Hong Kong
✟152,847.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Look for "Heisenberg uncertainity principle".
I dont think thats what it is about.
But I'd be interested in how you connect it to " fixed reality"
You gonna tell me how my pov was wrong?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,363.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You would need to explain how religions dont require the
supernatural.
It seems you have forgotten what your POV was:

From an atheist pov, the bedrock of ant religionn is belief
in magic
, totally incomprehensible supernatural
beings and events. No attempt is made to understand them.

All untrue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From an atheist pov, the bedrock of any religion is belief in magic, totally incomprehensible supernatural beings and events. No attempt is made to understand them. How is that like science.
Au contraire.

Magic aside, science indeed made an attempt to apply its myopic scientific method to the supernatural.

And failed miserably -- very miserably.

One of the better-known failures is the Apollo 14 ESP test.

And scientists today even tested the effects of prayer-vs-placebo.

Everything from astral projection to Kirlian photography has science's myopic fingerprints all over it.

And what do they usually conclude?

"Duuuuh ... I don't know, Tennessee."

The one thing they did test though, that I think was very informative, was the DNA in the wafers of the Eucharist.

One of the few times I agree with their conclusions regarding the supernatural.

When will scientists ever learn that testing the supernatural is a waste of time, energy, resources, intelligence, and money?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,363.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Quantum 'measurements' do not require minds.
I did not say that measurements require mind. According to some experiments, the outcome does, though.

“The idea of an objective real world whose smallest parts exist objectively in the same sense as stones or trees exist, independently of whether or not we observe them is impossible.”
Werner Heisenberg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟835,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I did not say that measurements require mind. According to some experiments, the outcome does, though.

I doubt that. Which experiments?

The Heisenberg quote refers to observations, which is the same as measurement.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟152,847.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems you have forgotten what your POV was:

All untrue.

" all untrue " -more of
the interaction problem elsewhere referred to.
You just say things with no substance, no interaction with
anything real.
Note how much correction you need just on your strange
understanding of the uncertainty principle.

Anyway, no point in attempting to interact. Bye.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,363.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟835,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
For now, I have found this:

Experimental tests of the role of consciousness in the physical world:
https://fundacaobial.com/media/1899/18_experimental-tests-of-the-role_bolsa6308_21022014.pdf

Dean Radin's work, if valid, would not really tell us anything about quantum mechanics. It would prove the existence of psychic powers. Very few people think it's valid.

The experiment is said to be consistent with this interpretation:
Von Neumann–Wigner interpretation - Wikipedia

I will grant that this is a minority interpretation of QM, with the flaws noted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,363.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very few people think it's valid.
Who knows, but the number of people thinking its valid or invalid does not make it valid or invalid.

I do not suppose its hard to repeat the experiment, so I am looking forward to see the results of others. But I am afraid it will be simply dismissed as "too spooky" without that.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,900.00
Faith
Atheist
No, its just a presupposition. We have no way to prove the world existed yesterday or that we actually understand anything and are not insane instead, talking some gibberish.
That's why it's not a presupposition, but effectively a hypothesis; all scientific hypotheses and theories are provisional, and it's possible (though it seems extremely unlikely) that the patterns and regularities we observe and interpret could turn out to be the result of chance, or hallucinations, or whatever. We simply observe that there are patterns and regularities, and try to make sense of them.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,363.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's why it's not a presupposition, but effectively a hypothesis; all scientific hypotheses and theories are provisional, and it's possible (though it seems extremely unlikely) that the patterns and regularities we observe and interpret could turn out to be the result of chance, or hallucinations, or whatever. We simply observe that there are patterns and regularities, and try to make sense of them.
If the starting point is just observation, then the first certainity we have is that we exist and that we observe/experience. Everything else is just a chain of thoughts we have built upon that.

And its a thing we should do, nothing against that. Even if we were in a dream, it would be useful for us to figure out how it works and use that for our advantage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,900.00
Faith
Atheist
If the starting point is just observation, then the first certainity we have is that we exist and that we observe/experience. Everything else is just a chain of thoughts we have built upon that.
Quite - that's the Cartesian conclusion, that all we can be certain of is that there is a thinker of these thoughts; for the rest, we cannot know whether "... some malignant demon, who is at once exceedingly potent and deceitful, has employed all his artifice" to deceive us.

And its a thing we should do, nothing against that. Even if we were in a dream, it would be useful for us to figure out how it works and use that for our advantage.
That is the project of science, an empirical approach to reducing our uncertainty about the world as it presents itself.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,363.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Quite - that's the Cartesian conclusion, that all we can be certain of is that there is a thinker of these thoughts; for the rest, we cannot know whether "... some malignant demon, who is at once exceedingly potent and deceitful, has employed all his artifice" to deceive us.
I like Descartes.

That is the project of science, an empirical approach to reducing our uncertainty about the world as it presents itself.
With this I could agree. The problem can be with the interpretation of facts, because it seems that many atheists reduce reality to only what it seems to be right now & right here. Or to materialism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0