• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

The Problem of Evil

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dhh712, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,618
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Ok, honest answer and I would agree, I don't see how anyone can say with any confidence, what a God does or doesn't do, if one exists, unless they are just making it up to fit a certain belief they have.

2. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    what do Buddhists believe now you have my drift ,

3. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    hes indifferent ill give him that

4. Skybringr

Skybringr Well-Known Member

+37
    Catholic
    Single
    Conveniently, when an atheist sees that atheism is boring and fails to answer the hard questions, they'll turn to something such as Buddhism which supposes spirituality with no governing Deity.

In other words, Buddhists and deists are definitively anti-Christian. They have acknowledged a premise of spirituality and yet completely reject the true God. A technique of deception, if you ask me.

5. Jeremy E Walker

Jeremy E Walker Active Member

+15
    Christian
    In Relationship
    If you claim a person is immoral for not alleviating the suffering of people when they could, and you do not alleviate the suffering of people when you could, you are immoral by your own standard.

That is my point.

6. Huntun

Huntun Ho Chih Zen

+5
    Seeker
    Single
    Yeah Buddha even invented Buddhism just to rebel against the Christian God. He used his psychic powers to view the future and saw that people would end up following a religion called Christianity that would be invented about 400 or some odd years later and was like "heck no I'm going to nip this in the bud right now!"

7. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    me mams got a china budda on the fireplace......just thought id throw that in

8. Chany

Chany Uncertain Absurdist

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    So?

Ad hominem.

Also, you don't know what any of us do, or plan to do. So, your point is moot.

Likewise, the level of effort, time, resources, and personal strain involved are entirely different. It is incredibly hard, almost to the point of impossibility, to be an altruistic, giving saint for the masses. It is entirely different to will for something, which is all your god has to do.

9. ToddNotTodd

ToddNotTodd Iconoclast

+3,222
    Seeker
    Married
    I could argue your point, but I don't need to. Let's say for arguments sake that you're right and I'm immoral.

Now are you going to address my actual argument, or are you going to concede that what I've said is correct and your god is unloving? Because ignoring the entirety of my argument seems pretty telling to me...

10. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others

i dont know thats why im asking sherlock

11. Skybringr

+37
    Catholic
    Single
    Atheists like yourself who call themselves Buddhists are not really Buddhists. Or Deism, or anything.

You all are a dime a dozen. You are far from the first and far from the last of those types I will encounter in my lifetime.

The very fact that you are so absurdly ridiculous to talk to, have no depth or respect whatsoever, just shows how laughable it is to see one prescribe their self Buddhism.

The fact of the matter is that you have merely attempted to put yourself in an outrageously convenient location and standing, and it's a facade that I can see right through.

12. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    Forget it Sherlock ( work it out seeing as your so smart ) your boring me to death

13. ToddNotTodd

ToddNotTodd Iconoclast

+3,222
    Seeker
    Married
    God could have created a universe populated with beings that could disobey him but do not disobey him. Solves the problem of suffering (well, the suffering we cause each other) rather nicely.

But since that's not the way the universe is, we have to assume your god desires the suffering we cause each other.

14. ToddNotTodd

ToddNotTodd Iconoclast

+3,222
    Seeker
    Married
    And then later...

Pot. Kettle. Black...

15. Skybringr

+37
    Catholic
    Single
    He doesn't want to slip up and say something wrong :D

I've met two Buddhists in my lifetime, and they are both very intellectually deep people. If we were having a discussion with a real Buddhist, it would be nothing like what Mockingbird has been perpetuating: typical anti-theist with a chip on his shoulder.

16. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    Ive never met one so i was interested in his views,but i wasn't expecting my punctuation to be brought up,If Sherlock proof reads my letter ill send one to the Dali lama asking him how he thinks life started because it looks like Sherlock wont give me an answer

17. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,954
    Agnostic
    God is evil because, according to christians, he refuses to cure people of cancer because they refuse to stroke his ego. I was flatly told that people are not cured of cancer because they refuse to worship God.

Really? I didn't eat of the Tree of Good and Evil, and yet I am paying for it, supposedly.

Is it moral to throw a child into jail because of something her great-grandfather did? Absolutely not. So why is it moral for God to do the same?

The least fewest number of HIV infections found amongst lesbians. Their rate of HIV infection is lower than heterosexuals. Does this mean that God approves of lesbian sex more than he does heterosexual sex?

Could God stop all HIV infections with a wag of his finger? According to christians, he could. God is omnipotent. So why not do it?

Does a father give his 6 month old son cancer in order to punish him for something his great grandfather did? If not, it isn't comparable.

18. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    Nice philosophy Sherlock.eerrrrrrrrrrrr i dont know the answer so ill pull him on his capitals hahahaha whats funny though is i know im thick but you think your clever .your deluded Sherlock hahahah

19. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others

hahahaha sherlock has just googled sherlock ...why not google Buddhism and give me an answer :D:D:D

20. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    hey sherlock me mams got a buddha on the fireplace will it bring her luck .i guess not she had me hahhahah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.