• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The King James Bible

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Split Rock, Dec 9, 2011.

1. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    That's okay, Mark -- no need to apologize.

Like I said, it's pretty avant-garde and I welcome your opinon!

If I don't talk to you again, I pray you and yours have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    So, God's Inerrant and Unchanging Word changes with the flavor of the month??

3. Split Rock

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    And once again we see that you guys believe whatever you want to believe and not what makes sense to believe. Its really just a matter of convenience. Then you tell us its "Truth."

4. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Does that sound like I'm telling you it's 'Truth'?

5. Split Rock

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    So its not the Truth? Is Verbal Plenary Inspiration the Truth? Because the way I see it, its all part of the same convenience package.

6. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You lump verbal plenary inspiration in with a point that I clearly said was my 2¢ worth?

And a doosey of 2¢ at that?

SOURCE

7. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,097
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Oh, so your only interested in the epistemology. I think what you are asking is how can I 'know' truth, the literal meaning of 'science'. I don't know what you think is so convenient about the 'truth' of God as revealed both in nature and the New Testament. The wrath of God is not what I would call, 'convenient'.

Do you really think that Christians are simply consoling themselves with the Scriptures over the fear of death or some such? There is a living history there that perhaps your not meant to understand, or perhaps you deliberately ignore the truth right in front of you. This guy did:

"What is truth?" Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him. (John 18:38)​

He could see the innocence but could not find justice, I sometimes wonder if he wasn't asking what good is it to know if you can't do anything about it.

Anyway, this whole thing is philosophical, not religious not scientific. We might actually accomplish something in these discussions if you would accept that obvious fact and drop the fallacious death by a thousand quips.

Have a nice day :)
    Mark

8. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,097
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Well, the history of the early translations of the Bible into English is very interesting. If you check into it William Tyndale had translated most of it by the time the Protestants got together in Geneva, the Geneva Bible is based on his work.

A very Merry Christmas to you as well. If you have the patience for the Elizabethan style of the KJV I say more power to you. ;)

Grace and peace,
    Mark

9. Split Rock

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    Yes, I do. I never said you invented V.P.I., nor did I claim you were alone in believing it. You are just taking the convenience package a little further than most do.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  10. Split Rock

+647
    Agnostic
    Single
    It's not about quips or epistemology. It's about an attitude toward scripture that is based on taking the easy way. How many times have creationists here posted, "well if the bible isn't all literal, how are we supposed to know which parts are literal and which are not?" Sorry if it isn't easy for you guys. One thing you can do, is not interpret scripture in a way that contradicts reality. If that makes things harder, than too bad. I see V.P.I. as an institutionalized method of taking the easy way. If everything in scripture is as if written down by God himself, then that takes a lot of the difficulty of interpreting it out, doesn't it? But that's not reality. The bible is, at best, man's reflection of an imperfect understanding of God. The problem you guys have with that is that it leaves too many grey areas for you. You want black and white... right and wrong... good vs evil. That's why you impose this straight-jacket of divine inerrancy on scripture. Despite the simple fact it is a work of Man, not God.. and no work of Man is inerrant.

And that's my two cents.

11. Jazer

Jazer Guest

+0
    English was the language of the Anglo-Saxtons not the British. The British was a very small group of people. But when the Romans were in England they defended the country for the British. Then when the Romans left the Anglo Saxtons moved in and took over the country. Later on Normans moved in also.

12. CabVet

CabVet Question everything

+150
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh, and that's why it's the language spoken in heaven? It's Anglo Saxon by the way, not Saxton. Catholics (which I think are also Christian) seem to think Latin is the language spoken in heaven.

13. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    So? what language do you think is spoken in Heaven?

14. Cabal

Cabal Well-Known Member

+452
    Atheist
    Engaged
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
  15. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Interesting, to say the least.

I still go with English though.

Some people believe that the King James English is not any language ever spoken on earth -- not even in Shakespeare's plays, and that that is the language we will all speak in eternity future.

My pastor believes we will spend all eternity studying the King James Bible under the tutelage of Jesus Christ, and still never be able to comprehend It totally; which would require the attribute of omniscience, which only God possesses.

16. Delphiki

Delphiki Well-Known Member

+138
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I love the renaissance fair, but I don't think I want to live there for all eternity.

17. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You won't.

18. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    My, my, my -- and all I said was that I believe Adam spoke a language that later came to be used by the largest empire on the face of the earth -- you know, where the sun never set?

Then someone goes haywire and starts yakking about guns and tanks?

I wonder who the real ding dong is, eh?

19. CabVet

CabVet Question everything

+150
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others
    The largest empire on the face of the earth? You mean the Roman Empire? The Mongol Empire? Or one of the Chinese Dynasties?

20. AV1611VET

+40,415
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    The British Empire, chief -- the sun never sits on the British Empire.