AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You guys all got it wrong. Everybody spoke russian.

Are you sure it wasn't French? ;)

most-interesting-man-in-the-world-demotivational-poster-1245215361.jpg

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quite frankly, things like these are what turn me off to Christianity...
Ain't that too bad? you must 'turn off' easily.

How many times in your life have you been 'turned off'?

It's a pity I can't give my 2¢, and clearly say it was my 2¢, without turning someone off.

I'd hate to see what a quarter's worth would have done.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ain't that too bad?

How many times in your life have you been 'turned off'?

It's a pity I can't give my 2¢, and clearly saying it was my 2¢, without turning someone off.

I'd hate to see what a quarter's worth would have done.

Great evangelization strategy! :thumbsup: Do you realize some people might come here seeking honest guidance?

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In my opinion, yes -- ^_^
English is a West Germanic language.

LINK: "It was formed from Proto-Germanic, which is also the ancestor of German, Dutch, Swedish, Faroese and many others. Sometime in the first millennium, speakers of some closely related Germanic dialects settled in the east of Britain. It's not exactly clear when this happened. Certainly a few came over as Roman mercenaries, and many came over after the Romans left in the 5th century. Some believe that there were considerable settlements in Eastern Britain even before then, however. It's all a bit uncertain. These people came to call their language English (though they spelt it Englisc at first), after the Angles, one of the tribes. So was this when it was first spoken? Kind of. But remember that these tribes had all come over from mainland Europe, leaving behind other members of their tribes, who spoke the same group of dialects. It's rather like asking when American English started to be spoken: at what point did it stop being the same English as the inhabitants of England spoke?

All we can really say is that eventually the Germanic language spoken in Eastern Britain came to be very different from the Germanic languages back on the continent. Influence from Danish (through the Vikings) and French (through the Normans) increased the differences manifold."

In other words, your opinion is... wrong. English formed AFTER the Bible was written.

Another fail.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Great evangelization strategy! :thumbsup: Do you realize some people might come here seeking honest guidance?
They'll get it too, won't they?

I'm sure someone seeking honest guidance wouldn't be asking questions like, "What language did Adam speak?", or "Where did the Flood waters go?"

Perhaps they'll see you guys ridiculing and venting and get some honest guidance as well?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
English is a West Germanic language.
What does West Germany have to do with Genesis 1-3?

I'm sure if someone would have said they think Adam spoke Hebrew, someone would say Hebrew didn't come along until Genesis 12, and so on and so forth.

What makes my assumption any better than yours?

What language do you think Adam spoke?

I have a feeling you won't answer this, because you don't want to be ridiculed as well; or am I wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What does West Germany have to do with Genesis 1-3?

I'm sure if someone would have said they think Adam spoke Hebrew, someone would say Hebrew didn't come along until Genesis 12, and so on and so forth.

What makes my assumption any better than yours?
Wow... you don't get it do you? English didn't come about until will into the first millennium. That means the Bible was already written. That means anyone who was already dead in the Bible could not have been speaking English.

My "assumption" isn't an assumption. I'm not assuming anything. I'm telling you a fact. English wasn't around yet and the Bible was already written saying that Adam was dead and dust. That's why it's better than your assumption. Which is impossible.

What language do you think Adam spoke?

I have a feeling you won't answer this, because you don't want to be ridiculed as well; or am I wrong?
I don't believe that Adam existed at all. So I doubt he spoke anything.

As to ridicule? Please... like that hasn't happened before.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They'll get it too, won't they?

I'm sure someone seeking honest guidance wouldn't be asking questions like, "What language did Adam speak?", or "Where did the Flood waters go?"

Perhaps they'll see you guys ridiculing and venting and get some honest guidance as well?

They won't ask those questions, you are correct, but they will ask "Evolution versus Creation" and Google will have some of these threads on its top results. And when they click, what they will see is "Adam and Eve spoke English", or "English is the language spoken in Heaven", or "KJV1611 is the only true Bible", and that will turn them off just like it turns me off.

I haven't been in this forum for long (lurked a few months, started contributing about a week ago), but I did not yet see "we guys" ridicule anybody for their religious beliefs (exception being DJJ because most of his stuff is just ridiculous). What I do see is rational people trying to tell you that evolution does not tell you how life begin, or that evolution is not random, or that evolution is science (as opposed to religion), and every time our arguments are rebutted with something like "because God said so" or "because I said so".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow... you don't get it do you?
Yes, I do get it -- a lot better than you do.
English didn't come about until will into the first millennium.
Says who? you?

What you're saying to me is: English didn't make a reappearance until well into the first millennium.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I do see is rational people trying to tell you that evolution does not tell you how life begin,
No, you didn't see 'rational people trying to tell me that evolution does not tell us how life began'; and in fact, I've been saying that here for years.

In fact, one of the first things I ever learned here -- if not the first -- was that evolutionism separates abiogenesis from evolution; and the two have nothing to do with each other.

That was almost six years ago.

So you must have me confused with someone else.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You have got to be kidding.
Like I said, then you tell me what language you think Adam spoke; and if you don't believe Adam ever existed, then I won't even consider the validity of your point, as it renders the point a strawman (or red herring).

Upvote 0