• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

The Demise of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by lasthero, Dec 15, 2019.

1. roman2819

roman2819 Author, "Understanding Prayer, Faith & God's Will" Supporter

+160
    Singapore
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I suppose is not a bad idea to share how my view of creation was formed from the same evidences that we all see, plus my interpretation of biblical version of creation.

God designed and populated the earth, from preparing the landscape to creating living creatures and humans. The creation certainly took much more than 6 days x 24 hours, it was more like hundreds or even thousands of years. After completion, some changes limited to sizes and appearances can happen as living things adapt to weather or terrain, but otherwise, humans and living creatures were created, not evolved.

In Genesis chapter 1 and 2, the word 'day' does not refer to 24 hours. Instead 'day' denotes a stage of time. The word 'day' is used because it fits the prose of writing in religious manuscript ie you use the word 'stage' in science text book, but for religious writing, you use 'day'. Without knowing this, there will always be a lingering doubt at the back of your mind -- even if you think that the word "day" is figurative, without knowing why the Bible use the word (will come back to this later).

Each 'day' or stage -- if measured in our concept of time today -- can be weeks, years or even thousands of years. Each 'day' is not equal, it probably took less time to create the atmosphere (day 3) than to create sea creatures (day 5).

Our mortality and technology today influence our outlook. Most people live up to 60 or 80 years. Our mortality limited our view : It is quite a stretch for us to think that God could take thousands of years for creation, we want it to happen fast, but we should appreciate that He is timeless.

From living in a world of movies and technology today, we tend to imagine that God used a kind of CGI to quickly cover the earth with trees in 24 hours, then caused thousands of sea creatures to swim the next day, and later, beamed down thousands of land animals. That can happen in a movie, but why would God be in such a haste?

Instead He took pride and pleasure in His workmanship. He made different varieties of shrubs and trees that convert CO2 to oxygen, plus flowers to beautify the terrain. He meticulously designed different kinds of creatures -- horses, chestahs, ant-eaters, giraffes, owls, parrots, frogs, hammer-head sharks, turtles ... to list onlyv10 of the 500,000 different species. God said the creation was good -- but we cannot even begin to appreciate these two words. Instead of using a magic wand, God demonstrated and applies art and science n the intricate process. He is not a machine churning out goods in mass production, instead He was very involved.

The overwhelming evidences of millions of lifeforms around us defy the odds that all these could come together so well without a creator..
    Did the creation take 100 years or 50,000 years? I don't know, but the overwhelming evidences of millions of well-made lifeforms is way too convincing to deny that there is God.

Fimally, to explain my interpretation of the word 'day' in Genesis: It is derived from understanding of languages, knowlege of various eastern orthodox beliefs, culture and religions, and knowing the use of words in religious contexts. The major religions such as Hindu, Islam, Buddhism, Chinese beliefs, judaism and Christianity are different, but they did have similar traits in thoughts and manner of writing.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Warden_of_the_Storm

Warden_of_the_Storm Well-Known Member

+3,715
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    ... say what?

3. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

+5,077
    Atheist
    Married
    But how were they made?

4. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,468
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Have you ever studied biology and/or biological evolution? Would you be interested in such study?

5. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,387
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    A blatant false dichotomy.

Appeals to "odds" without mathematics to back them up are vacuous.
    Many people understand it quite well.
    Not even implicitly. It only denies a shallow and theologically inadequate reading of Genesis.

Carbon dating is only reliable for up to 50,000 years. It is not the only dating method.

Yet you claim to be able to denounce it, even though you are not an expert.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,828
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Out of thin air (oh wait, thin air was made as well).

But seriously, science is trying to figure that out. I think they're getting close, but might not like what they find.

7. OldWiseGuy

+7,828
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Not really.

8. pitabread

+8,468
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Then you have no reason to get upset when others think your position is based on ignorance.

9. OldWiseGuy

+7,828
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    My position isn't based on ignorance. God doesn't hide a "pint of poison in a lake of truth."

10. Speedwell

+12,387
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Science finds what it finds. "Liking it" doesn't come into the picture.

11. Speedwell

+12,387
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Yet you admit to not having studied biology or biological evolution. What else is that besides ignorance of the subject?

12. pitabread

+8,468
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    By your own admission, you don't have an interest in studying biology. It really is a position based on ignorance.

That just sounds like an attempt to rationalize a position based on ignorance.

13. OldWiseGuy

+7,828
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I've perused some of it. Way too complex for me.

14. OldWiseGuy

+7,828
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Studying biology creates more questions than answers to me.

Actually it's based on the knowledge that God's word is true, affirmed by experience and observation.

I don't think one can argue that revelation isn't superior to education regarding the well-being of mankind.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  15. pitabread

+8,468
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    I find that's normal with knowledge acquisition. The more we learn, the more we realize how much we don't yet know.

It's a humbling experience.

Which sounds like further rationalization of a position based ignorance.

No matter how to try to spin this, you can't claim an opinion on biology isn't based on ignorance when you have no interest in the studying the same.

If the U.S. is anything to go by, higher religiosity is correlated with higher levels of social problems. Conversely, higher levels of educational attainment tend to be correlated with positive indicators.

But that's a different discussion altogether.

16. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+6,939
    Atheist
    Single
    Why acknowledge what no creationist can find evidence for?

17. OldWiseGuy

+7,828
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Not every hearer is a doer of God's laws.

18. pitabread

+8,468
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Then I guess revelation ain't all it's cracked up to be.

19. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+6,939
    Atheist
    Single
    It seriously looks as if you have not studied this. You have exhibited a lack of understanding of the topic. Instead it looks as if you were looking for reasons not to believe and the only way that one can do that is to try to keep oneself ignorant of aspects of the science.
    I am sorry, but once again you are working on belief and confirmation bias. Actual knowledge comes from proper testing of one's ideas, not by trying to get the facts to fit one's beliefs after the fact. "Revelation" has never been shown to even exist in the first place.

20. OldWiseGuy

+7,828
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    My way of thinking, and thus doing, has been very successful for me. The notion of evolution runs counter to my way of thinking. Creation on the other hand fits nicely with the way I think.