✟257,846.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
J

Jazer

If anything, I am further from religion today than I was when I started reading his posts :)
Then he is being effective. God wants people in or out. He does not want luke warm fense sitters. It may come as a surprise to some people that God is knocking at the door.

“I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,[b] I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

Some diamond this is, very pretty indeed:
"This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." Deuteronomy 21:18-21.

There is no record of anyone ever stoning their son. But you may want to look into this story:

32While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp.” 36So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the Lord commanded Moses. Numbers 15

This is the law & we live in the Age of Grace. Jesus said "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." He also said: "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,438.00
Faith
Atheist
Then he is being effective. God wants people in or out. He does not want luke warm fense sitters. It may come as a surprise to some people that God is knocking at the door.

God is also not willing that any should perish. It isn't enough or obedient to merely push them off the fence; you gotta push them to the right side.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

If your dispensationalism is really a sound Christian principle, I can use it to completely dismiss the 7 day creation myth (just like you use it to dismiss the parts of the Bible you don't agree with).
How can that be when there are seven dispensations?

Actually dispensation can mean an age or an era. The geological ages are dispensations depending on where you fall on the uniformism vs catastrophe discussion. What some call punctuated equilibrium commonly contrasted against the theory of phyletic gradualism.

OEC people have no problem getting those 7 days to line up with 7 geological ages or eras. TE's have no problem getting the 7 day creation to line up with Evolution. Again using a day to represent and age or era.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,438.00
Faith
Atheist
We were told that you help people to discover truth for themselves.
I do not know if it would do any good to push them.

You are told to make disciples of all men. Driving people away from God doesn't qualify as obedience to this command.

Paul said this:
1 Corinthians 9:19: “For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.”

Paul was far from deliberately alienating in his approach. Too many focus on getting the world to hate them in order to prove they are like Jesus ("If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you"). Somehow they miss the word If.

Perhaps the so-called witnesses here wish to win only those who can be polarized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So why the King James version? What changes did King James make that you feel makes the King James Version better then the version before King James changed the Bible?

I really do wonder the same thing. AVET likes to point to the continulty of the KJV with earlier versions, but then claims if there is a difference between the KJV and earlier versions, then the KJV is right by default.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So why the King James version? What changes did King James make that you feel makes the King James Version better then the version before King James changed the Bible?
I'll answer this question the way I've seen others answer it:

I don't think the King James is a better version, I think the King James is the only version.

To answer your question another way: I think God has specific versions for specific time periods.

The Geneva Bible, for example, was God's choice for the Pilgrims when they came to America.

Thus, had I have been a pilgrim, I would have been GBO, or Geneva Bible Only.

Had I lived in the 1400s, I would have been ASVO, or Anglo-Saxon Version Only.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really do wonder the same thing. AVET likes to point to the continulty of the KJV with earlier versions, but then claims if there is a difference between the KJV and earlier versions, then the KJV is right by default.
This is correct -- the King James Version is the default version for today.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is correct -- the King James Version is the default version for today.

We live in a time when we can access not only various excellent direct translations, but there are tools for exploring the originals. The KJV is a great translation but so was the Geneva Bible and the NIV. You should also take into consideration that the KJV has went through maybe 10 revisions since 1611. Have you ever tried to get an actual KJV 1611 in print?

It's considered 'canonical' in the original. I'm not crazy about the language of the KJV because the OT gets pretty cryptic even with a modern translation. I tend to prefer the NIV for OT history but NT doctrine just sounds better in the KJV. The 22 Psalm and Romans 6 are better done in the old King James, I mean I think so. Some other passages in places like Hebrews and Leveticus are more comprehensive in the NIV.

At any rate, that's my two cents worth

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We live in a time when we can access not only various excellent direct translations, but there are tools for exploring the originals. The KJV is a great translation but so was the Geneva Bible and the NIV. You should also take into consideration that the KJV has went through maybe 10 revisions since 1611. Have you ever tried to get an actual KJV 1611 in print?

It's considered 'canonical' in the original. I'm not crazy about the language of the KJV because the OT gets pretty cryptic even with a modern translation. I tend to prefer the NIV for OT history but NT doctrine just sounds better in the KJV. The 22 Psalm and Romans 6 are better done in the old King James, I mean I think so. Some other passages in places like Hebrews and Leveticus are more comprehensive in the NIV.

At any rate, that's my two cents worth

Grace and peace,
Mark
I understand your position; but I'm a Ruckmanite when it comes to the KJV; and in fact, I believe in some pretty avant-garde things when it comes to the KJV.

For example, I believe God's main language is English, and we are all going to speak English in Heaven; and I also believe they all spoke English, until the tower of Babel put a stop to the English language.

Moses therefore, would have had to have the assistance of translating the first part of the book of Genesis, which was written in English, into Hebrew -- (unless someone did it ahead of time, like Abraham).

And that's my 2¢ -- ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For example, I believe God's main language is English, and we are all going to speak English in Heaven; and I also believe they all spoke English, until the tower of Babel put a stop to the English language.

Absolutely amazing, not only Christianity is above all religions, but English is above all languages. Will it be spoken with an American or British accent?

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I know that Jesus says that He wants people to be either hot or cold, but you're reading way too much into that if you think that Jesus wants us to behave in a way that turns people against Christianity because of the way that we represent His faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Absolutely amazing, not only Christianity is above all religions, but English is above all languages. Will it be spoken with an American or British accent?
British, again in my opinion.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand your position; but I'm a Ruckmanite when it comes to the KJV; and in fact, I believe in some pretty avant-garde things when it comes to the KJV.

The Scriptures are canonical only in the original and the KJV is an excellent direct translation. I consider myself to be a pretty traditional Protestant Reformation Calvanist.

English was derived from European languages and God speaks in whatever language is required. In the OT it was Hebrew, in the NT it was Koine Greek and now it's in the power of the Holy Spirit. There is really no Scriptural support for English being God's language but I supposed everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Moses therefore, would have had to have the assistance of translating the first part of the book of Genesis, which was written in English, into Hebrew -- (unless someone did it ahead of time, like Abraham).

And that's my 2¢ -- ;)

No Scriptural support at all, sorry.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0