Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've only done a short search here but I haven't found anything yet indicating that the KJV ever said anything but Unicorn. Just sayin, not yet anyway.
Again, this is a supernatural event, not a natural. I can say that I have never seen unicorn in the scriptures until the past few years. Much less satyr.
The idea that "history changed" is nonsense.
I'm not here to debate that, just testify to my own experience.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting how one word might be remembered by 100 plus people as ON earth, and not IN earth.Is this a good starting point?
In other words, they "remembered" it as they'd say it in modern American English. Just as they "remember" Humphrey Bogart telling Dooley Wilson "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca, although that's not really what he said. And that's what M.E. is in simplest terms - remembering things wrong. No spookiness necessary.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In other words, they "remembered" it as they'd say it in modern American English. Just as they "remember" Humphrey Bogart telling Dooley Wilson "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca, although that's not really what he said. And that's what M.E. is in simplest terms - remembering things wrong. No spookiness necessary.

You speak so confidently of things you do not understand.

Everything isn't a debate.

Reactions: Howard1955
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You speak so confidently of things you do not understand.
Oh, if you're looking for a good story I'm not the guy you need. I prefer plain old workaday reality to mystical foofoo, which makes me something of a killjoy in discussions where spiritual jiggery-pokery is what most of the participants are shooting for.

History doesn't change. Books on a shelf don't change. Nixon didn't win the election in 1960. Mandela didn't die in prison. The Monitor never fought the Merrimac. Gutenberg didn't invent the printing press. The earth isn't flat. Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself. Doesn't matter how vivid your "memory" of those things may be, they didn't happen. No sci-fi cosmotron or time machine to go back and do what Orwell's Minitrue was charged to do. Reality may be boring, but it's, well, reality.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I prefer plain old workaday reality to mystical foofoo, which makes me something of a killjoy in discussions where spiritual jiggery-pokery is what most of the participants are shooting for.

...Reality may be boring, but it's, well, reality.

Jesus is the only reality, kimosabe.

And to please Him, you need faith...which is spiritual.

No jiggery-pokery in that.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And to please Him, you need faith...which is spiritual. No jiggery-pokery in that.
Good, for while I have faith in our Lord, I have no faith in jiggery-pokery or science-fantasy woowoo.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good, for while I have faith in our Lord, I have no faith in jiggery-pokery or science-fantasy woowoo.

Science fantasies exist in movies and comic books.

The fact that the devil, very craftily, forms a network of lies around us, is no fantasy.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fact that the devil, very craftily, forms a network of lies around us, is no fantasy.
I've found that "the devil could do that" is the basis for a lot of really silly ideas that Christians come up with. Plus it's a lot more "spiritual" to believe, or purport to believe, that the devil has changed history than that we're getting older and our memory isn't what it once was. The real world is boring, and a movie made of most our lives wouldn't keep anyone awake for very long. But if Satan his own self is changing history on us, now that's a story! Now it's not just creeping senility, it's a battle between Good and Evil, God and Satan! It's not just "a lot of people think Nelson Mandela died in prison", it's "Nelson Mandela died in prison, but Satan has changed the past so he didn't until later." Sounds like a Dr. Who episode, except that The Doctor would have set it right again before the closing credits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've found that "the devil could do that" is the basis for a lot of really silly ideas that Christians come up with. Plus it's a lot more "spiritual" to believe, or purport to believe, that the devil has changed history than that we're getting older and our memory isn't what it once was. The real world is boring, and a movie made of most our lives wouldn't keep anyone awake for very long. But if Satan his own self is changing history on us, now that's a story! Now it's not just creeping senility, it's a battle between Good and Evil, God and Satan! It's not just "a lot of people think Nelson Mandela died in prison", it's "Nelson Mandela died in prison, but Satan has changed the past so he didn't until later." Sounds like a Dr. Who episode, except that The Doctor would have set it right again before the closing credits.

The devil can only alter history by altering traces of history.

Scriptures are the only true record of history.

And yes, they are changing.

It has become more evident now, but it didn't begin now. The fact that you can't discern it doesn't erase it.

Some of these changes are as clear as day. Yet many don't see them...which proves discernment is spiritual. Choose to be asleep if you wish, everyone has their wake-time.

Scripture isn't changing but the letter "k" is mysteriously being added to words?

What does it mean? Nothing to the undiscerning mind.

Lamentations 5:14,
The elders have ceased from the gate, the young men from their musick. (KJV)

Acts 8:3,
As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison. (KJV)

All meaning nothing? Don't be silly.

Jesus retuns from praying and finds His disciples asleep, then He tells them to keep sleeping?

Matthew 26:45,
Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. (KJV)

Clear as day.

But if you wish, you can choose to sleep on now.

Upvote 0

The Parson

Your servant
Mar 27, 2013
East Tennessee, USA
Visit site
✟22,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nixon didn't win the election in 1960. Mandela didn't die in prison. The Monitor never fought the Merrimac. Gutenberg didn't invent the printing press. The earth isn't flat. Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.
This stuff is of no interest to me! And again, not interested in debate either. And what kind of knuckle head would think the earth is flat?

Upvote 0

The Parson

Your servant
Mar 27, 2013
East Tennessee, USA
Visit site
✟22,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question then. Is it your faith that saves you? No, that would be an act of works. It takes grace through faith. That act of grace that gives you a new reborn soul is a spiritual happening. Not a natural happening. If you admit to that, then you have to admit to spiritual things also happening even today. And prophesy that is true prophesy being fulfilled.

Then again, I see you follow the Anglican teachings that places scholarship over spirituality. Some of these scholars even believe that spirituality is hog wash. That may very well be the reason you have eyes but can't see. Or even ears and can't hear!

Upvote 0

Howard1955

Jul 19, 2019
Dallas, Oregon
✟26,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Growing up Pentecostal, we always used the KJV.

I remember being taught about “wineskins”. But that word isn’t in the KJV, and I’m told it never was.

If it was never there, how in the world do I have memories of it? When I read the word “bottles” now, it just seems wrong.

Whatever is going on, I think our only hope is to keep our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ as fresh and strong as we can.

It certainly looks to me like we’re in new territory. The Christians being beheaded over in the Middle East probably feel that they’re in the End Times tribulation.

Upvote 0

The Parson

Your servant
Mar 27, 2013
East Tennessee, USA
Visit site
✟22,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being a preacher who only uses the KJV, I've preached on how new wine will bust an old wineskin. You need a new, unstretched wineskin for the new wine to ferment. Now, even though you find it in the newer versions, you'll not find it in the King James anymore.
It certainly looks to me like we’re in new territory.
So I take it you're convinced...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Howard1955

Jul 19, 2019
Dallas, Oregon
✟26,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I’m convinced that something supernatural is going on, but I don’t know enough about it to say much. More questions than answers means I have to walk by faith, and keep my focus on the Lord Jesus Christ.

He knows what he’s doing.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The devil can only alter history by altering traces of history.
I have no reason to believe he can do either.

Scriptures are the only true record of history. And yes, they are changing.
Newer translations, yeah. Although my grandmother's favorite Korean translation hasn't undergone any recent changes, so you can always refer that.

It has become more evident now, but it didn't begin now. The fact that you can't discern it doesn't erase it.
Just because someone believes that the text of the KJV on their shelf has somehow changed doesn't make it true, it just ruins their credibility.

Some of these changes are as clear as day.
For example?

Scripture isn't changing but the letter "k" is mysteriously being added to words?
Archaic spelling. Music was musick, havoc = havock, almanac/almanack, etc. The Brits still use some of the old forms, theatre/theater, colour/color, gaol/jail, defence/defense, and like that, but they're seldom if ever used in the States. But be of good cheer, Old Nick can't manage to add or remove letters from any Bible currently sitting on your desk.

What does it mean? Nothing to the undiscerning mind.
Or those with less imagination.

All meaning nothing? Don't be silly.
Means the orthography has a changed. Hardly a diabolical plot discerned by the "spiritual" few.

Matthew 26:45,
Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. (KJV)
What do you believe that He really said?

Clear as day.
Clear;ly written, anyway.

But if you wish, you can choose to sleep on now.
I think it safe to say I won't lose much sleep worrying about what some people claim to "remember".

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That act of grace that gives you a new reborn soul is a spiritual happening. Not a natural happening.
Agreed.

If you admit to that, then you have to admit to spiritual things also happening even today.
Sure. Which most certainly does not lead me to conclude that every bit of superstitious hogwash that anyone dreams up must be true because they say it's "spiritual". That's the Harold Camping schtick: "The Lord really returned last week but only the spiritual discerned it. Nope, old Harold is just a liar, "spiritual" claims notwithstanding.

Then again, I see you follow the Anglican teachings that places scholarship over spirituality.
Properly so. The "spiritual" is too subjective and too easily claimed without any shred of evidence. Scholarship says "Show me in Scripture and in fact"." "Spiritualism" says "believe what I say on my spiritual authority". Plus the dividing line between spiritualism and plain superstition is way too vague for comfort.

That may very well be the reason you have eyes but can't see. Or even ears and can't hear!
Or maybe I'm just the kind of guy who works off this paradigm: "26“Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it. 27For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together."

Upvote 0