Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Heck you can do that on Roll20.net for free.

And if you upgrade for the massive $50/year, you get access to dynamic lighting, at which point the roll20 system is *better* than table top.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nah, bump it yourself.

I find this martial rhetoric amusing. It's like an invasion of quality beer, or good cars, or horrible reality tv formats.

Don't forget techno-pop with someone speaking in a monotone voice over it.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think there's much that's random in Ticket to Ride. There's no dice and the card drawing is only half random. You can choose to take revealed cards or draw randomly or a mixture. There's a little bit of randomness in every game - some more than others. But Ticket to Ride is not very random.

I find there to be much more randomness in Settlers than I do in Ticket to Ride. My issue with Ticket to Ride is that sabotaging/blocking other players rarely winds up being the best strategy - the best strategy is often just rushing to get your own stuff finished first. This is even more true in the European version where there are more alternate paths between cities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No newfangled boardgames can beat the classics: Chess, Backgammon, i-Go, etc.

We'll see if they are still around in a 1000 years.
I prefer games where a cellphone with the correct software doesn't beat the best human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I prefer games where a cellphone with the correct software doesn't beat the best human.
That is just because the software hasn't been written yet, or the element of chance that also comes into play in some of these games.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is just because the software hasn't been written yet, or the element of chance that also comes into play in some of these games.
Exactly. That's why I prefer an element of chance.

My favorite games are collectible card games. Between the fact that each player builds their own decks, the luck of the draw and the thousands of card interactions and special rules, AI has little chance.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. That's why I prefer an element of chance.

My favorite games are collectible card games. Between the fact that each player builds their own decks, the luck of the draw and the thousands of card interactions and special rules, AI has little chance.
I honestly don't see the qualitative difference.

All the areas of skill or acumen are equally susceptible to computer modelling - be it gameplay or deck design. If the computer loses on occasion, the fault was in its stars, not superior human ability. An advanced enough computer would still mostly mop the floor with us. Besides, Backgammon uses dice, so has an element of chance too.

Upvote 0