• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured The 10 weeks of Enoch, inspired or not?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by LittleLambofJesus, Oct 14, 2017.

1. No

21.7%
  2. Yes

47.8%
  3. I have read it, but have no opinion

8.7%
  4. I haven't read it

13.0%
  5. I intend to read it

4.3%
  6. I don't intend to read it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other

13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. YHWH_will_uplift

YHWH_will_uplift Well-Known Member Supporter

+362
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I'm not sure how the OP felt when reading 1 Enoch for the first time but, I felt scared to know what I would find. As I read it I felt like I was transported to a remote part of history. Actually when me and my wife read it together we spent days and weeks making sure that the content we were reading did not betray our current canon. Boy that was an amazing time...now I could never imagine reading the Bible without 1 Enoch or any of the other apocryphal and deuterocanonical books.

2. One Of The Elect

One Of The Elect Member

+79
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I agree with you. I love Enoch, God purposed greatness in him. God has put it upon your heart to share this. Thank you , God Bless.

3. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,501
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    Sounds good. May we assume, then, that the parts of "Enoch" that are important are those included in canonical Scripture, and those not included are not? If so, then we are in agreement.

Good points. Where was "Enoch", and in what form, until it surfaced some centuries after the presumed author had left?

4. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,754
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    If God wanted the Book of Enoch in the Bible it would have been in the Bible, especially when you consider that Enoch pleased God so much that God special-raptured him to avoid Enoch tasting death.

Another view is that the Book of Enoch is a book that could only be understood in these later days, and that is why it is being read and interpreted now.

I haven't read it but I wouldn't be averse to it, but I would go in with the mindset of treating it as the Apocrypha.

5. YHWH_will_uplift

+362
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    How many people have read 1 Enoch for themselves before vomiting foolishness? It is folly and a shame when one judges a matter before hearing it out to the end.

6. GUANO

GUANO Well-Known Member

+318
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Enoch definitely did not write it but I would still consider it inspired---perhaps not "authoratative". Jesus quotes the book of Enoch multiple times and the book has more prophecies about the coming of the kingdom of God than any other. Multiple sections had multiple authors and much of the book is about babylonian demonology.

7. YHWH_will_uplift

+362
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Care to cite your sources?

8. GUANO

GUANO Well-Known Member

+318
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    On which point?

9. toLiJC

toLiJC Senior Member

+221
    Non-Denom
    Private
    yes, it is inspired by the true God, but do we understand Scripture properly/correctly?!, because the systematic Bible reading alone has not been enough for the purpose

Blessings

10. YHWH_will_uplift

+362
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    That Enoch did not write 1 Enoch.

11. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth

+3,251
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    The fact that the Book of Enoch is still around and was included in the parchments found in the dead sea scrolls, is evidence enough for me that it was, and is, a very important and worthy book of text.

Who knows, maybe as more archeological evidence is found, a new council of God fearing, righteous seeking men will sit down, discuss it and eventually include it as canonical writing.

12. YHWH_will_uplift

+362
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Thankfully we don't have to wait until the majority of naysayers are convinced: what's important is are we convinced and can we prove in Spirit and in Truth that these contested books are inspired by God? If Jesus had to wait for the whole world to be convinced that He is the Messiah then none would be saved.

13. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,336
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  14. YHWH_will_uplift

+362
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I proved it you just want to ignore what I made clear. If something is unclear then point it out and I will make it clear. Otherwise you're in denial.

15. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,336
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  16. YHWH_will_uplift

+362
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    And prophecy is a part of scripture. Revelation (which is scripture) tells us that Jesus is the Spirit of prophecy.

17. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,336
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    All you have proven is you have an opinion, but just because you do have an opinion doesn't make that opinion correct, the Council you do not respect had the Authority, and they didn't include Enoch.

For all you know there could also be a laundry list of the person who hid the Scrolls, are we to include his list into Scripture as well.

18. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,336
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married

19. GUANO

GUANO Well-Known Member

+318
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    There is no record in the Bible that says that Noah was commanded to carry or carried a library of scrolls with him on the ark. Do you think it's an authoritative book? If so then i guess the earth is flat and the luminaries enter and exit portals at the ends of the earth...? There is no physical evidence that the book existed before the babylonian exile.

At the end of the day, I dont think it was written by Enoch even by the content of the writing alone as there are several different writing styles that are quite different within it. With that being said, I have read it many times and have a deep respect for that book and the authorship has no bearing on whether or not I think it's inspired.

20. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,501
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, no. You told us what you believe, but that hardly constitutes proof. Unfortunately there's a fair bit of "Enoch" that is sheer bunk. The BOOK OF THE COURSES OF THE HEAVENLY LUMINARIES, for instance, goes into painful detail as to how the sun moves about the earth, every word of which is utter nonsense. One would think that any writing inspired by God would, if they were going to describe such things at all, get 'em right. After all, God designed the whole shootin' match, and so presumably knows how it works. Whoever wrote "Enoch" obviously not only didn't know how it works, he didn't even suspect how any of it worked. But he gets a gold star for creativity, as he has the sun nipping in and out of "portals" and "windows" at different times of year so as to vary the length of days (which he apparently believed to be the same everywhere, oops!). The writer's notions of the causes of weather and geography are pretty hilarious a well.

So to me, "Enoch" is clearly bogus. Tell me that the sun rises in the east, fine. That's how we all talk. Tell me, at wearisome length, how the sun performs maneuvers and gyrations that it patently does not, and that it's driven by the wind, and that it and the moon are roughly the same size, and so on ad absurdum, then it's no longer a matter of colloquial speech, it's a matter of making stuff up and peddling it as fact.