Alabama
✟35,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:28-- But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

I'm a single lady, I'm 26 this year. I've had several boyfriends in the past (but i'm still a virgin), but it never worked out. I've been single for around two years, and recently I've been thinking about boys a lot. not anyone in particular, just random people. I don't touch, and i don't watch inappropriate content, and when i say i think of these men, i don't mean sexually, but like, you know, just cuddling, all right fine, sometimes i do think of sex, but it's very rare, and when i think of a man sexually I don't touch. It's more of like a 'comfort thought'; I feel cozy and happy thinking of these things (89% thoughts about cuddling, 6% bringing him home to my parents, 5% sex) . But these past two days I've been getting a lot of 'messages' from the Lord, I think, and I feel that what I'm thinking of is sinful.

I use the Bible app (previously known as YouVersion), and I read the Daily Bread. I read them daily, no matter how busy my schedule. is. These past days, I've gotten the verse 2 timothy 3:16 and 1 John 1:9 from Our Daily Bread, and Proverbs 3:7 from the Bible app.

I was racking my brains, trying to figure out what was He trying to say, when I realised. I remembered the verse Matthew 5:28-- But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

What do you think of this? Does my situation and type of thoughts fit into Matthew 5:28? I was thinking, even if I wasn't thinking of those men with lust, they might be someone's husband. That means I'm thinking of cuddling with someone's husband. It's sinful isn't it?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

Well actually only some one can state what the verse states. People can not know in your mind what you were actually thinking, you can explain what you were thinking. But still people are not in the same position as God who is the only judge of sin and who is and who is not (sinning) when it pertains to mental thoughts.

Now if you were to lie about something that can obviously seen and that sin can be easily established.

But if you think you have sinned confess what you thought you did to God and you are forgiven. If it happens again confess your sin again. God is a God of forgiveness, so keep on asking for forgiveness. That is something believers will need to do their whole earthly life.

The Forgiveness of Sins – Grace Evangelical Society

Do We Need to Confess Our Sins in Order to Be Forgiven? – Grace Evangelical Society

What Is the Role of the Shed Blood of Christ in Forgiveness? Part 1 Did Jesus Actually or Potentially Take Away the Sin of the World? – Grace Evangelical Society

What Is the Role of the Shed Blood of Christ in Forgiveness? Part 2: If Jesus Actually Removed the World’s Sin, Are All Forgiven? – Grace Evangelical Society

What Is the Role of the Shed Blood of Christ in Forgiveness? Part 3: If Believers Must Confess for Forgiveness, Are We Out of Fellowship a Lot? – Grace Evangelical Society

What Is the Role of the Shed Blood of Christ in Forgiveness? Part 4: Do the Scriptures Teach That God Has Already Forgiven Our Future Sins? – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 5:28-- But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

I'm a single lady, I'm 26 this year. I've had several boyfriends in the past (but i'm still a virgin), but it never worked out. I've been single for around two years, and recently I've been thinking about boys a lot. not anyone in particular, just random people. I don't touch, and i don't watch inappropriate content, and when i say i think of these men, i don't mean sexually, but like, you know, just cuddling, all right fine, sometimes i do think of sex, but it's very rare, and when i think of a man sexually I don't touch. It's more of like a 'comfort thought'; I feel cozy and happy thinking of these things (89% thoughts about cuddling, 6% bringing him home to my parents, 5% sex) . But these past two days I've been getting a lot of 'messages' from the Lord, I think, and I feel that what I'm thinking of is sinful.

I use the Bible app (previously known as YouVersion), and I read the Daily Bread. I read them daily, no matter how busy my schedule. is. These past days, I've gotten the verse 2 timothy 3:16 and 1 John 1:9 from Our Daily Bread, and Proverbs 3:7 from the Bible app.

I was racking my brains, trying to figure out what was He trying to say, when I realised. I remembered the verse Matthew 5:28-- But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

What do you think of this? Does my situation and type of thoughts fit into Matthew 5:28? I was thinking, even if I wasn't thinking of those men with lust, they might be someone's husband. That means I'm thinking of cuddling with someone's husband. It's sinful isn't it?

If you were married .... would you have a problem with your husband "cuddling" with other women?

Cuddling, like all touch, is a form of intimacy .... goes beyond a simple hug and that can be easily perceived as something else .... lends itself to the temptation of going further ... and/or sending a signal that is not intended to be.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I consider the beatitudes to be a parallel passage to Romans 1-3.
His goal is not to put greater burdens on us than already introduced by the Law of Moses. He is simply showing us that despite the fact that you have never actually committed these sins, in your heart and flesh, you want to. It is the "want to" that identifies us as candidates for salvation by grace. I think of the beatitudes as the nail in the coffin for any attempt to be made righteous by the law.

You may not have ever actually murdered anyone, but the seed to do so is within you .
Matthew 5:21-22 KJV
21. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22. But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

You may have never actually committed adultery' but the seed to do so is within you.
Matthew 5:27-28 KJV
27. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28. But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

We could sum the entire priciple up with this one saying:
Matthew 5:48 KJV
48. Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

He is just pointing out what Paul later said:
Romans 3:19-20 KJV
19. Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Jesus was simply pushing the point. Even if you have not actually performed the sin, the "want to" is there, and so the sinfulness.

Romans 7:18-25 KJV
18. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25. I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Part of repentance is self realization. It is seeing in yourself the hopelessness and lostness. This is what Jesus and Paul were pressing. You are sinful, helplessly and hopelessly so. So come to God and be saved by grace through faith. His name is the only way!

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well, you haven't actually committed adultery, the act I mean, so you can quit worrying about that. But in your 'heart' is what Lord Jesus said, so why's that? Because it is LUST that can be the problem, because it can lead you into sin.

Per Genesis 3:6, the fruit of the tree was 'pleasant' to Eve's eyes, which helped her to sin.

1 John 2:16-17
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,
and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
KJV

So the problem you face is common to all peoples born in the flesh. It's our flesh causing it. And its main reason for existence is to insure the continuity of the human race. This also is one of the reasons God gave man the institution of marriage.

Now Apostle Paul said it would be better for us to NOT marry, because those who marry will seek the wishes of their husband (or wife), but that not everyone can stay single like Paul, and to keep our passions from burning with lust, one should marry.

So don't think what you are experiencing is not normal, for it is, the passions I mean. But if you choose to stay unmarried, you will need to find a way to keep your passions at bay. There have been some women that went off the deep end over this, because their passions naturally were so strong they just couldn't bear it anymore. Those should marry.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
As I've said in previous posts about this issue, I believe Jesus's words in Matthew 5 were intended to prevent self-righteousness, not promote rigid thought policing.

He said that his yolk is a light one, and trying to block every sexual thought/urge/deed/tingle as a man felt pretty darn heavy.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I've said in previous posts about this issue, I believe Jesus's words in Matthew 5 were intended to prevent self-righteousness, not promote rigid thought policing.

He said that his yolk is a light one, and trying to block every sexual thought/urge/deed/tingle as a man felt pretty darn heavy.
Sorry, but we cannot just steer around what He was revealing there. We can't make up excuses. He was giving the 'Spirit' of the matter, and that involves our 'spirit' as it battles with our flesh, like Apostle Paul also taught in Romans 7. Irregardless of how some liberal Bible versions today try to divert from teaching about our flesh, Paul in the Greek did not, and told it like it is. Words like 'humanity', etc., are designed to steer away from the Biblical truth about our flesh, i.e., that our flesh is NOT the real part of our person, but that our spirit with soul is, and it naturally battles with our flesh desires and lusts during this present world.

Upvote 0

inkaboutit

Apr 19, 2017
CA
✟9,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Matthew 5:28 is totally misunderstood by most all people and greatly taken out of context .

Mark 4:10 and Luke 10:21 must always be apply to all Jesus words because Jesus spoke one way to his close friend and totally the opposite to his enemies. Because of this you must know Jesus is talking to. Most of Matthew 5 is spoken to his enemies and it should be ignored because it is not to or for Christians but to his enemies who want to kill Jesus. All the verse around Matthew 5:28 are not to any Christians. They are only to Jesu enemies. Whenever they talk about the law it is coming from Jesus enemies and to be ignored by Christians.

Luke 10:21 At that time he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, because this was your good pleasure.

Mark 4:10-13

New International Version

10 When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11 He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12 so that,

“‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
and ever hearing but never understanding;
otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’[a]”

13 Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable?

Upvote 0