Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
* You can make decisions without considering another person. For example, you can move cities to get a job you want without restraints of considering another's job.

* You aren't spending as much money on going out on 'dates'

* You have more time to hang out with friends eg I have girly movie nights fairly regularly. When either of us have a boyfriend those are reduced in frequency.

* I got to choose my house without considering someone else's tastes (this would be more a marriage thing I think but you get the point)

Upvote 0

lozzie

Just me...
Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Wasn't there already a topic about this fairly recently?

oops yes there was... *sorry*

I don't normally look past the first page. And living on the other side of the world to most people here these threads are most active when I"m asleep... SO I'd never seen the thread

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the responces to this are likely to be coloured somewhat by negative aspects of past relationships - so I'll share some of mine:

- I no longer need to visit my sister in law or her family(excluding her parents who were wonderful people but have since died) - which was nearly always a trial

- Filtration mechanism of some of SO's thoughts, ie: true/untrue/generalisation/negative/gossipy no longer applies. I'm not so sure this is a positive because it ignores the good which balances the not so good

- Time - I have alot more of it to do what I want. It just happens to be a little too much.

- It's much easier to come to a balanced and honest appraisal of a relationship when you are no longer in it.

- I've come to more realisations about my life, my faith and my identity, along with a deeper dependence on God than I would have had I still been in a relationship.

- My decisions are solely my own to reap the benefits or consequences of.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I also do like the fact that I can do things without worrying about having to talk or consider someone else. At times that sucks, and other times it is fantastic, so for this thread, I'll keep it to the time it is fantastic. No worries about getting someone pregnant. The plans that I'll be making for my life revolve around what me and my family and not a woman, and when they do get involved with a woman it will be for a better reason. I don't have anyone thinking I'm weird for starting to go to the Eastern Orthodox Church, even with this one, the last person I was involved was amazing about dealing with my questioning nature and what I believed in back then regardless if she agreed with me or not. So hopefully that is at least a hope for the future because I have had a relationship where things like this become so big, that it becomes problematic so right now, it is a bonus being single...don't have to worry about the lady's comfortableness with my decision.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the responces to this are likely to be coloured somewhat by negative aspects of past relationships - so I'll share some of mine:

Some of mine are I'll admit and one is just not having to worry about the consequences of a specific action that at the time I had to worry about it, I wouldn't call that concern a negative or a positive...just a concern but I agree with you, many of our plus singlehood comes from bad experiences just as some of mine are.

Yet, when I got my case of Lionhead Beer today, I commented how in Ohio if your seen buying a case, its almost like your seen as having a drinking problem, but here in PA, your just someone who likes to drink because of the way the state deals with the sales of alcohol, so I'm just seen as norm, so I was just saying that in a different way with women...even though, I have heard concerns from women about my drinking. Thing is though, she was not bad or overbearing about it...she drank herself, so its right in the middle in the rating of good/bad experiences leaning towards the good because she was geniuely concerned and never made herself out to be better and trusted me, or at least I thought she trusted me with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zachflash

Jun 5, 2004
✟7,804.00
Faith
Methodist
This is a good topic, because I do indeed tend to focus too much on being single a lot but now that I think about it there are a lot of good things.

You have more money and more time to spend for yourself. There's also more time to focus on things that matter to you such as schoolwork . . . . and video games lol . . . along with other hobbies.

While I sometimes stress out about whether I'll have a girlfriend or not, I guess I would be much more stressed out during a relationship. The single life can be a opportunity on one's self focusing on how they can better build themselves physically, mentally, and spiritually.

All in all, we must be content with what we have, but it wouldn't hurt to have someone else to share it with. I pray for a soulmate, but I realize that I cannot expect God to leave me one at the doorstep. I just pray for the courage to follow the path He has set for me and to take the opportunities He has provided with a positive attitude.

Philippians 4:10-12

11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

* You can make decisions without considering another person. For example, you can move cities to get a job you want without restraints of considering another's job.

* You aren't spending as much money on going out on 'dates'

* You have more time to hang out with friends eg I have girly movie nights fairly regularly. When either of us have a boyfriend those are reduced in frequency.

* I got to choose my house without considering someone else's tastes (this would be more a marriage thing I think but you get the point)

On that note, you can have all the opposite-sex friends you want without your significant other asking questions.

Upvote 0