• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Texas Senate drops "White Supremacy is bad" requirement from education bill

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by TLK Valentine, Jul 19, 2021.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+27,327
    Agnostic
    Single
    Texas Senate votes to nix teaching requirement calling white supremacy 'morally wrong'

I guess with all the brouhaha over CRT, we can't afford to expose our children to such a controversial idea...

Thoughts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,088
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
  3. Sodafox

Sodafox Member

+90
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    I definitely think history class should be impartial and give multiple viewpoints. I don't know what racial/cultural relations are like in Texas but would it be easy enough to bring in native and other cultural guest teachers in to give alternative views? Or, have a rotation of history teachers who all come from different backgrounds? Or require history teachers to have relationships and knowledge of different cultural interpretations as a requirement for the job?

4. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,402
    Atheist
    Private
  5. TLK Valentine

+27,327
    Agnostic
    Single
    Apparently it's far too radical an idea for the Texas Senate to want to touch.

6. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,402
    Atheist
    Private
    Obviously they are teaching a lot more than just the idea that racism is bad; after all who really needs to be taught this today?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. TLK Valentine

+27,327
    Agnostic
    Single
    Apparently not Texas students... we hope.

8. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,501
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    How did you learn that racism is bad? Have you always known, or did someone teach you this?

9. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+4,985
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
  10. ArmenianJohn

+4,985
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    So like have a Grand Dragon of the KKK come in to provide their interpretation, and then another month maybe a Nazi to talk about Hitler's accomplishments, that kind of thing?

11. TLK Valentine

+27,327
    Agnostic
    Single
    I suspect it's closer to the "schools should just be teaching the facts and not moralizing" approach.

Of course, these are usually the same people who use the "schools have been going downhill since they kicked God out" approach, which leaves one to wonder what they ever expected Him to do in there...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. ArmenianJohn

+4,985
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Teach? I doubt He'd be best employed working the cafeteria...

13. TLK Valentine

+27,327
    Agnostic
    Single
    I dunno...school budgets being what they are, a "loaves and fishes" trick wouldn't go unappreciated...

14. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,158
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
  15. Sodafox

Sodafox Member

+90
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    Assuming most Texan history teachers are white and/or initially learned history through a white lens, I meant bringing in Native, Black, and Mexican viewpoints.

16. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,402
    Atheist
    Private
    Not just Texas students, all students.

17. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,402
    Atheist
    Private
    I learned from the same people who taught me that murder was bad, rape was bad, and countless other acts of evil are bad; I learned from my parents and society. Ya don't need a special course in school to learn these things.

18. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,402
    Atheist
    Private
    I think it would be a mistake to assume all "white lenses" are the same, or that all Native, Black, and Mexican view points are the same.

19. TLK Valentine

+27,327
    Agnostic
    Single
    Perhaps, but the same people who would have been temporarily placated by a name change would expect "equal representation" in the lessons.

And between displacing the Native Americans, Slavery, Segregation, Jim Crow, Internment camps, etc... there aren't enough counter-examples to go around.

20. MMXX

MMXX Well-Known Member

+2,555
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Was it really going be 'white supremacy is bad', or really just 'white people are bad'?