THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Your post has no truth in it whatsoever and is very sad for you. You provide no scripture and speak your own words over God's WORD.

If I could have provided scripture to show a command in the new testament to observe a sabbath, I would have done so, but I cannot provide scripture that simply doesn't exist.

Jesus and the Apostles taught everyone to follow and OBEY all of God's 10 Commandments.

Jesus and the Apostles never taught anything about following or obeying a sabbath. Again, can't provide scripture that doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If I could have provided scripture to show a command in the new testament to observe a sabbath, I would have done so, but I cannot provide scripture that simply doesn't exist.

Now your just making it up. God's WORD disagrees with you.

GOD's WORD linked CLICK ME.

Jesus and the Apostles never taught anything about following or obeying a sabbath. Again, can't provide scripture that doesn't exist.

Sorry bekkilyn, that is simply dishonest and has no truth in it. Let's look at the scriptures...

It seems in your view according to the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures.....

1. Jesus did not teach that it is lawful to do GOOD on the Sabbath? (Matt 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56)

2. In your view; Jesus did not teach that God's Sabbath was made for mankind and not man for the Sabbath rebuking the tradtions of the Jew in regards to their traditions and interpretation around Sabbath keeping? (Mark 2:27-28; Matthew 12:8)

3. In your view; Jesus did not teach that he was the maker and creator of the Sabbath and the God of creation? (Hebrews 1:2; John 1:1-3; 14; Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16-17; Mark 2:27)

4. In your view; Jesus is not our example who kept the Sabbath as well as all those who followed him (Matt 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matt 16:24; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Rev 1:10)

5. In your view; was Jesus was lying when he said those that break God's Commandments and teach others to do so will not enter God's Kingdom? (Matt 5:19)

6. In your view; Jesus was lying when he said not a jot or tittle will pass from God's LAW until heaven and earth pass away? (Matthew 5:18)

7. In your view; Jesus was lying when he said that on the two great commandments of LOVE to GOD and MAN hang ALL the LAW and the prophets? (Matthew 22:36-40)

In your view; Paul is not to be believed when he gives us warnings that those who do NOT believe and follow GOD
do not enter into God's Sabbath rest because of their SINS and UNBELIEF (Hebrews 3-4)?

9. In your view; there is only 9 Commandments not 10 and James is lying when he says that if you break one of God's Commandments you stand guilty before God of breaking all of them (James 2:8-12).

10. In your view; the OLD Testament scriptures are not to be BELIEVED, and Timothy is not to be believed when he says ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16)

11. In your view; God's 4th Commandment is not one of God's 10 Commandments

Why would Jesus and the Apostles give us further instruction in relation to Sabbath keeping building on the OLD TESTAMENET scriptures if we no longer need to keep it? (Point 1, 2, 3, 6)

If your understanding of the scriptures are correct you will have no problems providing scripture for the following questions;

Please feel free to show us from the Scriptures........

1. That God's 4th Commandment has now been ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a HOLY day?

2. That Jesus is a Sabbath?

3. The Sabbath (seventh day) was ever changed from the seventh to the first day of the week?

4. Where we are told to keep the first day of the week holy?

5. Where the first day of the week (Sunday) is ever called a holy day?

6. That says that Jesus ever kept the first day (Sunday)?

7. That tells us to keep the first day in honour of the resurrection of Christ?

8. Where the first day is ever given any sacred name?

9. That affirms that any of the apostles ever kept the first day as the Sabbath?

10. From any apostolic writings that authorizes Sunday observance as the Sabbath of God?

11. Where we are told not to work on the first day of the week?

12. That says the seventh day is no longer God's Sabbath day?

13. That says the seventh day Sabbath is ABOLISHED?

14. Where the apostles ever taught any convert to keep the first day of the week as a Sabbath?

15. Where the first day was ever appointed to be kept as the Lord's Day?

16. Where the first day of the week is ever called the Lord's Day?

17. That says that the first day of the week was ever sanctified and hallowed as a day of rest?

18. That says that the Father or the Son (Jesus) rested on the first day of the week?

19. That says that Jesus, Paul or any other of the apostles taught anyone to observe the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

20. That calls the seventh day the “Jewish Sabbath” or one text that calls Sunday the “Christian Sabbath”?

21. Telling man to keep the first day of the week holy or to worship or rest on the first day of the week?

22. Authorizing anyone to set aside God's Sabbath and observe any other day?

23. Showing any of the apostles keeping the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

24. Authorizing someone to set aside the fourth Commandment and observe any other day of the week?

25. Where any apostle taught us to keep the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

26. Declaring that the seventh day is no longer the Eternal Sabbath day?

27. Where Sunday is now appointed to be kept as the New Testament Sabbath or holy day?

If your lamp has gone out how can you find your way when the road is dark and narrow is the way?

God's Sheep hear his Voice.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, they said sabbath was a shadow but the reality is Christ.

INDEED but not God's ETERNAL 4th Commandment Sabbath from the 10 Commandments. COL 2:16 is a reference to the ceremonial Shadow Sabbaths in FEAST DAYS that can fall on any day of the week that point to Christ and God's plan of salvation.

SABBATH AND SHADOWS 1 CLICK ME
DETAILED SABBATH IN SHADOWS 2 CLICK ME
SHADOW SABBATH QUESTIONS? CLICK ME

You mis up your Sadows with those that are eternal and the very standard of the OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT scriptures that give us a KNOWLEDGE of what sin is and lead us to Jesus.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Now your just making it up. God's WORD disagrees with you.

Sorry bekkilyn, that is simply dishonest and has no truth in it. Let's look at the scriptures...

It seems in your view according to the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures.....

1. Jesus did not teach that it is lawful to do GOOD on the Sabbath? (Matt 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56)

2. In your view; Jesus did not teach that God's Sabbath was made for mankind and not man for the Sabbath rebuking the tradtions of the Jew in regards to their traditions and interpretation around Sabbath keeping? (Mark 2:27-28; Matthew 12:8)

3. In your view; Jesus did not teach that he was the maker and creator of the Sabbath and the God of creation? (Hebrews 1:2; John 1:1-3; 14; Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16-17; Mark 2:27)

4. In your view; Jesus is not our example who kept the Sabbath as well as all those who followed him (Matt 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matt 16:24; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Rev 1:10)

5. In your view; was Jesus was lying when he said those that break God's Commandments and teach others to do so will not enter God's Kingdom? (Matt 5:19)

6. In your view; Jesus was lying when he said not a jot or tittle will pass from God's LAW until heaven and earth pass away? (Matthew 5:18)

7. In your view; Jesus was lying when he said that on the two great commandments of LOVE to GOD and MAN hang ALL the LAW and the prophets? (Matthew 22:36-40)

In your view; Paul is not to be believed when he gives us warnings that those who do NOT believe and follow GOD
do not enter into God's Sabbath rest because of their SINS and UNBELIEF (Hebrews 3-4)?

9. In your view; there is only 9 Commandments not 10 and James is lying when he says that if you break one of God's Commandments you stand guilty before God of breaking all of them (James 2:8-12).

10. In your view; the OLD Testament scriptures are not to be BELIEVED, and Timothy is not to be believed when he says ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16)

11. In your view; God's 4th Commandment is not one of God's 10 Commandments

Why would Jesus and the Apostles give us further instruction in relation to Sabbath keeping building on the OLD TESTAMENET scriptures if we no longer need to keep it? (Point 1, 2, 3, 6)

If your understanding of the scriptures are correct you will have no problems providing scripture for the following questions;

Please feel free to show us from the Scriptures........

1. That God's 4th Commandment has now been ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a HOLY day?

2. That Jesus is a Sabbath?

3. The Sabbath (seventh day) was ever changed from the seventh to the first day of the week?

4. Where we are told to keep the first day of the week holy?

5. Where the first day of the week (Sunday) is ever called a holy day?

6. That says that Jesus ever kept the first day (Sunday)?

7. That tells us to keep the first day in honour of the resurrection of Christ?

8. Where the first day is ever given any sacred name?

9. That affirms that any of the apostles ever kept the first day as the Sabbath?

10. From any apostolic writings that authorizes Sunday observance as the Sabbath of God?

11. Where we are told not to work on the first day of the week?

12. That says the seventh day is no longer God's Sabbath day?

13. That says the seventh day Sabbath is ABOLISHED?

14. Where the apostles ever taught any convert to keep the first day of the week as a Sabbath?

15. Where the first day was ever appointed to be kept as the Lord's Day?

16. Where the first day of the week is ever called the Lord's Day?

17. That says that the first day of the week was ever sanctified and hallowed as a day of rest?

18. That says that the Father or the Son (Jesus) rested on the first day of the week?

19. That says that Jesus, Paul or any other of the apostles taught anyone to observe the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

20. That calls the seventh day the “Jewish Sabbath” or one text that calls Sunday the “Christian Sabbath”?

21. Telling man to keep the first day of the week holy or to worship or rest on the first day of the week?

22. Authorizing anyone to set aside God's Sabbath and observe any other day?

23. Showing any of the apostles keeping the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

24. Authorizing someone to set aside the fourth Commandment and observe any other day of the week?

25. Where any apostle taught us to keep the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

26. Declaring that the seventh day is no longer the Eternal Sabbath day?

27. Where Sunday is now appointed to be kept as the New Testament Sabbath or holy day?

If your lamp has gone out how can you find your way when the road is dark and narrow is the way?

God's Sheep hear his Voice.

None of the new testament verses you quoted are a command to observe a sabbath.

My lamp is the Holy Spirit, the true seal of God, and not with a sabbath day ritual on any specific day of the week. Jesus is our rest every day of the week. The sabbath was intended as a gift, not as a threat.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
None of the new testament verses you quoted are a command to observe a sabbath.

I guess not if you believe that God's 10 Commandments are really 9 Commandments and you do not believe the scriptures in the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT.

I have never seen any scriptures that talk about the 9 Commandments have you? Just the same as you said in the last post Jesus and the Apostles never taught about the Sabbath yet you were provided over 100 scripture showing Jesus and the Apostles both taught the Sabbath and kept it by example. Sorry bekkilyn, seem that Jesus and the Apostles all disagree with you.

I did notice you ignored all the scriptures and all the questions in post # 482. If you have no answer to this post maybe you can pray about it further at home?

Jesus and the Apostles taught everyone to follow and OBEY all of God's 10 Commandments. The Sabbath is God's 4th Commandment which James says if we break any one of the 10 Commandments we stand guilty before God of sin (James 2:8-12). You say because the word Sabbath is not used in the 10 Commandments then a scripture cannot refer to the Sabbath even though God's Sabbath is the 4th commandment of the 10 (Exodus 20:8-11).

Now in all of the above linked scriptures Jesus and the Apostles teach OBEDIENCE through FAITH in ALL of God's Commandments. Jesus teaches specifically about the Sabbath in the NEW Testament. If there was no more Sabbath why would Jesus teach about it?

God's 4th Commandment is one of the 10 Commandments that God's people were already given and were alreasdy following for over 4000 years. With all the above in mind you choose to reject all this to say where is a command to keep the Sabbath when it is already given by God himself through his Word? To say something like this you have to either not know God's WORD. reject all OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT scripture or willfully reject God's WORD. Which is it with you? This is sad for you bekkilyn.

Indeed, It is hard to see when you close your eyes and ears to God's WORD. Paul and Jesus had the same problem when sharing the scriptures (please read; Matthew 15:7-9; Acts 28:25-27)

My lamp is the Holy Spirit, the true seal of God, and not with a sabbath day ritual on any specific day of the week. Jesus is our rest every day of the week. The sabbath was intended as a gift, not as a threat.

Those who reject God's Word have no lamp or God's Spirit.

JOHN 6:63 [63], It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

PROVERBS 6:23 [23] For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life

HOW DO WE KNOW IF WE KNOW GOD AND HIS SPIRIT?

1 JOHN 2:3-4 [3], And by this we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4], He that says, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

linked to...

1 JOHN 3:3-10
[3], And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.
[4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
[5], And you know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[6], Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.
[7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
[10], In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

The SABBATH is indeed a gift. It is also God's 4th Commandment which is one of the 10 Commandments.

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31)

May God help you Sister bekkilyn, I will pray for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I guess not if you believe that God's 10 Commandments are really 9 Commandments and you do not believe the scriptures in the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT:).

I have never seen any scriptures that talk about the 9 Commandments have you? Just the same as you said in the last post Jesus and the Apostles never taught about the Sabbath yet you were provided over 100 scripture showing Jesus and the Apostles both taught the Sabbath and kept it by example. Sorry bekkilyn, seem that Jesus and the Apostles all disagree with you.

I did notice you ignored all this post and the scriptures in them that disagree with you as well as all the questions I guess you have to answer to in post # 482. If you have no answer to this post maybe you can pray about it further at home?

Those who reject God's Word have no lamp or God's Spirit.

JOHN 6:63 [63], It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

PROVERBS 6:23 [23] For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life

Do we know God?

1 JOHN 2:3-4 [3], And by this we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4], He that says, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

linked to...

1 JOHN 3:3-10
[3], And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.
[4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
[5], And you know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[6], Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.
[7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
[10], In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

May God help you Sister bekkilyn, I will pray for you.

There are no "nine commandments" being commanded in the new testament either. The commandments that Jesus and the apostles refer to are specified very clearly and they simply do not include observing a sabbath day or circumcision or any other such rituals. They may talk about them at times, or even observe some of the Jewish rituals themselves if they are Jewish, but discussing is not the same as commanding others.

I reject your peculiar interpretation of the written word, not God's Word who is Jesus Christ, so the lamp and the Spirit are just fine on my end, but I thank you for your concern. :)

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
INDEED but not God's ETERNAL 4th Commandment Sabbath from the 10 Commandments. COL
You confuse the external ritual and timing, which is ceremonial, with the moral.spiritual aspect of the Sabbath. The moral aspect is to worship and love God.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You confuse the external ritual and timing, which is ceremonial, with the moral.spiritual aspect of the Sabbath. The moral aspect is to worship and love God.

Not at all Eloy,

Posted earlier on this in post # 422 linked you ignored it. God's Sabbath as well as all the other 10 Commandments are MORAL laws not ceremonial. The differences are descibed in the linked post above. God's MORAL law give us a knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong and sin and rightouesness and are our duty to God and our fellow man.

God's 4th Commandment SABBATH is also a MEMORIAL of CREATION and a HOLY day that GOd has commanded his people to set aside in REMEMBRANCE of the God of creation.

I BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD. God's SABBATH is the 4th Commandment of the 10 Commandments that give us a KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is if broken (ROMANS 3:20) If we break any one of God's 10 Commandments we stand guilty before God of sin (James 2:11).

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus taught the SABBATH (4th Commandment) and followed it as did the Apostle and God commands it to be kept, what does it matter if you believe the above. What you have posted above is not true however as all the Apostles taught obedience to ALL of God's 10 Commandments in the NEW TESTAMENT. God's 4th commandment is one of the 10 Commandments so all the Apostles taught obedience to the SABBATH just as Jesus and all the Apostles kept the Sabbath and all the Commandments for our example through faith in God's Word.

God's original command:
21This is what the LORD says: Take heed for yourselves; do not carry a load or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. 22You must not carry a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath day, but you must keep the Sabbath day holy, just as I commanded your forefathers.…

Jesus' revision:
8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”

Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” 18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

19 Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. 21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it. 22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath! Only God himself could and did redefine what was lawful to do. There is no way anyone can honestly read this and say Jesus kept the law as God (Jesus, Father and Spirit) originally spoke it. He deliberately changed the rules and told us what the true purpose of Sabbath was. It was made for man's benefit:

27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

What is he saying? Read it as it is without imposing what you have been taught by your church onto the text. He is saying that he is God and God can change his laws.

What about Paul and the Apostles?:

Acts 15:19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.
22 Then the apostles and elders, with the whole church, decided to choose some of their own men and send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They chose Judas (called Barsabbas) and Silas, men who were leaders among the believers. 23 With them they sent the following letter:

The apostles and elders, your brothers,

To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:

Greetings.

24 We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. 25 So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. 28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
Farewell.

Where does Paul tell Gentiles to be sure and keep Sabbath? He doesn't, because he did not want to make it difficult for them. Wow, Paul was a seeker sensitive pastor! I bet he would have even offered donuts at the back of the church if it brought more people in. But I digress. There is no evidence that Gentile Christians kept the traditional sabbath laws.
In fact, in Romans 14:5, he explicitly instructs them not to insist on sabbath keeping. This is such a beautiful passage about how not to be a judgemental hater of your brothers and sisters in Christ, I have to put it on:

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

I don't know how it could be any clearer, those who decide to keep Sabbath, do it for God only not to look good and don't force your sabbath views on others. Those who don't feel the need for it, don't judge those who do. Taking a day of rest and worship is good for the soul. But don't make a day your idol. Find time to be with God no matter what schedule you keep.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Through Jesus and the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, we have already entered the Kingdom of Heaven, though it isn't yet fully realized on this earth. The Kingdom of Heaven is both present and future for those who choose to accept Jesus' gift of grace.

It's a bit difficult to ominously threaten someone that they can't be a part of God's kingdom when they are already there. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's original command:
21This is what the LORD says: Take heed for yourselves; do not carry a load or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. 22You must not carry a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath day, but you must keep the Sabbath day holy, just as I commanded your forefathers.…

Jesus' revision:
8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”

Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” 18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

19 Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. 21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it. 22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath! Only God himself could and did redefine what was lawful to do. There is no way anyone can honestly read this and say Jesus kept the law as God (Jesus, Father and Spirit) originally spoke it. He deliberately changed the rules and told us what the true purpose of Sabbath was. It was made for man's benefit:

27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

What is he saying? Read it as it is without imposing what you have been taught by your church onto the text. He is saying that he is God and God can change his laws.

What about Paul and the Apostles?:

Acts 15:19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.
22 Then the apostles and elders, with the whole church, decided to choose some of their own men and send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They chose Judas (called Barsabbas) and Silas, men who were leaders among the believers. 23 With them they sent the following letter:

The apostles and elders, your brothers,

To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:

Greetings.

24 We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. 25 So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. 28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
Farewell.

Where does Paul tell Gentiles to be sure and keep Sabbath? He doesn't, because he did not want to make it difficult for them. Wow, Paul was a seeker sensitive pastor! I bet he would have even offered donuts at the back of the church if it brought more people in. But I digress. There is no evidence that Gentile Christians kept the traditional sabbath laws.
In fact, in Romans 14:5, he explicitly instructs them not to insist on sabbath keeping. This is such a beautiful passage about how not to be a judgemental hater of your brothers and sisters in Christ, I have to put it on:

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

I don't know how it could be any clearer, those who decide to keep Sabbath, do it for God only not to look good and don't force your sabbath views on others. Those who don't feel the need for it, don't judge those who do. Taking a day of rest and worship is good for the soul. But don't make a day your idol. Find time to be with God no matter what schedule you keep.

Hello Loren, nice to see you again.

Did you get my earlier post about staying home on the Sabbath in post # 471 linked? As this one seems a little unrelated? Did you wish to discuss this post now? Did you have any questions first in relation to my earlier post and can you see now that the scripture teach "going out" was in relation to working on the Sabbath not going out of your house for the sake of going out?

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello Loren, nice to see you again.

Did you get my earlier post about staying home on the Sabbath? As this one seems a little unrelated? Did you wish to discuss this post now?
Yes, I did. Although the verse does say not to leave your place, once I looked at context, I could see that it was that way for a time and a purpose, not as a regular Sabbath law, so thanks.
Other than that, I've pretty much said what I mean to say on the subject, anything else would just be to repeat and I can't keep up with the long posts anyway. I don't type that fast. God bless and have a good evening.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

That's the thing. No one is trying to insist that anyone here *not* observe a seventh day sabbath if that's what they feel called by God to do. It may very well be that observing a seventh day sabbath is indeed required by God...for *them*. The Holy Spirit does not convict everyone the same way though. We all have different ministries and different spiritual gifts and different ways of relating to God. One body, many members. What good would we be if we all tried to be left pinky toes?

In our relationships with other human people, do we relate to them all in the exact same way? No, so why would God, who made us all unique in his very own image, expect such conformity? He doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: Loren T.
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There are no "nine commandments" being commanded in the new testament either. The commandments that Jesus and the apostles refer to are specified very clearly and they simply do not include observing a sabbath day or circumcision or any other such rituals. They may talk about them at times, or even observe some of the Jewish rituals themselves if they are Jewish, but discussing is not the same as commanding others.

I reject your peculiar interpretation of the written word, not God's Word who is Jesus Christ, so the lamp and the Spirit are just fine on my end, but I thank you for your concern. :)

Correct there they are called the 10 Commandments which include God's 4th commandment (Exodus 20:1-17)

EXODUS 34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

DEUTERONOMY 4:13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

DEUTERONOMY 10:4 And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spoke unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.

You can find them all here in the NEW TESTAMENT..

GOD'S TEN COMMANDMENTS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

1 You shall have no other gods before Me.
It is written: You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only you shall serve. (Luke 4:8; Matthew 4:10; Revelation 14:7)

2 You must not make for yourself a carved image, a likeness of anything in heaven, on earth, or under the sea.
God is Spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth. (John 4:24; Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9; Ephesians 5:5; 1 Peter 4:3; 1 John 5:21; Revelation 2:14)

3 You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain.
(1 Timothy 6:1, James 2:7)

4 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. (Mark 2:27-28, Hebrews 4; Matthew 12:8; Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56(Mark 2:28; Matthew 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelations 1:10
Is binding on all mankind today COL 2:14-17 THE REAL TRUTH THREAD (Linked)

5 Honour your father and mother.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. (Ephesians 6:1; Colossians 3:20; Matthew 15:4; Matthew 19:19)

6 You shall not murder.
I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:44-45; Matt. 5:21-26; Romans 13:9; 1 Timothy 1:9; 1 John 3:15; James 2:11; Matthew 19:18)

7 You shall not commit adultery.
I say to you whoever even looks at another in lust has already committed adultery in their heart. (Matthew 5:28, 1 Cor. 5:11, 1 Cor. 6:18, Galatians 5:19, Hebrews 13:4, James 2:11, Matthew 19:19, Romans 13:9)

8 You shall not steal.
Neither thieves, the greedy, or drunkards and robbers will inherit the Kingdom. (1 Corinthians 6:10, Romans 2:21, Mark 7:21, Ephesians 4:28, Romans 13:9, Matthew 19:18)

9 You shall not bear false witness.
For by your words, you will be justified and by your words you will be condemned. (Matthew 15:19, Ephesians 4:25, Col. 3:9; Matthew 19:18, Romans 13:9)

10 You shall not covet your neighbours possessions.
Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist of the things he possesses. (Luke 12:15, Romans 7:7, Ephesians 5:3, 1 Tim. 6:10, Hebrews 13:5, Romans 13:9)

Yep looks like there is a lot of scriptures here and we have not even looked at all the scriptures in the NT on the 10 commandments on which the 4th commandment is one of the ten.

A FEW MORE SCRIPTURES HERE

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has lead many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

Sorry bekkilyn, seems God's WORD disagrees with you.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's the thing. No one is trying to insist that anyone here *not* observe a seventh day sabbath if that's what they feel called by God to do. It may very well be that observing a seventh day sabbath is indeed required by God...for *them*. The Holy Spirit does not convict everyone the same way though. We all have different ministries and different spiritual gifts and different ways of relating to God. One body, many members. What good would we be if we all tried to be left pinky toes?

In our relationships with other human people, do we relate to them all in the exact same way? No, so why would God, who made us all unique in his very own image, expect such conformity? He doesn't.

Hello bekkilyn, God is calling his people in all churches to have a closer walk with him. You may not realise it but SIN will keep all who knowingly practice it out of God's KINGDOM.

May I ask you an honest question?

If someone is living a life of KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN are they in a saved state before GOD or an UNSAVED state before God and will they enter into God's KINGDOM?

The honest answer to this question will help with this discussion as Jesus is calling all his Sheep to come out from following man made traditions that break the Commandments of God so that we can have a closer walk with him * Matthew 15:3-9

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has lead many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God?
Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I did. Although the verse does say not to leave your place, once I looked at context, I could see that it was that way for a time and a purpose, not as a regular Sabbath law, so thanks. Other than that, I've pretty much said what I mean to say on the subject, anything else would just be to repeat and I can't keep up with the long posts anyway. I don't type that fast. God bless and have a good evening.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Post # 471 linked was posted with the suporting scriptures to show that the CONTEXT the first scripture you posted from Exodus 16:29 was in relation to going out working on the Sabbath. The meaning of the scripture has always been the same. The CONTEXT of this scripture is in reference to working on the Sabbath. It always has had the same meaning because God's people in the OLD Testament always either stayed at home or went out to Worship God collectively on the Sabbath they even held sin offerings on the Sabbath in the Sanctuary. (Leviticus 23; Numbers 28:9). So the scripture you quoted in Exodus 16:29 was never a reference to stay home for the same of staying home, but not to go out to work on the Sabbath (go out and collect mana on the Sabbath).

Did you have any more questions about post # 471 linked? Did you wish to discuss your longer post which I have not got to as yet?

May God bless you as you seek him in his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
None of those verses are a command to observe a seventh day sabbath in the new testament.

I see so in your view there is no 4th Commandment. It is invisible and Jesus taught an invisable commandment in the NEW Testament and there are only 9 Commandments in the 10 commandments that Jesus, Paul, James, John all taught about? Sorry bekkilyn, God's WORD disagrees with you.

God's 10 Commandments which includes God's 4th Commandment gives a KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is. If you break any one of the 10 Commandments which includes God's 4th Commandment. You stanf guilty before God of sin. (Romans 3:20; 7:7; James 2:11; 1 JOHN 3:4)

bekkilyn, Did you see my post in post # 495 linked, You seem to have ignored it.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Hello bekkilyn, God is calling his people in all churches to have a closer walk with him. You may not realise it but SIN will keep all who knowingly practice it out of God's KINGDOM.

May I ask you an honest question?

If someone is living a life of KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN are they in a saved state before GOD or an UNSAVED state before God and will they enter into God's KINGDOM?

The honest answer to this question will help with this discussion as Jesus is calling all his Sheep to come out from following man made traditions that break the Commandments of God so that we can have a closer walk with him * Matthew 15:3-9

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has lead many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God?
Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

Was Jesus in known unrepentant sin when he chose to break the sabbath?

I have full assurance through the Holy Spirit of my salvation. Do you?

Jesus isn't interested in which day someone goes to church. What he wants is relationship, and if you're in that relationship, then it's pretty difficult for someone to talk a person out of it with threats of lawkeeping. "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38-39

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I see so in your view there is no 4th Commandment. It is invisible and Jesus taught an invisable commandment in the NEW Testament and there are only 9 Commandments in the 10 commandments that Jesus, Paul, James, John all taught about? Sorry bekkilyn, God's WORD disagrees with you.

God's 10 Commandments which includes God's 4th Commandment gives a KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is. If you break any one of the 10 Commandments which includes God's 4th Commandment. You stanf guilty before God of sin. (Romans 3:20; 7:7; James 2:11; 1 JOHN 3:4)

bekkilyn, Did you see my post in post # 495 linked, You seem to have ignored it.

Jesus did not teach the 4th commandment in the new testament. He mentioned it in the context of other points he was trying to make, but did not teach it as a requirement or command. The command is not anywhere in the new testament or someone would have been able to quote the specific verse long before now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.