Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just thought I'd pass the word (small not capitolized!) about the cover article of National Geographic's Dec 2011 issue: "The King James Bible. Making a Masterpiece." I have the issue, but haven't read the article yet. We can all read it and then discuss!
Atheists have their King James Version as well -- did you know that?

The AV2012 McGraw-Hill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Atheists have their King James Version as well -- did you know that?

The AV2012 McGraw-Hill.

Psst -- it's "capitalized".

Really now... was that necessary? I haven't done much more (yet) than skim through the article, but there didn't seem to be anything derogatory about it... quite the opposite.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really now... was that necessary? I haven't done much more (yet) than skim through the article, but there didn't seem to be anything derogatory about it... quite the opposite.
Sorry -- it's fixed now.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
OK. Finished reaing the article.. a few interesting tidbits:

1. The Geneva bible was the most popular in England before the KJV, but was very anti-royal. King James VI wanted a version that was of similar quality, but not anti-monarchy.

2. One of the purposes of the KJV was to produce a bible that was accessible to everyone, "even of the very vulgar." A very Protestant idea.

3. The number of idiomatic phrases we get from the KJV is quite startling. Everything from "fell flat on his face," to "the skin of my teeth."

4. It was a massive scholarly enterprise... 54 scholars of all types and expertise arranged in six subcommittees.

5. The first printings were wrought with errors, such as "Thou shall commit adultery."

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,053.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK. Finished reaing the article.. a few interesting tidbits:

1. The Geneva bible was the most popular in England before the KJV, but was very anti-royal. King James VI wanted a version that was of similar quality, but not anti-monarchy.

2. One of the purposes of the KJV was to produce a bible that was accessible to everyone, "even of the very vulgar." A very Protestant idea.

3. The number of idiomatic phrases we get from the KJV is quite startling. Everything from "fell flat on his face," to "the skin of my teeth."

4. It was a massive scholarly enterprise... 54 scholars of all types and expertise arranged in six subcommittees.

5. The first printings were wrought with errors, such as "Thou shall commit adultery."

How could they have errors if the Translations were Divinely inspired?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm, so human error can be a factor in the content of a holy book. Interesting.
Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psalm 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

God's word is compared to refined silver.

It is melted, and the dross comes to the surface and is skimmed off.

The King James Bible that we read today is the KJV, 5th edition.

As Gail Riplinger puts it, God created a diamond in 1611, then polished it five times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would think that anything God created wouldn't need polishing.
This would be true if God wrote the King James Bible with His own hands; instead, He used fallen man to write It.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And it took him 4 more tries to get it fixed?

Not much of an editor, your god.
Okay, Tinker, enough's enough.

The negative effect your atheism is having on your ability to understand is showing.

If you're really serious in learning, you can familiarize yourself with verbal plenary inspiration; then learn the difference between inspiration, preservation and translation.

You won't fully understand, but you'll come close enough (I hope) that you won't need further clarification.

Upvote 0