• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

The Demise of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by lasthero, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+5,913
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Curiously, those who have devoted years to assimilating the works of tens of thousands of researchers are somewhat indifferent to the fatuous viewpoints of those who couldn't be bothered to put in the effort.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. driewerf

driewerf a day at the Zoo

+322
    Atheist
    Married
    Let me see
    1) when "evolutionary science" rejects design it destroys it's credibility, but when you reject the ToE it destroys...
    2) In the post you quoted I explained what I had expected. Evidence. but you deleted that in your answer.
    I also asked where you get your knowledge from. Since you know more about the ToE than anyone else you need to have gained some knowledge somehow. Your reply doesn't cover any of these points.

3. Astrophile

Astrophile Newbie

+1,151
    Atheist
    Widowed
    Do you understand how living things evolve, and how natural selection produces the appearance of design?

4. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,847
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    What is the "appearance of design"? If it quacks like a duck...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  5. OldWiseGuy

+7,847
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    So evolution is true...somewhere in the universe. o_O

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+7,039
    Atheist
    Single
    There may have been quite a few creationists that have honestly and fearlessly looked at the evidence. Those people simply accept it and move on. We are dealing with those that cannot do that here.

7. Subduction Zone

+7,039
    Atheist
    Single
    I am very sure that you do not understand the concept of evidence. If you did you would realize that there is no scientific evidence for ID.

8. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,444
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    It depends on what you mean by "design." a word with more than one meaning. In this case, do you mean "design" as intentionality? Or "design" as a functional arrangement of components?

9. OldWiseGuy

+7,847
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Intelligent design is obvious. No need to prove it in a laboratory.

10. OldWiseGuy

+7,847
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Both.

11. Subduction Zone

+7,039
    Atheist
    Single
    Sorry, but that is a losing argument. In fact it tells us the opposite is true. For example I could say that "gravity is obvious" but only because I can support that claim. I can name several tests for the concept.

And this tells us that you do not understand even the basics of science. Which is why I so often offer to politely go over the basics with those that lack this understanding.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,529
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    This is a contradiction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. driewerf

+322
    Atheist
    Married
    This is not an answer.
    The Intelligent Design proponents claim that ID is a theory. Let's be charitable for the moment and not dispute that claim. Anyway, "design" is not evidence.
    You claimed that you holded the ToE against some evidence and it didn't compute. So against what evidence did you hold the ToE? As I wrote earlier, I expect some data; the result of an experiment, a DNA sequence, an anatomical feature, anything. But "Design" will not do.

14. driewerf

+322
    Atheist
    Married
    "Appearance" is just the superficial outlook. The Sun appears to move across the sky. But in reality the motion is due to the rotation of the Earth. It took the effort to look beyond the superficial appearance to find that out.
    The continents appear to be fixed, but beyond the superficial appearance they move due to plate tectonics.

Look at this youtube video

Apparantly coins can vanish from a closed fist or appear out of thin air. Go through tables etc. But that's appearance. With a closer look this turns out not to be the case.

So you wrote correctly; there is an appearance of design. But scientists have been looking and are looking beyond the appearance. They probe reality if what appears to be really is that or way or if something else is going on. This requires knowledge, discipline, stamina, critical thinking. This requires tools and techniques like telescopes, microscopes, seismographs, Geiger counters, electrophoresis, X-ray crystallography, particle accelerators and so on.

So if you chose to limit yourself to the world of the superficial outlook, the appearance, that's fine. That's your choice. But don't tell me that that is all there is. I and we have seen beyond the veil.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  15. Warden_of_the_Storm

Warden_of_the_Storm Well-Known Member

+3,715
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    Not what he's saying at all, and you know it.

16. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,444
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Good, because design as intentionally cannot be demonstrated from design as functional arrangement of components.

17. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Member

+107
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Yeah just look at the watch sitting on the rock, it's obvious that the watch is designed when compared to the rock.

18. Kylie

Kylie Defeater of Illogic

+3,501
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    In what way is it obvious?

Tell me, what characteristics do we ONLY find in designed things that we NEVER find in things that weren't designed?

19. OldWiseGuy

+7,847
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Or maybe it's the one element that evolutionists can't face. If design is acknowledged there must be a designer.

20. OldWiseGuy

+7,847
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    But that's the way I spun it.