The Invasion of the German Board Games

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In a development that would have been hard to imagine a generation ago, when video games were poised to take over living rooms, board games are thriving. Overall, the latest available data shows that U.S. sales grew by 28 percent between the spring of 2016 and the spring of 2017. Revenues are expected to rise at a similar rate into the early 2020s—largely, says one analyst, because the target audience “has changed from children to adults,” particularly younger ones.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/01/german-board-games-catan/550826/

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is Ticket To Ride German, because Ticket To Ride sucks
In german, it's called "Zug um Zug". It's an intranslatable title because the German word "Zug" can both mean "train" and "game turn", with "Zug um Zug" also being a figure of speech for steady progress.

• Informative
Reactions: jardiniere
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
In german, it's called "Zug um Zug". It's an intranslatable title because the German word "Zug" can both mean "train" and "game turn", with "Zug um Zug" also being a figure of speech for steady progress.

Btw, I didn’t mean that Zug um Zug must suck because it’s German.

Zug um Zug is just a bit of a black mark on your country’s otherwise fine board gaming record, that’s all ;)

Personally, I’d call that game “If you want a load of random chance bollocks, just play snakes and ladders instead.”

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I’d call that game “If you want a load of random chance bollocks, just play snakes and ladders instead.”

I don't think there's much that's random in Ticket to Ride. There's no dice and the card drawing is only half random. You can choose to take revealed cards or draw randomly or a mixture. There's a little bit of randomness in every game - some more than others. But Ticket to Ride is not very random.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Btw, I didn’t mean that Zug um Zug must suck because it’s German.

Zug um Zug is just a bit of a black mark on your country’s otherwise fine board gaming record, that’s all ;)

Ah. I thought you just meant the title.

Never played it myself. I prefer more roleplay-like games like Descent. Or just play the real thing. But it's an interesting topic, and I feel it is a welcome break from the usual fare of this forums discussion.

Upvote 0

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still think the board games will get overrun by inventions like when you can easily turn your kitchen table to be a digital game board, add some holographic pieces whatever.

The set up, traveling , getting competing schedules to match for larger crowd that really good gaming experience needs is in the long run inconvenient especially when technology is getting better all the time.

How long until you can play D&D in VR with your select group while everyone is sitting on their own homes?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Still think the board games will get overrun by inventions like when you can easily turn your kitchen table to be a digital game board, add some holographic pieces whatever.

The set up, traveling , getting competing schedules to match for larger crowd that really good gaming experience needs is in the long run inconvenient especially when technology is getting better all the time.

How long until you can play D&D in VR with your select group while everyone is sitting on their own homes?
Actually, that is already possible with the game "tabletop simulator".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, that is already possible with the game "tabletop simulator".

Early days. Now refine that tech for 10 years and imagine why people would want to drag their grand strategy game with 1000 game markers and game board taking half a room around.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Early days. Now refine that tech for 10 years and imagine why people would want to drag their grand strategy game with 1000 game markers and game board taking half a room around.
For the same reason why people still read books in an age of kindles, and still go to concert when they can listen to their band on their MP3 player. Such developments rarely completely replace things, the old things just find new ways to coexist.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But it's an interesting topic, and I feel it is a welcome break from the usual fare of this forums discussion.
Plus you can bump the thread as soon as an American shoots another American over a board game.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Plus you can bump the thread as soon as an American shoots another American over a board game.
Nah, bump it yourself.
What's with these Germans and their invasions?
I find this martial rhetoric amusing. It's like an invasion of quality beer, or good cars, or horrible reality tv formats.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0