel, from being able to comprehend these Spiritual matters.

Physical circumcision was instituted in the lives of Abraham and Sarah, our Mother and Father of Faith. But as we find in Gen 17, this circumcision was only a SIGN of something greater than itself. And here is where the Mystery comes into play, and we have to spend incredible amounts of hours to figure these things out . . . physical circumcision is the physical expression of Spiritual Circumcision, the cutting away of the Sinful Nature. It is by the removal of the Sinful Nature that a person could be considered Upright, Holy, Pure, Redeemed, Wholehearted, Blameless, etc. Because God had given this Grace to Abraham (and Sarah), the Grace of Spiritual Circumcision, this is the basis for the Covenant of Circumcision, established in the lives of Abraham and Sarah.

So, the Promises and Blessings of Abraham? Yes . . . they revolve around Spiritual Circumcision. This is the Promise! Is there a greater Promise to be had while in this physical body? There is nothing greater for us to obtain than Christ and His Spiritual Circumcision from our relationship with the Devil. This must take place, for there is nothing more important. Without this Circumcision, we are considered Spiritually dead.

Colossians 2:9-15 explains this. Read as many translations as possible. I recommend the KJV and NLT. They express slightly different ideas, but they do work well together to convey the absolute backbone and spine of the entire Bible.

This Covenant of Circumcision, however, is a Covenant to be fulfilled first during the Day of Christ and thereafter. This Covenant was made for both Jews and Gentiles alike. Before then, however, the Law of Moses was given as a type of Guardian to protect the Jews while they were placed into their deep Spiritual sleep (by God Himself). This Law held until the Day of Christ, and even before He died, He began to forgive the Jews of their sins, thus, there would be no need for animal sacrifice. So, Jesus fulfills the Law, for He forgives in a way that leads to Eternal Life.

This is when the Covenant of Circumcision comes out of hibernation and is fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost. The Covenant of Circumcision is fulfilled in the New Covenant found in the New Testament. They are one and the same, for the very same Promises and Blessings that have been extended to us, were already given to Abraham and Sarah, hence, they were Blameless and Purified.

Wouldn't it have been nice to have been taught these things? Unbelievable.

Repentance. As a reporter of Scripture, it seems extremely evident that Repentance is given as a gift. Repentance seems like it is something that we choose on our own accord, but all Scriptures considered, there is plenty of room to believe that Repentance comes from a person because they have been Empowered by God to do so, to make that choice (or so they think). Does this make sense? The vast majority of "christians" struggle with Repentance because it hasn't been given to them as a gift, just as the Holy Spirit is a gift. Why don't these "christians" actually turn away from their habitual sin? Because they're not actual Christians. These are the very people that we are warned about throughout the New Testament. These false "christians" are wolves dressed in sheep's clothing, acting the part on Sunday, but another part throughout the week.

Paul makes the clear point that obtaining Eternal life is all the Work of God, lest we should boast. The Scriptures point to a God who saves those who are under His Curse, but belong to Him. God does not abandon His Elect . . . ever. For He knows that His Children need to be Redeemed from the captivity of the Devil, and until then, they remain blind. But the Lord WILL awakened all who belong to Him.

Simply put, our God is Effectual. He draws us. He Redeems us. He Justifies us. He will Glorify us. Our God is Effectual from start to finish, lest we should boast.

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I'll try to just cut to the chase and just give you the reason or point to why I asked you those questions, ok. As I guess there is really no point beating around the bush, etc.

And I guess I was just trying to take the long way around in helping you get down to what was the most important about those three subjects, or NT ideas or concepts, etc.

And that is the "change", and how deep it goes, etc. Is it 50%, 75%, 90%, or is it a 100% change, and very, very, very deep 180 degree turnaround for the 100% best or better from whatever you formerly were before that, etc?

Because that is what is the most important, and is what matters the most, etc.

Is that "old man" truly 100% dead replaced by a 100% totally new one that is for the 100% better, etc?

Because that is what is the most important about the NT/NC circumcision, or repentance from sins (or a formerly very sinful way of life) and/or being truly born-again, etc.

Hope this helps you out!

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you so much. It made sense that NC was referring to the New Covenant, but wanted to make sure.

Whew. First, it is important that you know that I am not telling you what to believe as we discuss these things. I consider myself as more of a reporter of what Scripture conveys. I have been cataloging Scripture for years, compiling notes and summaries based upon the Words of the Almighty. I try to read commentary [as little] as possible. I'm not interested in what people who sell their books have to say. I'd rather depend upon the Lord and friends like you, to figure things out.

You asked: "Do you think there is a big difference between the NT/NC circumcision, and being born again?"

This will surprise you (I think). What we know as the New Covenant is actually the fulfillment of the Covenant first made with Abraham in Genesis Chapter 17. Gen 17 is a keystone Chapter of the entire Bible. But before we dig too deep, it is vital to study Ephesians Chapters 1 and 3, where He discusses how the Eternal Plan of God has been kept hidden, as we have previously and briefly discussed. Did you catch that? The Gospel, Saving Plan of Christ is in the Old Testament, but the Lord used certain methods by which to keep it hidden. One of those ways was to Spiritually blind a person, or an entire Nation, such as Israel, from being able to comprehend these Spiritual matters.

Physical circumcision was instituted in the lives of Abraham and Sarah, our Mother and Father of Faith. But as we find in Gen 17, this circumcision was only a SIGN of something greater than itself. And here is where the Mystery comes into play, and we have to spend incredible amounts of hours to figure these things out . . . physical circumcision is the physical expression of Spiritual Circumcision, the cutting away of the Sinful Nature. It is by the removal of the Sinful Nature that a person could be considered Upright, Holy, Pure, Redeemed, Wholehearted, Blameless, etc. Because God had given this Grace to Abraham (and Sarah), the Grace of Spiritual Circumcision, this is the basis for the Covenant of Circumcision, established in the lives of Abraham and Sarah.

So, the Promises and Blessings of Abraham? Yes . . . they revolve around Spiritual Circumcision. This is the Promise! Is there a greater Promise to be had while in this physical body? There is nothing greater for us to obtain than Christ and His Spiritual Circumcision from our relationship with the Devil. This must take place, for there is nothing more important. Without this Circumcision, we are considered Spiritually dead.

Colossians 2:9-15 explains this. Read as many translations as possible. I recommend the KJV and NLT. They express slightly different ideas, but they do work well together to convey the absolute backbone and spine of the entire Bible.

This Covenant of Circumcision, however, is a Covenant to be fulfilled first during the Day of Christ and thereafter. This Covenant was made for both Jews and Gentiles alike. Before then, however, the Law of Moses was given as a type of Guardian to protect the Jews while they were placed into their deep Spiritual sleep (by God Himself). This Law held until the Day of Christ, and even before He died, He began to forgive the Jews of their sins, thus, there would be no need for animal sacrifice. So, Jesus fulfills the Law, for He forgives in a way that leads to Eternal Life.

This is when the Covenant of Circumcision comes out of hibernation and is fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost. The Covenant of Circumcision is fulfilled in the New Covenant found in the New Testament. They are one and the same, for the very same Promises and Blessings that have been extended to us, were already given to Abraham and Sarah, hence, they were Blameless and Purified.

Repentance. As a reporter of Scripture, it seems extremely evident that Repentance is given as a gift. Repentance seems like it is something that we choose on our own accord, but all Scriptures considered, there is plenty of room to believe that Repentance comes from a person because they have been Empowered by God to do so, to make that choice (or so they think). Does this make sense? The vast majority of "christians" struggle with Repentance because it hasn't been given to them as a gift, just as the Holy Spirit is a gift. Why don't these "christians" actually turn away from their habitual sin? Because they're not actual Christians. These are the very people that we are warned about throughout the New Testament. These false "christians" are wolves dressed in sheep's clothing, acting the part on Sunday, but another part throughout the week.

Paul makes the clear point that obtaining Eternal life is all the Work of God, lest we should boast. The Scriptures point to a God who saves those who are under His Curse, but belong to Him. God does not abandon His Elect . . . ever. For He knows that His Children need to be Redeemed from the captivity of the Devil, and until then, they remain blind. But the Lord WILL awakened all who belong to Him.

Simply put, our God is Effectual. He draws us. He Redeems us. He Justifies us. He will Glorify us. Our God is Effectual from start to finish, lest we should boast.
Try not to focus or get stuck too much on just the word circumcision, and please read my last post, ok.

Be blessed friend.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'll try to just cut to the chase and just give you the reason or point to why I asked you those questions, ok. As I guess there is really no point beating around the bush, etc.

And I guess I was just trying to take the long way around in helping you get down to what was the most important about those three subjects, or NT ideas or concepts, etc.

And that is the "change", and how deep it goes, etc. Is it 50%, 75%, 90%, or is it a 100% change, and very, very, very deep 180 degree turnaround for the 100% best or better from whatever you formerly were before that, etc?

Because that is what is the most important, and is what matters the most, etc.

Is that "old man" truly 100% dead replaced by a 100% totally new one that is for the 100% better, etc?

Because that is what is the most important about the NT/NC circumcision, or repentance from sins (or a formerly very sinful way of life) and/or being truly born-again, etc.

Hope this helps you out!

God Bless.
I really don't know what to tell people who did not have a formerly "very, very sinful way of life" that they needed to repent from formerly in life, etc, or that have been quote/unquote "good" or what might be deemed as "goody two shoes" all of their lives, etc?

Other than that maybe they just aren't or ever were quite as good as they think they are (or always have been) in life, and that maybe they need to dig a little bit deeper down onto the insides of themselves in their lives, etc.

Or if not that, then maybe that they are very sinful in the same way a baby is very sinful in life, and maybe they need to come face to face with that and/or acknowledge that before they can really get anywhere with God in life, etc.

Either way I can't help but recall what Jesus said when He said He came to call sinners to repentance, and not the righteous in life, etc.

And also either way also, I've tried to figure it out for them also, but it's just not where I came from in life, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Let’s go!

I'll let John the Baptist explain himself:

Matthew 3
10 And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are; “a man after my own heart”. I avoid commentaries and religious books all I can and only read them because someone I am studying with wants my opinion. The author is usually dead and if alive will not address my questions (which I really try to politely ask.) We have the indwelling Holy Spirit, can receive wisdom through pray believing we will get it and can control our motive for wanting to know.

Your question: Was John The Baptist Able To Circumcise Hearts?

Romans 2:29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.

This verse is in the context of: Ro. 2: 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Here we have the law written on stone for those outwardly circumcised being contrasted with the law written on the heart (our conscience) and the heart being circumcised.

The knowledge of good and evil was pasted down to all mature adults through our consciences/heart. For a while at least, it hurts and burdens us to hurt or not help others. Our nature does not have to change from the nature Adam and Eve had prior to sinning, for us to be burden by our sinning.

John the Baptist was a messenger and not the Spirit which can circumcise our hearts. It appears from Ro. 2 Paul is saying those who are obeying the law written on their heart circumcised hearts which is much more important than physical circumcision.
God saves people by judging their hearts, so do not try to limit salvation or God, to some written plan people are to follow.

Ephesians 3:6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 1:27 To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 2:2…, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

Ro. 11: 22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23 And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!

The Spirit does stuff which can soften one person’s heart and harden another person’s heart, but that depends on how the person has prepared their own hearts. So did the Spirit harden a person’s heart by doing what He did?

I do not have time to address everything you said, but I do want to spend some time on “repentance”.

I agree that the ability to repent is a gift from God, but it is a gift all mature adults have been given, but it is not equating repentance with turn from sinning to not sinning, but repentance can be just turning from what you were doing to doing something else. Let’s, look at the prodigal son: he was not given direction to change from some outside source (the father did not send servants to him), put on his own came to his senses. He realized where he got himself and where he was going if he did not change. This is his choice: be macho, hang-in there, do not pester his father further with undeserving requests, avoid fueling his brother’s anger, maintain his false pride and take the punishment he fully deserves or he can wimp-out, give up on self and just be willing to humbly accept pure undeserved charity from his father. For selfish reason (thus a sinful reason), he turns to his father (repents). This turning to the father allows the father to shower the son with unbelievable wonderful gifts.

Our “repentance” is similar, we are the sinful criminal holding a child of God away from God and his home in the Kingdom. We can repent of being a kidnapper of God’s child, by just accepting a huge ransom payment (Jesus Christ and him crucified) and thus allowing the child to go free, but that does not mean we did something worthy of the payment. The child of God, which is the former sinful kidnapper, is showered with unbelievable wonderful gifts, but that comes after the kidnapper’s choice.

Upvote 0