• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The King James Bible

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Split Rock, Dec 9, 2011.

1. CabVet

CabVet Question everything

+150
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    All of the empires I mention controlled a larger proportion of the human population than the British.

2. Herman Hedning

Herman Hedning Hiking is fun

+1,063
    Humanist
    That sounds very unfullfilling. Is the whole existence in heaven one big Sisyphos task then?

3. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Oh -- what's your point?

The British Empire at one time was the largest empire on the face of the earth.

Case closed, eh?

4. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    If you meant 'Sisyphean task' -- no.

5. Herman Hedning

Herman Hedning Hiking is fun

+1,063
    Humanist
    But that was only true during a fairly short period in history during the 19th century.

6. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Oh.

7. CabVet

+150
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    Nope, case not closed, the British Empire was never larger than the Roman, Mongol, Chinese, in terms of proportion of the population of the earth that it ruled. It was only the largest in land area, that is all. English was never spoken by a majority of people on earth.

8. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You can talk yourself out of understanding if you want, suit yourself; but I don't believe the Romans, Mongols or Chinese held the distinction of being the largest empire on the face of the earth at one time.

9. CabVet

+150
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    Let's ignore the facts a bit more, shall we, here is the % of the world's population ruled by each empire:

Roman: 40%
    Chinese Dynasties: 20-36%
    Mongol: 26%
    British: 20%

10. OllieFranz

OllieFranz Senior Member

+321
    Christian
    Private
    No, it wasn't. Not in population, and not in area. It is true that it covered almost every time zone so that "the sun never set," but that was mostly islands and coastlines, not very much inland. Briefly, under Victoria Regina, Canada gave it land mass, and India gave it population, but it still was not the largest by either measure.

11. dad

dad On the winning side Supporter

+1,179
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Seems to me that when dealing with men, one must work with errors. Errors help teach many people stuff. Errors were made by all men, even apostles, and all things work together for good anyhow.

But the errors of men in this case apparently did not prevail. I don't see any version that says commit adultery.

I like the KJV and if I find out that some chapter had a bit of stuff added to it, like in Mark or something, I can live with that. Maybe they were inspired even in the compiling etc...

12. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    Wow, dad. this is actually a very reasonable, sane view of scripture. Congratulations! :wave: :clap:

13. Split Rock

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    I think you mean "sets," buddy. Although I have to agree that the sun never sits on the British empire, either! LOL.

There really is no plausible reason to believe that they speak english in heaven, though. Wouldn't everyone simply understand everyone else, no matter the language they spoke?

14. selfinflikted

selfinflikted Under Deck

+735
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I think if there were a heaven, vocalised communication would be.. tedious. I'm pretty sure everyone would be a telepath. It's heaven, after all. Right?

15. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Mamma mia -- :doh:

I don't believe I said that.

Well, on second thought...
    Ai yi yi -- I need to slow down and type, eh?
    But you don't have a plausible reason they speak anything in Heaven, right?* so English is just a what? strawman?
    Of course.

* Since, in your opinion, Heaven doesn't exist?

16. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Wikipedia disagrees.

17. Split Rock

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    In my opinion, it is very unlikely that heaven exists. I was treating it as a hypothetical.

18. Split Rock

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    Looks like he was right percentage wise at least. But, the amazing thing about the British empire was the size of the British population. Great Britian was a tiny country with a relatively small population, yet look at the size of the empire they created. That is what is impressive to me.

19. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You guys keep bringing up 'population'.

How much of the world spoke English in 1611? yet we believe the AV1611 is meant for everyone.

And for the record, 100% of the world spoke English at one time -- in my opinion.