• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

The Demise of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by lasthero, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+2,266
    Atheist
    To spin is to lie.

2. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Some things are what they appear to be. The end product of "evolution" appears to be purposefully designed things.

3. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,274
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    That dog won't hunt. Too many evolutionists believe in God for that to make sense and too many creationists reject ID. No, ID is just bad science and bad theology.

4. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Then I take it back.

5. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    When I peruse anatomy books I see complex, elegant, purposeful design. I can't 'unsee' that. And although evolution is mentioned here and there they aren't riddled with evolutionary theory. One can focus on the organisms alone and draw unbiased conclusions.

6. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,274
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Complex and elegant I can understand. But how do you see purpose? What does it look like?

7. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I believe everything was designed, even rocks.

8. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    What it does is it's purpose.

9. Kylie

Kylie Defeater of Illogic

+3,472
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Then the term "designed" becomes meaningless, doesn't it?

10. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,350
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    That's because it's an emotional response.

It's similar to watching a movie or reading a book and having a positive emotional response to it. You can't "unfeel" that.

However, it's not something which is objectively demonstrable. You can't make someone else objectively enjoy something if they don't have the same emotional reaction.

Just like your claims that you see "complex, elegant, purposeful design" by reading anatomy books isn't objectively demonstrable. If someone else doesn't see the same design, they aren't going to think that biological organisms have that complex, elegant, or purposeful design.

(And let's be honest here, if life really were deliberately designed, there are a lot of questionable design choices. :p)

What you are suggesting is the opposite of unbiased. In fact, it sounds like the perfect example of confirmation bias.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  11. driewerf

driewerf a day at the Zoo

+322
    Atheist
    Married
    Correct. But you need to investigate for finding this out;
    Rightly so. And this is in direct contradiction with what you wrote earlier:
    Since the end products of evolution gives the appearance of design, design isn't obvious. You'll need to test this somehow.

12. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Rocks have design.

13. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    There's nothing especially emotional about studying anatomy books.

14. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Note that evolution was in quotes.

Design is often comprehensive, like the ability of a turtle to right itself through the most unnatural and awkward movements. Most organisms are able to gesticulate in ways unnecessary to normal functioning, including motions that may never be used. I don't think evolutionary development is that comprehensive.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  15. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,350
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    You've previously told us that you just go with gut feel on this stuff. Similarly you've appealed to "obviousness" in lieu of objective analysis when it comes to concluding design.

These are examples of emotional responses/arguments.

16. Warden_of_the_Storm

Warden_of_the_Storm Well-Known Member

+3,712
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    Yeah, we gathered that. You enjoy just being flippant, don't you?

17. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It was an in-kind response to an equally flippant post.

18. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,712
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    In what way and how do rocks have design?

19. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,712
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    Except his post wasn't flippant. Yours most definitely. His post was accurate too, in a very literal and technical way.

20. OldWiseGuy

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It's just the way I see it. No need for psychoanalysis.