• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured The elect

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Michael Collum, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,869
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    The list the people in the prayer meeting would keep of people who are not saved, so they pray for their salvation, this became confusing when someone who was saved ended up on it. Lots of churches keep a list like that.

2. Michael Collum

+4,869
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Kindly elaborate :)

3. Michael Collum

+4,869
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I had a confusing memory so I threw it out there for theological discussion. Some of the "works for salvation" threads had a similar feel. So I wondered where the forum stood on this. Thank you for responding.

4. Michael Collum

+4,869
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Yeah I thought something was going on that wasn't right. Sometimes my memories of places come back and I just need to confirm it probably shouldn't have happened. Thanks for responding.

5. Michael Collum

+4,869
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    The passages indicate How God Chooses everyone who believes in Jesus. Since the narrative was written to an audience who wasn't there/eyewitnesses, it would seem to imply it applies to all believers.

6. SinoBen

SinoBen Active Member

+101
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    not all elect are saved :)

7. Michael Collum

+4,869
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Interesting,

I was curious what you meant. I read a number of things of "the chosen" over the years in the scripture. Could've went either way.

There's an angle that implies that the elect are really just a group chosen from among those who are saved. And the teaching that the elect are the saved, is causing people stress for no good reason.

8. SinoBen

SinoBen Active Member

+101
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Exactly... why posit a position that causes stress when you don't have to. The elect are a chosen group but some falls away. Israel is the chosen elect, but not all are "remnants".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Hammster

Hammster A-Atheist Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+19,998
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    It very much does. The elect, as you see it, is not His friend. He didn’t lay down His life for an idea.

10. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,801
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    "Idea" is something you are introducing into the discussion. In another post we discussed Exodus 32 and its relation to predestination. God was about to wipe out the Israelites -the elect- and replace them with the descendants of Moses. The meaning is that there were no elect individuals, only an elect group through whom God would fulfill His promise to Abraham.

11. Hammster

+19,998
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    However you want to categorize it, it’s the same thing. “Elect” is impersonal to you, so you cannot say that Christ laid down His life for His friends.

12. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,801
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    His friends have just as good a chance as anyone else.

13. Hammster

+19,998
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Wow. What a friend. :doh:

14. Hammster

+19,998
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
    29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
    30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. - Romans 8:28-30

Personal.

15. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Well-Known Member

+823
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Thlis question is understandable, but really, in scripture there can be found a thread to just about back up any theory about salvation, who is saved and who is not. We are told not to judge by Jesus for a reason, I think this thread, understandable as it is, point to why we should not judge.

Chrristianity is a tower of Babel at this time, so many, each with their bible, making up an arsenal to prove their point, against someone else with another set of quotes.

It is our human nature (sarx) to seek to have an in and an out group.....of course we all want to be in the 'in' group. I believe that God wills the salvation of everyone, to walk away from that isa choice made on a level that only God and the soul (at the time of death) knows.

Peace
    Mark

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Hammster

+19,998
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I guess you have a thread in scripture to back up that theory. ^_^

17. Residential Bob

Residential Bob Active Member

+272
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The elect appear to have been a remnant of Israel (Rv 7:4).

18. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+33,584
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You made the original claim so we await your exposition.

19. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 864511320 Supporter

+4,767
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    That's no more, or less, personal than Israel being God's chosen.

For thou art a holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be His own treasure out of all peoples that are upon the face of the earth.
    Deuteronomy 14: 2

"Now therefore, if you will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then you shall be a peculiar treasure unto me from all the peoples, for all the earth is mine"
    Exodus 19:5.

"And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you."
    Genesis 17:7

If I were to presume; I would presume that the Apostle Paul used the word 'elect' instead of 'chosen' intentionally because he was arguing against Judaizers. The subtle change was one of being inclusive of the Gentiles.
    Both are essentially referring to the same group with Gentiles being grafted in to believing, obedient Israel.

20. Hammster

+19,998
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    It is actually more. Just because Israel was God’s chosen people, it doesn’t minimize the personal language Paul uses. So you cannot dismiss one because of the other.