The Demise of Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I recently found a link that I've been trying to find for quite a while: the Demise of Evolution

Demise of Evolution?

It's basically a page that list a bunch of quotes from creationists over the years, stating how evolution is going to be a thing of the past. It's not much, but I always found it interesting to read. Thought I'd share.

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I recently found a link that I've been trying to find for quite a while: the Demise of Evolution

Demise of Evolution?

It's basically a page that list a bunch of quotes from creationists over the years, stating how evolution is going to be a thing of the past. It's not much, but I always found it interesting to read. Thought I'd share.

Thanks Iasthero

As you probably know we regularly get some Creationist newbie who rocks up and breathlessly announces that most scientists now disagree with evolution.

It reminds me of a famous quip by Mark Twain who, on discovering that a newspaper had printed his obituary, remarked that:

" The reports of my death have been highly exaggerated"
OB

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
As long as satan is free, evolution will be believed along with other scientific lies.

What a strange comment to make. I have been a Christian almost my entire life and a scientist for over 50 years and I have never witnessed a scientist telling a deliberate lie. I have seen a few who were wrong and when it was explained to them they readily retracted their mistake. I was about to say that scientists were more truthful than the POTUS but that would be to insult scientists. So I won't say that.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As long as satan is free, evolution will be believed along with other scientific lies.
Interesting how some creationists treat Satan as a kind of “get out of jail free” card that magically makes the problems with their position disappear.

Can’t mount a legitimate, evidence-based objection to evolution? Claim it is a deception from the devil. Problem solved.

How convenient.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,556.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Where's the lie?

I've seen the evidence presented by scientists in good faith. Many Creationists like to slander others (even their fellow Christians) as either liers, atheists or in leage with the devil. But don't often have much in the way of specifics.

Upvote 0

roman2819

Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Demise of Evolution?

Thanks for sharing that. I like the references to the 19th century.

The following is adapted from my book "Understanding Prayer Faith and God's Will" in which I say that evolution conveniently disregard the minute changes at cellular level that has to happen before a fish can evolve into a reptile, or before an living specie can evolved into the next level.

I once spoke to an acquaintance who believed in evolution. He claimed that simple life forms took millions of years to evolve into the complex diversities that we see today, which is the theory of evolution. It was proposed by Charles Darwin, who believed that life started by itself as the simplest basic cells. Over eons of time, they gradually evolved into more complex living organisms, and eventually into various kinds of life forms including plants and animals. With a view of the general landscape of living things and species, Darwin drew a “tree of life” diagram, and proposed that basic life forms evolved into more complex ones. If true, it would mean that at a very gradual pace, amphibians evolved genetically into reptiles, then to mammals, and finally into humans. But as to how the process could have happened, the theory did not offer any explanation of the intricate transformation at cellular level that would be necessary in order for evolution to happen.

When Darwin’s theory came about in 1860 AD, little was understood about cells. Science was not advanced and the use of anesthetics in medicine had just begun. Now, more than two hundred years later, with phenomenal progress in science and knowledge in the past century, microbiologists have found that even basic cells are not simple. Each unit – made of proteins, DNA and chromosomes – is in fact very complex and yet well organized; Darwin and his peers would have been astounded indeed if they had known this. Basic life forms such as amoeba appear “simple” only when compared to eagles, lions or salmon fish, for instances.

Today, modern discoveries come from research, improved scientific methodologies, plus precise and powerful laboratory equipment, which were not available during the nineteenth century. Scientists build facilities to smash atoms and measure the energy emitted by using sophisticated instruments. Having learned more about DNA, surgeons perform gene therapy. With our knowledge of “simple” cells with their intricate properties, it would be far-fetched to believe that they would be able to design and construct their own chromosomes in such an exacting manner. Today, there are still general postulations about how life might have started by itself and gradually evolved into the present state, but such loose and general hypotheses never attempt to explain the necessary DNA transformation that need to happen first.

Why then is there a case for creation? On earth today, so far, about 2,000,000 species of living creatures have been identified (which is only a conservative estimate), each with their own forms, functionality, instinct and intelligence. A spectrum of these would include 300,000 species of plants, 30,000 species of fishes, and 6,000 species of mammals. There are more species of invertebrates such as ground insects which live on land, as well as life forms that exist in the deep of the oceans. Could all these have emerged from “simple cells” that evolve entirely by themselves over millions of years? As we consider how trillions of living creatures live in a symbiosis manner in the ecosystems, one cannot help feeling that it would be mightily impossible for all these to have happened by themselves. When we look at the amazing diversity of life on earth, at the planets revolving around the sun along their set paths, and the regularity and rhythm in the universe, we have to wonder if there is more to it than meet the eyes. Can all these happen without a Designer who planned out the precise and intricate details?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
As we consider how trillions of living creatures live in a symbiosis manner in the ecosystems, one cannot help feeling that it would be mightily impossible for all these to have happened by themselves. When we look at the amazing diversity of life on earth, at the planets revolving around the sun along their set paths, and the regularity and rhythm in the universe, we have to wonder if there is more to it than meet the eyes. Can all these happen without a Designer who planned out the precise and intricate details?

Well frankly Roman I'm a little disappointed - I anticipated more. All those words, a book, decent grammar and no spelling mistakes (that I could see).

All that, and all we end up with is the tired old Argument From Incredulity. You also managed nicely to confound abiogenesis with evolution - a standard Creationist trope. (Hint: the Theory of Evolution doesn't depend on abiogenesis.)

Is this all there is Roman?
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well frankly Roman I'm a little disappointed - I anticipated more. All those words, a book, decent grammar and no spelling mistakes (that I could see).

All that, and all we end up with is the tired old Argument From Incredulity. You also managed nicely to confound abiogenesis with evolution - a standard Creationist trope. (Hint: the Theory of Evolution doesn't depend on abiogenesis.)

Is this all there is Roman?
OB
You forgot to mention strawman arguments, irrelevant asides and inaccurate assertions. Just more of the standard creationist fare.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You forgot to mention strawman arguments, irrelevant asides and inaccurate assertions. Just more of the standard creationist fare.

I was trying to be kind.

His initial paras were also a bit grammatically off base and his statement that
I once spoke to an acquaintance who believed in evolution.
was begging the question of whether he had seriously exposed his thinking to an alternative opinion.

I suspect we can send this particular Wunderkind to the failed bin and go back to waiting for the next ...
OB

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
All that, and all we end up with is the tired old Argument From Incredulity.

I find that when you boil it down, creationist arguments come down to either arguments from incredulity and/or awe. There doesn't seem to be a way to argue for creationism without resorting to an emotional argument.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....Can all these happen without a Designer who planned out the precise and intricate details?
If there is a creator, it looks like she created some basic rules and a distant, rudimentary starting point rather than every detail we see today.

Total detailed creation only makes sense as an attempt to salvage a literal reading of the creation myth. It doesnt at all conform the the physical evidence.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I fail to see how Satan has anything to do with a valid scientific theory that does not deny the existence of Hashem. I’ve read all of the scientific works of Darwin (talk about dry, tedious reading) and nowhere is there a conclusion that He doesn’t exist.

• Winner
Reactions: summerville
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I fail to see how Satan has anything to do with a valid scientific theory that does not deny the existence of Hashem. I’ve read all of the scientific works of Darwin (talk about dry, tedious reading) and nowhere is there a conclusion that He doesn’t exist.

Of course that would not start of with the big pronunciation that God does not exist, time will take care of that, which it has. Man being sinful from birth, all they need is just a nudge of an idea eventually they will replace God with something.

Science origins, especially beginning with the globe idea, are from pagans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Of course that would not start of with the big pronunciation that God does not exist, time will take care of that, which it has. Man being sinful from birth, all they need is just a nudge of an idea eventually they will replace God with something.
Please quote any scientific theory which says anything about the (non)existence of any god(s). Remember, you deny the existence of Zeus, Gaia, Vishnu etc. Where does science do that?

Science origins, especially beginning with the globe idea, are from pagans.
Where did the scientific ideas of medicine, warfare, agriculture and boat building come from? Surely God wouldn't use and condone satanic knowledge in his Bible?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Please quote any scientific theory which says anything about the (non)existence of any god(s). Remember, you deny the existence of Zeus, Gaia, Vishnu etc. Where does science do that?

Where did the scientific ideas of medicine, warfare, agriculture and boat building come from? Surely God wouldn't use and condone satanic knowledge in his Bible?

There is probably not a scientific theory that states there is no God.
But i was not saying that there was one, but what little i have seen about many of the major players in the science system. They sure like to boast of their atheism.

In The God Delusion, Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and that belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence.

That sure sound like something that has scientific overtones and i am sure he would not be as confident in his stance if it was not for science.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There is probably not a scientific theory that states there is no God.
But i was not saying that there was one, but what little i have seen about many of the major players in the science system. They sure like to boast of their atheism.

In The God Delusion, Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and that belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence.

That sure sound like something that has scientific overtones and i am sure he would not be as confident in his stance if it was not for science.
What about the 2nd part of my post? Where did the ideas of medicine, warfare, agriculture and boat building come from? God very strongly promotes all of those supposedly satanic ideas.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What about the 2nd part of my post? Where did the ideas of medicine, warfare, agriculture and boat building come from? God very strongly promotes all of those supposedly satanic ideas.

Not sue how favorably God looks upon modern medicine, many of the medicine methods cause more problems than they heal. I guess the major contribution modern medicine has been, is the diagnostic ability.

I know this it will not be modern medicine that is used by people on the new earth. To me that modern medicine goes with this fallen state of the earth now, it has its bad and also good points. Kinda matches the fallen state of man some truth mixed in with untruth.

Really in many cases modern medicine extends the life, so a person can suffer just a little longer.

Do you then believe Noah was scientist he built a boat.

So to you agriculture, warfare, boat building, medicine are the same as a person saying 50 million years ago this and this did this, that brought about this, which in turn brought about this. And we know this because a scientist says so because he looked at a fossil or a rock and the fossil/rock told him so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.